Home2 Forums Reading Room Reading suggestions

• Reading suggestions

Fiction Fangirl updated 1 week, 2 days ago 6Members · 14 Posts
  • HappiWriter

December 22, 2020 at 6:55 pm

Hi everyone!! So as we know, in order to be a good writer, you have to read a lot.

I’m looking for excellent reading material, preferably novels. It doesn’t have to be frum authors, but the writing should be appropriate.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!!

• Bookworm

December 22, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Indeed, reading is a very important part of writing!

I don’t know what topics you like, but I once read Beyond Hope. A great, great and very thick novel!

Incredible! by Rabbi Seltzer is as the title says Incredible! The number two that came out recently is also great!

If you like short, true stories, then you will love People Speak by Chaim Walder!

The Unanswered Cry by Nechama Kramer

Against The Wall

All of them are Jewish books.

Hope this helps!

• HappiWriter

January 4, 2021 at 1:41 am

Thanks Bookworm. I read Incredible, and it was, well, incredible!! I started reading Incredible 2 but never finished.

Anyone else have suggestions?

• Fiction Fangirl

January 4, 2021 at 2:11 am

I can’t believe I missed a reading suggestion thread…! I have many suggestions, some of them are short stories I’ve torn out from magazines and stuff, but you’ll get the picture:

• Dancing in the Dark by Shoshana Mael
    • Map the Starlight, Sisters under Siege, Chains, and Rocking Horse (not out in book form yet) by Leah Gebber
    • Shortchanged, Full Harvest, and The Grey Lines (not out in book form yet) by Etka Gitel Schwartz
    • Rachael Lavon- Check out the Calligraphy story <i style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>No Need for Knives (I think?) and her short novelette <i style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>Breathe (Family First).
    • Facets by Esther Kurtz (previously published in the Family First, not out in book form yet)
    • Sun Inside Rain by M. Bassara
    • Miracle Ride and Invisible Me by Tzippi Caton
    • Metamorphosis by Dr. Zev Zelenko
    • Shadows on the Moon by Bracha Goykadosh
    • Modeling Clay by Rochel Braverman
    • As Long as I Live by Aron Margalit
    • Counterfeit Lives by Avraham Krakowski
    • The Boys in Cabin #3 by Chaya Hertzberg
    • Candles in My Window by Beth Firestone
    • The Harp and The Morning Star by Meir Uri Gottesman
    • Too many of Dina Neuman’s The Back Page in the Ami Living to count
    • Many short stories by Rhona Lewis I’ve yanked out of Binah magazines
    • This is America and A Stranger to My Brothers by Henye Meyer
    • Rappaport 55 & Sundays @ 10 by Dov Haller
    • Dov Haller’s Encore serial in the Mishpacha (get a subscription just for this story alone 🙂

…And many, many, many more but my brain just fogged up sorry 😆

• HappiWriter

January 4, 2021 at 3:03 am

Whoa! @Fiction Fangirl . This is a big list!! Where to start? I need it numbered: most recommended – least… 🙂

• Fiction Fangirl

January 6, 2021 at 11:26 pm

How ’bout creating a TBR (To be read) list? I dearly love many of these books/short stories. If I were you, I would start with Dancing in the Dark, Sisters Under Seige/Map the Starlight, and subscribing to all magazines if possible!

• PassionforWriting

January 7, 2021 at 12:37 am

Yes, reading the magazines, like Mishpacha, Ami and Binah, and all the other ones is a great place to start too! I personally love them.

• Novice

January 4, 2021 at 3:08 am

No need for knives popped out at me – I saved that Caligraphy cuz of that story, and have gone back to read it since….a really amazing peice

• HappiWriter

January 4, 2021 at 3:20 am

Is that the one by Rachel Lavon? About the boy who’s arm was amputated…?

That story was sooo good!

• Novice

January 4, 2021 at 3:25 am

Yup, that’s it! So good to share the joy in good writing 🙂

I want to mention another book here – one that I love and have just started to reread – ‘Between the lines’ by Anna Gottleib

It’s a collection of her personal memoirs and the writing is really special.

• Fiction Fangirl

January 6, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I’m so happy to find ‘No need for knives’ fans here! I’ll also mention Dov Haller’s short story ‘Road trip’ because it was so awesome. Which reminds me, if you can get your hands on a copy of his book ‘Captive Audience’, please do so. I’m trying to recall the name of his 2020 Succos short story but my memory is failing me.

Oooh. Rhona Lewis’s ‘Teddy bear doctor’ was poignant and published in the Binah several weeks ago. I didn’t get to tear out that story ☹.

Novice, thank you for your rec! Sounds interesting…something worth looking into.

Anybody else? Would love more recs!

• PassionforWriting

January 7, 2021 at 12:39 am

Mordechai Weinberger’s books, Momentum and Mastering Relationships are great books too. He also a book called Alive, but I didn’t really read that one.

• Elisheva Halle

January 7, 2021 at 12:51 am

I’m enjoying Gila Arnold’s new serial, Dream On. And I haven’t read a novel in a long time, but being on Masterpiece has encouraged me to start again!

• Fiction Fangirl

January 7, 2021 at 3:33 am

Oooooh, big fan of Gila Arnold’s Dream On. Thank you for mentioning it!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content