Home Forums Confidence Take it further. But how??

• Take it further. But how??

riva pomerantz updated 4 months, 1 week ago 13 Members · 22 Posts
  • Passionate Pen

May 13, 2020 at 9:49 pm

I’m thinking of taking it further. But, I need your help please.

There’s a irritating voice in my head saying to take it further. I’ve been ignoring it for  some time and now I decided to give it its (un)deserved attention.

Writing is my hobby. I’ve been told that I’m good at it too. 🙂 🙂

Irritating voice, ” if you can write, why arent you making use of it??”

Me, ” of course I’m making use of it! ”

Irritating voice, “oh really. how so?”

Me, ” I write when i’m bored. I write when i dont have what to do. I also write when i do have what to do. Like, when theres laundry to be folded and dishes to be washed.”

Irritating voice, “thats not what i call making use of writing

Me, snort.

Irritating voice, ” TAKE IT FURTHER!!!”

Me, “Oww! okay okay. I’ll ask the guys on Masterpiece what they think.”

and finally the voice went to sleep.

So… heres the big question. Does it pay to use my writing skills as a full time money making job?

I know there are lots of options and all types of fields. But I’m more or less clueless what they involve. Can u please fill me in?

I’d like to hear options- pros and cons etc.

Thanks in advance!

• Passionate Pen

May 13, 2020 at 11:25 pm

Just to clarify: I’m not looking to branch out on my own… I’m wondering if there is a need for “workers” in the writing field.

• Elisheva Halle

May 14, 2020 at 11:52 pm

Funny you ask because I just got this link in my inbox today: https://thewritepractice.com/writing-jobs/?inf_contact_key=8394f59a20ef19dbd404dab79ef254294dfbc39d7283b2cb89d5189540b69330

Also- don’t try to fight with the voices in your head! You’ll always lose! Instead, tell that voice that you validate it’s desire to take your writing further, and accept it. If it fits into your schedule, considering your other priorities/values- then go for it! If not, you might have to tell that voice that although you validate it’s need, right now it wont work out for you, and writing will have to remain a hobby.

Hatzlacha!

• Passionate Pen

May 14, 2020 at 11:58 pm

Wow Elisheva this link is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing it with me!

Its basically what i thought. Writing is a great outlet and hobby, but very difficult to make a living from. Perhaps i should consider doing one of these options he listed as a side  job.

Time will tell… Thanks again for the info!

• Esther Kurtz

May 15, 2020 at 12:03 am

For writing the money is in copy. If that interests you, there are a ton a great resources to guide you.

As for myself, I wish I could write copy, but it’s really not my thing and the hustle that comes with the job is not for my nerves.

• Passionate Pen

May 15, 2020 at 12:13 am

Thank you Leiba!

I was told that a copywriter’s work goes together with the graphic desighner’s. I’m not sure thats true. Maybe I should look into it.

Like I said.. I’m just following a voice in my head.. I myself dont know how sure I am about changing course now.

Masterpiece is giving me the opportunity of asking all my questions. Thanks ladies!!

• Elisheva Halle

May 15, 2020 at 1:24 am

Most copy writing does go together with a graphic designer’s work- but you don’t have to know graphic design to be a copy writer (although I do graphic design and I studied copy writing (linked In classes and online resources) so I could offer it as a bonus to my clients)) Copy writing only interests me when I do it together with graphic design work, since it makes it more fun for me, but plenty of copy writers say they are having fun while they are doing it. There is a lot of psychology behind it, so make sure you like that before you get into it!

• Fiction Fangirl

May 21, 2020 at 10:18 pm

I can’t imagine writing fiction for a living.  I would burn out by having to meet so many deadlines to make some decent dough.

Is there such a thing as abusing your passion and running dry when you convert it into your source of income?

• Anagrammer

May 21, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Fiction Fangirl, I am so worried about that! I do not want to get burnt out of doing the thing I love most… Yet, I feel I should be making more use out of my writing if I was gifted with this ability that I enjoy… Anyone have some experience and want to tell me something along the lines of “When you turn your writing into a source of income, it only becomes more enjoyable, and you even get stronger at it!” Please??

• Passionate Pen

May 24, 2020 at 4:51 am

Hey! Fiction fangirl and Anagrammer you’re echoing the same questions that run through my mind… I would love some advice from those that tested the waters and know what’s it’s like…

• Chagit

May 24, 2020 at 7:20 pm

Passionate Pen, I feel like you wrote down exactly what was going on in my head.

I’ve been published twice- submitted two stories to a local magazine and they both got accepted.

But I can’t imagine turning in a new piece of fiction every week.

I recently looked into copywriting and there were two points that held me back from going into it- sharing them in case anyone can shed some more light

a. in order to go into copywriting, you need to be super driven, super confident and ready to cold call for clients

b. copywriting is all about writing under pressure, meeting deadlines etc

Both are not what I am looking for in a writing job.

I do write poems and song sometimes for pay– but that’s a different segment of writing altogether…

Tuning in to see what others have to say on this topic

• Word Warrior

May 24, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Hmm. As a marketer I get to write random blogs, content and other fun stuff, but it’s through my job, it’s not my actual job. Something like teaching, marketing, there’s probably tons of other jobs out there where writing isn’t your job but it’s involved, that can be a really fun way to incorporate your skill without geting burned out. And of course, doing Masterpiece on the side 😉

Elisheva, I read that link and I guess it was a bit of an eye-opener. I always thought authors kinda just “fell” into writing a novel. I guess we think most succesful people just “are”. Even though there’s a “thank you to my whole community for proof-reading this and to my wife and Hashem” page, I usually just skip it and focus on the actual content; it’s easy to forget how diffiuclt the process probably is!

Nevertheless, I think I’m going to blunder around, spit out words, and see where it takes me. If something gets published, cool. If something has potential to get published, cool. And if not, at least I know I lived a life worth living 🙂

BTW Regarding the voice- I think that some of my writing has made my clsoe friends and fam really happy. So, that counts as using it, no?

• Riva Writes

May 24, 2020 at 8:36 pm

It’s so interesting for me to read this thread and watch the process as it unfolds. I will do a whole workshop on this at some point in the future, be”H, but there is definitely a different realm that needs to be explored when writing crosses the line from a hobby and passion to a source of income. It is a delicate balance to maintain excitement and wonder when you are under deadline, no question about it. Writing under the gun is different than writing when the spirit moves you. That said, it CAN be done. It takes certain stamina and belief in oneself that the writing can come even when the muse has gone to sleep for the night :-). At least that’s how it is for me. It is not like you must sacrifice your creativity and glow on the altar of deadlines and pressure, but you must re-frame your UNDERSTANDING of your creative spark to allow for the possibility that it CAN perform and it WILL perform even when the spirit does not move you.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    July 15, 2020 at 10:44 am

I want to revitalize this thread because this topic just came up on Soferet and sparked furious discussion. I think it’s too important to gloss over. There are many, many women who genuinely believe that “there is no money in writing”. Before I give you my take, which I gave very passionately to the Soferet list, I would like to hear from you, lovely ladies.

Who thinks there is good money to be made in writing?

Who thinks you can “make it” by writing full-time?

• Bookworm

July 15, 2020 at 11:32 am

I read your take on soferet. I find it rather interesting. Someone wrote: “It is the same as lawyers and doctors. Some of them are not well off and some are. As a writer you can get a lot of money or not.” I think when we talk in general, lawyers and doctors ARE well off (at least those who learned their profession well.). I dont think that writers are the big bread-winners. Until now I was told that its almost senseless to make my writing hobby to profession. How come I never heard an opposition to this?!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      July 17, 2020 at 6:36 am

You gotta stick around with the right people, Bookworm! 🙂 Many of us on Masterpiece are very vocal about making money through writing, be”H!

• Fayge Y.

July 15, 2020 at 12:48 pm

Most people can’t make a day job of writing where their hearts are. If I were younger I’d totally have taken the CopyTribe copywriting course. But yes, a significant chunk of it seems to be the self-marketing and that’s not where I’m at now.

So I say, find a day job, in writing is great if possible but if not, it’s something. Maybe some people can swing part time to allow more time to write what they want.

• Pickupapen

July 15, 2020 at 3:17 pm

I think it depends on what you mean by ‘full time.’

Full time as in 9-6? Yes, maybe that would work.

Um, how many ladies are there who are raising a family, who can take out that much time per day and still have energy and smiles for the important people in her life?

How many people can actually sit in front of a screen all day?

And if the first two are no problem, how many are there left who can rely on someone else’s income to cover all the family’s expenses while they put their nose to the grindstone and take out a year or two to write, be published, become established, sought after, and finally well-paid?

• Esty Mendelowitz

July 15, 2020 at 10:26 pm

As someone who was quite passionately vocal on that discussion, here’s what I think:

What’s your goal?

If you want to make some pocket money from your writing, go ahead and polish some of your better pieces and submit them.  You have nothing to lose, especially since email is free, so no stamps needed!

If you want it to be a full time job or a most time job, you have to put effort into it, just like any freelancer or someone building up their own business.

Otherwise, you can get a regular job at a publication or marketing agency.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      July 17, 2020 at 6:34 am

Well-said, Esty, and thank you for being the voice of reason on Soferet. It was thanks to you that I jumped into the fray!

I agree with you 100%!

• Elisheva Halle

July 16, 2020 at 1:19 am

Are you referring to creative writing or copy writing…with copy writing, yes, creative writing you have to become famous…

• Elisheva Halle

July 16, 2020 at 1:23 am

Also…personally, I don’t want to make an income from writing…I’m a very social person and artistic and need a social life and some variety and color. Staring at words all day is hard…you need to constantly be inspired to write creatively and come up with something good…so I guess it depends on your personality…but I do want to have writing as a hobby, but it’s hard to find time for that with everything else I like to do…

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content