Home2 Forums Getting Published: Books & Magazines Pitching for an interview

• Pitching for an interview

• Chagit

June 25, 2020 at 4:57 am

I have a really good idea for an interview- think Ami front cover kind of idea

But I don’t want to spend all the time interviewing and writing if it’s not going to be accepted.

How do I go about pitching an idea?

Anyone know who I would send it to? What I would need to include?

Thanks!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    June 25, 2020 at 9:04 am

Hi Chagit! You’re always welcome to pitch an idea to Ami by sending it to their email editorial@amimagazine.org. If they like the idea but don’t know you as a writer yet, you can show them samples of their work and see what they say. Just be sure that you have the interviewees potentially lined up so that the idea is a feasible one–and tell them that you’ve got it nailed down so they’re more likely to see it as viable. Hatzlacha! Let us know what happens!

Just one important pointer here: No matter how great the idea and no matter how awesome the article, you have to just keep in mind that the magazine industry is very complicated and dynamic–things are always changing FAST. You can never count on being the cover story and NEVER lead your interviewees to believe that they will make it to the cover because covers can get changed at very last second. If something huge hits the news a few minutes before printing, they may need to swap out the cover and the writer will not be notified because it’s just par for the course. Of course, it’s fun when your story is a cover, but never let that be the judge of whether you’ve done a great job.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content