Home Forums Contests Post-submission let-down

• Post-submission let-down

Enjoys Writing updated 4 months, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 21 Posts
  • Menucha Levin

July 7, 2020 at 2:23 pm

I rewrote the ending and just submitted my short story to Ami’s summer fiction
    contest. I chose Tuesday as it’s a mazaldik day plus davened as I sent it off.
    But what should I do now? I have several other writing projects to work on but feeling
    antsy while waiting to hear any news. Does anyone else feel the same way?

• HappiWriter

July 7, 2020 at 3:19 pm

OMG! totally! join the club 🙂

• HappiWriter

July 7, 2020 at 4:38 pm

How long do they take to get back?

• Menucha Levin

July 9, 2020 at 8:24 pm

I just saw Ami magazine online and they already have the first story in the fiction contest in it. How can that be when the deadline is July 15?
    Does anyone know what’s going on there?

• Enjoys Writing

July 9, 2020 at 8:49 pm

I may not be right, just guessing, but I think they pick the best one out of the pool of submissions they currently have, and continue choosing weekly (or maybe a week or two ahead,) based on the entries they’ve received.

So even though one is chosen already, they probably don’t select the last few before the fifteenth.

Just my thought.

I also wonder if they notify the “winners”, or expect them to find out about it by seeing it in print?

I guess we’ll know the details if any of our Masterpiece friends’ articles get selected.

• Bookworm

July 9, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Hi,
    I sent a submission to them as well. They never got back to me though. Did they get back to you? At least to confirm that they have received the submission…

Regards,
    “Bookworm”

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    July 9, 2020 at 10:37 pm

My understanding of the Ami contest is what I posted here: https://masterpiece.rivapomerantz.com/forum/topic/heres-where-you-post-contests/

It would be SO awesome if some Masterpiece members win!!!

• HappiWriter

July 10, 2020 at 1:54 pm

I didn’t get confirmation either…

Riva, put in a good word for us, please!! 😉 😉

• Esther

July 11, 2020 at 7:34 pm

Neither did I.  Glad I’m not the only one.  Is there anyone that did get a response?

• Menucha Levin

July 12, 2020 at 9:37 am

Haven’t received anything yet.
    Maybe they have been overwhelmed by the number of submissions already sent.

• Bookworm

July 12, 2020 at 11:48 am

I sent my submission in quite early and I haven`t received a response. I guess you will get an email if your story will be published…

Riva, would you know anything about this?

Hatzlacha Raba to everyone who sent their story, even though I would like to win as well 🙂 Hashem will choose the right ones I am sure!

Best regards,
    “Bookworm”

• Menucha Levin

July 12, 2020 at 1:15 pm

You are right, “Bookworm”.
    Hashem is the ultimate Judge of
    of everything, from fiction writing contests to major world events.

• HappiWriter

July 12, 2020 at 9:58 pm

If your submission gets accepted, let us know…

Want to cheer!!!!!!

• Enjoys Writing

July 13, 2020 at 3:20 am

It would be wonderful to have my submission accepted, but I wonder if I’d share, because if I did, you’d all know my name;). The joys of anonymity and the fear of rejection go hand in hand, I’m afraid.

• Fiction Fangirl

July 15, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Hi ladies, following up here.  I’m curious if anyone got a response from Ami after submitting something for the contest?  Like an automated response maybe?

• HappiWriter

July 15, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Nope, I even emailed them again asking for confirmation, because I was afraid they didn’t receive it. Didn’t get a response for that either…

• Menucha Levin

July 15, 2020 at 4:55 pm

No, I haven’t heard a word from Ami yet either. But I discovered how to cope in the meantime. I have been working on a few articles, doing research and sending pitches to several publications so my mind is occupied by other things. And whatever happens, happens.

• Fiction Fangirl

July 15, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Wow, that’s strange.  I remember emailing Ami last year with a question and immediately received an automated response.  A few days later, someone got back to me.

Riva, is this the norm?  Not getting a response?

Menucha, glad you’re keeping busy.  I’ve started researching a specific era for historical fiction now.  Yay!  It’s kind of fun moving onto a new project.

• Enjoys Writing

July 15, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Just adding my two cents here- I really enjoyed the No-Good Goodmans, which was the first week’s fiction story. I don’t know if the author is on here, but I can understand why it was selected. The message was profound and so funny, and the writing was great! I don’t know if my submission was that good.

• Bookworm

July 15, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Dear “Enjoys Writing”

I am sure your story was the best you could write and that`s what really counts!
    Who was the author of this first story by the way? Just curious…

Best regards,
    “Bookworm”

• Enjoys Writing

July 15, 2020 at 11:34 pm

Of course, now that you’re asking, I can’t find last week’s Ami anywhere (it was just on my breakfront, promise!). If my memory serves me, it was Meira Rothman (or something similar).

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content