Home2 Forums Creativity Popcorn

• A Willing Pen

May 25, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Hey guys! Here’s a fun idea ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t know why but growing up we called the Pass the Story game “Popcorn”. I thought it’d be fun to play here!

Here’s how it works: One person starts a story. They’re either timed, or they narrate until someone else calls out Popcorn. The first person must immediately stop, mid-sentence or word. The next person must continue the story however they want. This goes around until everyone falls asleep, or the story makes absolutely no sense, whichever happens first!

So, some rules for our community:

Minimum: You should write for at least one minute, or five sentences.

Maximum: Try not to spend longer than five minutes or up to 250 words, your call.

The focus is really more to spur creativity and stream of consciousness, so I’d recommend setting the timer and going for it! Have fun, and let the story go however you want!

(Also, when I play this with my husband, he likes to kill all my characters, travel back in time to revive his characters when I take revenge and make them die as well, and he also turns everyone and everything into a chicken nugget. True story. Don’t ask ๐Ÿ™‚ So, for my own happiness, and because he can’t play here, heh heh, let’s add the following rules:

No time traveling to undo what someone else did, or switching the truth, aka, “except, he wasn’t a farmer, he was actually…a chicken nugget!”

Let characters live for at least two posts, before letting them meet their ultimate demise

Try to avoid too many chicken nuggets ๐Ÿ™‚

Ready? Let the games begin!

• A Willing Pen

May 25, 2020 at 6:41 pm

I’ll start ๐Ÿ™‚

There was a tall man on a horse blocking her path. He was wearing a gleaming suit of armor, and carried a spear that directed the suns rays right into her eyes and made her squint.

“Halt! Who goeth thereth?” He demanded in a blood-curdling voice. She shrieked, and immediately began to run back from where she’d come. To her dismay, another figure on a horse appeared, blocking this path as well.

“Now, now, little girl” he sneered, “don’t be frightened. We’re only curious what’s in your basket”.

“My-my basket?” she stammered, stepping off the dirt path and into the shadow of a convenient pine tree. “Ok, I’ll…I’ll show you”

They guided their steeds forward eagerly; she waited until they were just close enough before turning sharply on her heel, and throwing the basket high in the air.

Her twisting motion, coupled with the force of her thrust, sent the basket spinning towards the branches, and the cover came flying off. The two men jumped back, but not quick enough; for out of the basket emerged….

POPCORN ๐Ÿ™‚

• StoryLuver

May 25, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Wow, I was literally just thinking about this idea! Thanks for putting it out here.

…emerged four small labeled bottles, which rolled softly onto the grass.

“Not sure why you’d be interested,” the girl shrugged. The taller of the riders grunted, and picked up one of the little containers. He squinted at the item, then turned to his peer.

“What’s this, Oswald?” he grunted. “It ain’t glass.”

“Hmm?” Oswald leaned in, squinted for a better look. “Whoa.” He poked the thin transparent material and it dented in response.ย  “Highly suspicious, this thing.” He bent down, picked up the remaining 3 bottles and shook them vigorously. Pale pink liquid sloshed in response.

“Whence did you receive this?” the first knight demanded.

She shrugged. “I found it. Up in a box, in the loft. I have no idea what it is.”

“Perchance it is whiskey,” the second man said. “Perhaps I shall–” He pulled off the cover of a bottle, lifted it to his mouth, ready to take a swig.

“NO!” yelled the rider and the girl, simultaneously.

Popcorn.

• HappiWriter

May 25, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Popcorn!

The tiny white kernels flew in every direction. They swirled in the breeze, bouncing against branches, floating along with the swaying foliage.

One formed a high arc and landed in the snarling black horseโ€™s mouth. With a loud snort, it lunged forward, jerking its rider along. The knight tugged at the reins, muttering under his breath, but the horse galloped forward its eyes focused on this new white confetti. It dug its nose into the small mound of popcorn and began devouring every last bit of the salty snack, including the pine needles the wind added to the mix.

The second horse, seeing its friend’s excitement, lurched to followed the otherโ€™s lead. Soon, the forest clearing turned to a mess of clattering hooves, crunching branches and cursing riders.

The girl inhaled. Now that the formidable men were distracted, she held her skirt and flew like the wind back to her time machine.

POPCORN!! (for real)

• HappiWriter

May 25, 2020 at 8:17 pm

LOL! I started writing this before storyluver so I didn’t see she beat me to it…

LLOL!! sorry, just realized I didn’t read all the rules…

• StoryLuver

May 26, 2020 at 8:03 pm

I can follow up on Happiwriter’s thread,ย  since it has nothing to do with mine, right? So, here goes…

“So what happened?” her brother asked when she reappeared in their bedroom.ย  “Did you manage to rescue Don Manuel from the Inquisitors?”

“No,” she sighed,ย  plopping down onto her bedspread. “Some horses ate up all the popcorn.ย  I think we need a better bribe.”

“Not my flashlight!” her brother hissed. He hugged the tool to his chest.

“Well, what else?” she insisted. “It’s the best thing. I mean… Unless…” Her face wrinkled in consternation. “We can’t do that,ย  right? It’s too crazy. No, that’s just insane. ”

“What? What? Tell me!” he begged. “What’s your idea?”

Popcorn…

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    May 26, 2020 at 8:53 pm

OMG–this is SO FUN!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content