Home Forums Contests So You Haven’t Published Yet

Tagged: 

• So You Haven’t Published Yet

Esther Kurtz updated 5 months ago 11 Members · 18 Posts
  • Fiction Fangirl

June 25, 2020 at 12:45 am

Just do it, I’m told.  Stare fear in the face and write.  Reveal my work and risk rejection.  Disapproval.  Condemnation.  The audacity of her to articulate that in writing.

Fear drains my creativity; melts my thoughts in a puddle of shame.  Keeps me back.  To watch my ideas morph into print, plaster onto pages I can touch and turn and tear, is terrifying.

So I don’t.  Don’t do it.

Write and stop.  Finish my first story and put it aside.  It needs revision; the research is flawed.  The idea, preposterous.

Summer days await; there’s a contest I can partake in.  Fool myself to hope and try to bone up and submit something.  I’ve got twenty-one days to brainstorm, write, research, revise, and submit a story.  Last year’s attempt flunked.  I wrote and researched and revised and missed the deadline.

But I finished the first draft.

Maybe it was several months later.  Maybe it’ll be re-written until I won’t recall the original seed of the story idea.

Outside, the sun bleeds out and dies in a streak of coral.  One day down, twenty-days to go.

Word count for today:  0

Neglect the dread.  Breathe.  Focus.

You can do this.

• Esther Kurtz

June 25, 2020 at 1:46 am

YES YOU CAN!

Trust me, if plucked up the nerve to press send on a submission email. Anyone can do it.

Yes, you might be rejected. But right now, the first step is to step into the arena. Don’t wait for perfection, because that’s just an armor that you think will protect you. Listen to Nike, just do it.

(Ironically, the first piece of mine ever published was me lamenting the fact that I was a creative writing teacher encouraging my students to write and submit, but never plucking up the nerve to do it myself.)

• Elisheva Halle

June 25, 2020 at 1:49 am

FFGirl, you gotta do this! Even though you havn’t really posted any work on masterpiece, even from just your comments  I can see you’ve got talent. Major talent.

But yea, I can totally relate. Rejection is mortifying. I had it happen to me so many times, I might just be immune by now.

Just today I got a short story idea for the Ami contest and my first thought was- ‘that’s a crazy idea-if you send in that story, make sure it gets published with a pen name’ In fact, I prefer publishing with a pen name for that reason…but maybe that’s why there’s such a lack of good quality Jewish fiction- we are so quick to dismiss our ideas, they never make it past the first draft, if even to that.

We’re cheering you on FFgirl!

• Enjoys Writing

June 25, 2020 at 2:07 am

I totally get it. I also rarely have the courage to press SEND, although when I did it it’s sometimes been printed. Always with a pen name. And I’ve survived rejections, so why am I still so scared of it?

I sent in two submissions for the contest last year, but they were both not winners. Re-reading them now, I think I can do better.

I’m going to try to fix up some of my half-finished ideas and send in more than one submission this year. Maybe it’ll be selected, and maybe it won’t, but I will have some good quality fiction writing time, for better or for worse.

• Fiction Fangirl

June 25, 2020 at 5:06 am

Guys, you have touched my hearts.  So much so, I must update my word count.

Word count for today: 1531.

Thank you, toda raba, gracias.

*speechless and also a teeny bit overwhelmed in a good way*

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    June 25, 2020 at 6:09 am

Oh my, how I am loving this thread!!!!!! 🙂

• HappiWriter

June 25, 2020 at 3:49 pm

FF, exactly, well said. I’m feeling the same way 🙁
    What’s holding me back from writing is this little fear that so many awesome people are submitting. What’s the chances that mine will be better than others???
    I actually think my idea is pretty cool, but last year I thought so too…
    Well, looking back, I see why mine wasn’t accepted. It’s really cool to see the transformation one year made on my writing skills.
    So… good luck to all of us 🙂

• Anagrammer

June 25, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Go, FF! I knew you would surprise us (and yourself?) like that! You gotta get published; the world needs to hear your voice.

Yes, very true, HappiWriter. Rereading last year’s piece, I can’t even see why I submitted it. The imperfections jump out at me now. Unfortunately, I don’t have time this year to write something 🙁 (unless there’s a nes, of course). As of now, hatzlacha to all of you; I’m counting on you to win!

• Sury

June 25, 2020 at 4:19 pm

My word, FF, your words jump off the page, no matter what you are writing.

And that, is marvellous! So you could totally go and get published.

Bring out that tremendous talent for the world to see!

Best of British Luck,

Sury

• Esther

June 25, 2020 at 5:19 pm

Go for it!!!

Not only shouldn’t you be scared of rejection, you should be proud of it if it happens.  (Even though it’s so not easy, and we do of course prefer acceptance…)  Because it means that you submitted something.

Y’know the story of the company that fired any employee who didn’t make mistakes?  They claimed that no mess-ups could mean only one thing – not enough creativity and daring, not trying hard enough to put themselves out there and advance the business…

I just posted that I was rejected, I want to learn to be OK with rejection.  Anyone with me on this?

• Leahle

June 25, 2020 at 10:42 pm

I feel exactly that way… Being that I am still a Young Girl, my mother sometimes decides to send off my writings to newspapers. Baruch Hashem None of them were actually published – So many People know me from all over –  I somehow feel shy to share my so Deep fellings… But Deep down I am thankful that she actualizes my Dream… I Always Dream of becoming a professional writer, yet I cannot get myself to publish my Poems…

I don’t know what you guys feel like, but I have no Problem reading a Poem to my Students or something like that but to publish? NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS!!!…

• StoryLuver

June 26, 2020 at 2:47 am

Leahle, how about publishing under a pen name?

(Unless you know that people will recognize your distinctive style.)

It’s funny that you say you’d “never in a million years” be published,  because I always say that about teaching,  so I think you’re actually very brave!

Whatever you do,  keep writing, and at least us at Masterpiece get to enjoy your stuff 😉

• Fiction Fangirl

June 29, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Follow up time!

Ladies and gals, I apologize for not getting here sooner to grab a megaphone and hop onto the stage to thank each one of you personally for motivating me:

Esther, I’m starting to think I was paid as the mascot for Nike.  I’m in total Just Do It mode.  Baruch Hashem, first draft done; first round of revisions underway!  *takes a sip of coffee and revs up my engine*

Elisheva, I’m raising a l’chaim for your cheering.  Hope you haven’t yelled yourself hoarse!  You’re a great pal.

Enjoys Writing, I say give it all you got *hums 8th day’s harmonies*  You’re terribly brave for being a rejection survivor and forging forward.  Hat’s off to you.

HappiWriter, here’s a secret:  I was super disappointed for missing the deadline last year but that was the turning point for me when I started taking writing seriously.  I hope I’ve made great strides this year, too.

Annagrammer, I’m a girl of surprises.  Glad this one delighted you!  I’m praying for your nes.  Did any miracle happen since you last posted here?  My fervent wish is you’d say YES!

Sury, awww!  British luck!  *heart eye emoji overdose*.  Thanks for the support and kind words, girl.

Esther, you’re a warrior.  I’m ready to sit near your feet in humble submissiveness to be a recipient of your rejection-proof wisdom.

Leahle, age shouldn’t keep you back from actualizing your dream.  Your mom sounds like an awesome woman for supporting you like that.  Keep going and Just Do It!

• HappiWriter

June 29, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Esther, I saw your post about rejection. I can’t find it now so I’ll respond here.
    I was reading in the Family First that they had over 130 submissions for the COVID contest, so if yours got accepted, you really have talent.
    Keep going!! Keep submitting…
    Can’t wait to see you again in print!!!

• Esther Kurtz

June 29, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Which Esther  😉

• HappiWriter

June 29, 2020 at 5:59 pm

Ha ha! So this was directed at the Esther who said she was rejected!!

Sorry, Esther K., your submission was also awesome!!

• Esther Kurtz

June 30, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Woah! So interesting. I don’t know many Esthers. They usually all go by Esty or Esti or if they really want to stand out, Estee.

People who go by Esther are a different sort (my own very unscientific and vague theory)

All the Esthers on here, raise your hand. 🙂

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content