Home Forums Getting Published: Books & Magazines Request for verification

• Request for verification

• Menucha Levin

July 28, 2020 at 10:46 am

I would like to email Ami Living requesting a verification email for submissions.
    If you’d like to join me there may be strength in numbers.
    Here’s the email address:
    info@amimagazine.org

b’hatzlacha,
    Menucha

• Enjoys Writing

July 28, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Thank you for taking the initiative.

I was wondering if I was the only one who saw a difference between the submissions procedure at the Ami magazine and other (Binah, Mishpacha) magazines. I have had submissions go to print in the Ami with no prior notice. I wasn’t notified that they’d received my submission, nor that they were reviewing it, accepted it etc.- I just found it in the print magazine, sometimes attributed to other authors. (I did always get paid, to their credit).

In other magazines, I’ve gotten emails that my submission has been received, and after a while, I receive an acceptance or rejection (ok, more often rejection, but sometimes acceptance) email, followed by yet another email where I can see the final version, plus a last-minute email letting me know when my article actually goes to print.

So thank you Menucha, I will definitely be following your lead!

P.S. I don’t mean to bash the Ami- I love their magazine and am super excited when they accept any of my submissions. The frustration is simply present because I keep sending there due to the fact that some of my pieces feel perfect for certain columns (Our Days, Truth and Consequence), yet I can hardly submit the same pieces elsewhere later on, since they rarely send it back (officially reject), virtually hijacking some of my writing for eternity.

• Menucha Levin

July 28, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Some people mentioned that last year
    they did receive an acknowledgement that their submission for the fiction contest was received but not this time. I think if all of us write in about this, they might take notice.

• Fiction Fangirl

July 28, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Menucha and Enjoys Writing, thank you for speaking up.

I thought I was the only one left out in the dark.  The Ami fiction contest was my first submission ever.  Not fun to be treated this way.  Feels bewildering, especially when you know this wasn’t a ‘cold’ submission (for lack of a better word), but an open invitation that was initiated upon Ami’s part.  I would think they hung out a sign with flashing arrows proclaiming:  Summer fiction contest!  Submit your stuff here!  That would lead me to believe the magazine staff had a little chat to set up a system prior to hanging out a shingle.  That they were anticipating submissions.  Whatever happened along the way may remain a mystery.  But a bit of communication would be appreciated considering the fact that there are other competitive magazines on the table.

Here is the contact information for Ami magazine.  I don’t know if we should be reaching out to ‘submissions’ or whoever is in charge of the fiction contest.

General: info@amimagazine.org
    Subscriptions: subscriptions@amimagazine.org
    Advertising: ads@amimagazine.org
    Distribution: distribution@amimagazine.org
    Letter to the Editor: letters@amimagazine.org
    Submissions: submissions@amimagazine.org

On the other hand, I keep asking myself if a lack of response is an indication that it’s time to move on.  I’m a newbie at this.  Can I submit my story somewhere else?  What are the legalities involved?

• Bookworm

July 28, 2020 at 3:08 pm

If you haven’t received a definite “no”, you can’t submit to another place! Might cause mix-up if both want your story in the end. You never know…
    I would send another email to Ami asking straight out, if they will publish your story or not. (I did it before, and we’ll see if they answer…)

• Menucha Levin

July 28, 2020 at 3:23 pm

I think we should all write and ask submissions if they are still considering our story
    for the writing contest but if not then we will submit it elsewhere.

• HappiWriter

July 28, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Good idea, Menucha!

• Menucha Levin

July 28, 2020 at 3:32 pm

I found the original ad for the summer writing contest
    with this as the email address:

Rivka Wilenkin
    Editorial Coordinator
    Ami Magazine
    Phone: (718) 534-8800, ext. 203
    Email: rivka@amimagazine.org

So it would be a good idea to send our request for verification to Rivka Wilenkin
    with a cc to submissions@amimagazine.org

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      August 2, 2020 at 12:39 am

This email address is not in use anymore, ladies. I will try to find out the best place to send feedback and let you know…

• Springbird

July 28, 2020 at 4:35 pm

FYI: I submitted my contest entry on July 12 and received the following response on July 19:

Thank you for your submission to Ami Magazine.

At the present time, we will not be accepting it for publishing.

Due to the number of submissions we receive we cannot offer feedback on your writing.

Don’t want to raise any false hopes, but if you did not receive a reply I would think they are seriously considering your entry. Hope you win!

• Fiction Fangirl

July 28, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Springbird (love the name!), thank you for sharing what your contest experience has been like.

I appreciate your positive outlook.  It’s sweet to consider that the responseless stories have a chance of winning.  I should learn to wear rose-colored glasses like you!

The thing is, and this is a question for Masterpiece members who are familiar with the submission process- do magazines generally keep stories in limbo like that if they’re considering accepting the piece?  I am unfamiliar with submission etiquette.  If you’re a veteran writer who’s been through the submission process, I would love for someone to walk me through the process.

And that my friends, is an open invitation for the stage.

*settles in a chair with a bowl of popcorn*

• Bookworm

July 28, 2020 at 4:54 pm

Really? That would be interesting! I am sorry for the rejection you got!
    I submitted my story way before, and you submitted yours close to the deadline (15th of July) so it could be that by the time you submitted yours, they had already enough stories and when I submitted mine their submission inbox was still half empty. I don’t know, just guessing…

• Springbird

July 28, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Thank you FF.

“Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently”-Henry Ford

So I added 500 words to my story and will submit it elsewhere.

• Elisheva Halle

July 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm

I also received a reply that they are not accepting any more stories at this time…oh well, I hope my story will be published by another magazine!

• Fiction Fangirl

July 28, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Elisheva, when did you submit your story when you were told they weren’t accepting any more stories at that time?  Did your submission response appear similar to Springbird’s?  Because Springbird’s response was that they weren’t going to accept the story for publishing (ouch Springbird…sending virtual hugs your way ?).  Bookworm submitted her story early and didn’t get a response yet.  I submitted my story on the 15th and haven’t gotten a response yet, either.

Hm…starting to feel like a sleuth.

• Menucha Levin

July 28, 2020 at 5:53 pm

I submitted my story on July 7, exactly one week before the deadline. Haven’t heard a thing since but I have the feeling that if a story was accepted they would notify the writer. In other words no news is not good news but hopefully I’m wrong.

• Bookworm

July 28, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Just checked, I submitted mine on the first of July. I haven’t heard from them either, but I now asked them to, at least, confirm that they got it!

• HappiWriter

July 28, 2020 at 6:12 pm

I sent mine July 5th, and didn’t get a response. I sent an email requesting verification on July 8th, and they never responded…

Last year, right after I submitted I got a response: “Thank you for your submission. Please expect to hear from us within two weeks”
    This year: nada!

Riva, do you have any idea what that’s supposed to mean?
    Does no response mean they’re considering it, or they never received it, or that the contest is just not organized this year?

• Bookworm

July 28, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Hi it’s me again.
    Today I asked again for confirmation and I just now got this reply:

Thank you for your submission to Ami Magazine’s Fiction Contest.

At the present time, we will not be accepting it for publishing.

Due to the number of submissions we receive, we cannot offer feedback
    on your writing.

• Menucha Levin

July 28, 2020 at 6:54 pm

I finally got my answer and it was no.
    Oh well, I’ll be submitting it elsewhere now.

• PassionforWriting

July 28, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Hi!

I’m just logging onto this, but not quite following. Can someone please explain?

• Enjoys Writing

July 28, 2020 at 9:19 pm

I actually wasn’t referring only to the fiction contest; I’ve had similar non-reactions to general submissions in the past.

Rivka Wilenkin, mentioned above as editorial coordinator, has been particularly helpful to me in the past, but it seems that not everything is in her jurisdiction.

• HappiWriter

July 31, 2020 at 1:52 pm

So I emailed them and got the same reply two minutes later. It’s probably automatic…

oh well…
    I can’t believe no masterpiece members won!!!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content