• Anagrammer

October 9, 2020 at 2:03 am

<p>I have this feeling of “I want to stay here forever”. In this place, in this time. </p><p><br></p>

<p>In this place. In the wonderful warmth of my Sukkah, enclosed by walls of wood and a layer of bamboo. The cool breeze, mitigated by the sun streaming through the cracks in the branches. The heady scent of the outdoors mixed with another otherworldly aroma which can only be detected by those who can’t smell, yet imagine they could. The way the shadows dance off the walls, and you can almost envision the Ushpizin flitting in and out, making their rounds to all of Am Yisroel. The delicious tastes of Yom Tov, of tantalizing dishes, all with that special ta’am of אוכל לשם שמים, one that’s only found in meals enjoyed under the Sukkah’s holy shade. The way the walls encircle me, and the שכינה is here, it’s really here, surrounding me. I don’t want it to let go of me, and I don’t want to leave its embrace.</p><p><br></p>

<p>In this time. This “זמן שמחתינו”, this חג of connecting to the only true joy that exists. This חג of ארבע מינים, of our badge of honor and pride in who we are. This post-Yom Kippur euphoria, these days of utter cleansing, of return. This tangible closeness, this yearning, this heartfelt plea of “שבתי בבית ה’” so often crossing my lips. The second set of Ten Days, the Aseres Yemei Teshuva of אהבה that Sukkos represents. These days of הלל שלם, reminiscent of a future Hallel, so near I can touch, one where we will all sing together, proclaim “הודו לה’ כי טוב כי לעולם חסדו”. These days of הקפות, holding the ספר תורה close, encircling the bimah, “הושע נא”. These days of stripping our חיצוניות, of accentuating our פנימיות, of finding the רוממות within us and expressing it in the מצוות and תפילות היום. Of leaving behind the foolishness of the frivolity of our mundane lives and embracing the foreverness of Torah’s eternal life. This is what I want. This time of such אהבה, such closeness…that Hashem says “Don’t leave, קשה עלי פרידתכם”. We don’t want to let go, and He doesn’t either. So, we stay another day; we don’t leave just yet…. One more day in Hashem’s embrace, one more day of הלל and הודאה, of מוסף and תפילות, of ושמחת בחגך, of rejoicing in the נצחיות of our Torah… </p><p><br></p>

<p>I want to stay here forever…and I think I will.</p>

• Writer123

October 9, 2020 at 5:17 am

Wow, Anagrammer! This is written so beautifully and had a such a beautiful message!! I had tears in my eyes… This piece is such a great encapsulation of Sukkos and the feelings around this special Yom Tov! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Anagrammer

October 9, 2020 at 6:01 pm

<p>Thanks so much, Writer123! The biggest compliment I could get as a writer is that my piece brought someone to tears :). I find that it’s really “כמים פנים אל פנים” (or whatever metaphor works here); the writing that stirs the most emotion in the writer usually reaches the reader in that way, as well.</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 9, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Wow wow wow! absolutely beautiful and heartwarming! My friend sent me a similar message where my heart just warmed and melted. Hashem wants us so badly and loves us more than we can even try to imagine. I’ll post her message in another thread.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content