Home Forums Poetry STILL RISING – strength for these trying times

Tagged: ,

• STILL RISING – strength for these trying times

Rochel Solomon updated 1 month ago 5 Members · 6 Posts
  • HappiWriter

October 20, 2020 at 3:27 pm

<p>I really meant to publish this poem in my poetry e-mag, (btw, P.M. me if you want to join the mailng list…) but I decided to post it here. We’re all looking for some light during these times.<br></p><p><br></p><p>STILL RISING</p><p><br></p><p>Punched down</p><p>We’re still rising</p><p>Stronger, doing, trying</p><p>Despite the clouds</p><p>Fears whispering</p><p>Upon the horizon</p><p><br></p><p>We forge on</p><p>Trying to make do</p><p>Living in the present</p><p>Focusing on the future</p><p>Drying our tears</p><p>Uplifting our hearts</p><p><br></p><p>For within us</p><p>Lies a secret</p><p>Resilience</p><p>We’ve used it</p><p>Time and again</p><p>Throughout galus</p><p>Centuries of oppression</p><p>We keep growing</p><p>Never staying down</p><p>Lifting our chins</p><p>Through every circumstance</p><p><br></p><p>Tenacious, we are</p><p>Braving the cold</p><p>Clearing the ashes</p><p>Cleaving to our faith</p><p>Hanging in there</p><p>By our fingernails</p><p>With eyes to the heavens</p><p>Nowhere else</p><p>Believing, hoping</p><p>One day</p><p>Clarity will reign</p><p>Peace forever</p><p>His glory revealed</p><p><br></p><p>’Til then, we’re here</p><p>Doing our best</p><p>Lighting the world</p><p>Refusing to surrender</p><p>A stubborn nation</p><p>Are we</p><p>For that is the key</p><p>To our survival</p>

• Chaya’la

October 20, 2020 at 5:30 pm

<p>”A stubborn Nation <br>Are we<br>For that is the key<br>To our survival”<br>Love the ending! Love the beginning! Love the entire thing!😀</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 20, 2020 at 9:51 pm

HappiWriter, thank you for sharing this with us! Wow – it’s eloquent, expressive and fluid. You know, I could write, but nothing like this…! how do you get your sentences to flow, not rhyme (all poems don’t have to rhyme), but different, yet have the same meaning? I really want to know. Like the stanzas that start with “tenacious” and the few lines after it are different, yet fluid and all capture the same idea.

• HappiWriter

October 20, 2020 at 9:59 pm

<p>Thanks Chaya’la! </p><p>Thanks Passion! Trick of the trade: practice, and practice some more…</p><p>Also, when you think of a good line, write it down right away. That’s actually what happened with the stanzas you liked. After I wrote the poem, these new ideas evolved in my head.</p>

• Anagrammer

October 20, 2020 at 10:22 pm

<p>Beautiful, uplifting poem. I’m inspired, HappiWriter. Thanks!</p>

• Rochel Solomon

October 21, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Outstanding poem. Just what I needed for quarantine.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content