Home2 Forums Getting Published: Books & Magazines Submitting to magazines

• Submitting to magazines

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    June 22, 2019 at 10:35 pm

I sent a piece of mine to one of the major magazines and waited and waited and…heard nothing back. Just wondering is there some kind of etiquette about when they get back to you and whether I can send it to somewhere else? Like should I take it as a No if they don’t get back to me within a certain amount of time? Thanks.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    June 22, 2019 at 10:39 pm

btw can someone explain why my account says “instructor” at the bottom? i’m definitely not an instructor! not yet, anyways!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    August 23, 2019 at 6:59 pm

No,they are supposed to get back to you. why don’t you send a follow up email with the article attached ?
    good luck!!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    November 23, 2019 at 5:07 pm

I think you are right on track!

• Chaya F.

June 2, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Can you submit the same article – say, to 2 or 3 magazines at the same time and so wait for whoever gets back to you first? Or do you submit to one and wait…?

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 2, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Chaya F., most magazines don’t like dual submissions–it’s just too complicated and frustrating. Best is to actually TELL the magazine that you have only submitted to them and will wait x amount of time to hear back if they’re interested before submitting elsewhere. It never hurts to throw in a good word, like, “I am such a fan of your magazine and I feel that my work would be best suited within your pages, so you are my natural first choice…” 🙂 Editors are people too, right?

BTW, sorry about me talking to myself here on this thread. When the system updated a little while ago, everything rolled over to show as Riva Pomerantz ;-).

• Fiction Fangirl

June 2, 2020 at 6:35 pm

I’ll jump in and ask what are the rules about posting a story here and then being accepted by a magazine?  Do magazines print submission that were already read by people online (are we past the 100 mark?).  I’m working on several short stories but keep back from posting them here in case a magazine won’t accept it.

• Chaya F.

June 2, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info Riva. I appreciate the advice.

• Chaya F.

June 2, 2020 at 6:39 pm

What’s considered a normal wait time from when you submit – to when they get back to you?

• A Willing Pen

June 2, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Depends on the publication. Some take days others tell you as a matter of course that they’ll respond in 4-8 weeks.

And then there are those that never respond 🙁

Limbo is the worst.

• Chaya F.

June 2, 2020 at 9:34 pm

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks for the info.</p>

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content