Home2 Forums Reading Room PICS ONLY! Show us what you're reading!

• PICS ONLY! Show us what you're reading!

riva pomerantz updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 9Members · 34 Posts
  • riva pomerantz

Administrator
    November 19, 2020 at 7:59 am

This is my current lineup :-). Just dug a couple of these gems out from the back of my closet, throwback to my teen years! (You didn’t know I was such an intellectual, huh?)

What are YOU reading right now? Show us a pic! 🙂 This will be fun!

• Elisheva Halle

November 19, 2020 at 2:40 pm

Here is what’s on my nightstand, and couch where I read…I’m reading to vanquish the dragon and carry me in your heart to research for the novel I’m working on. Map the Starlight I just finished, very well written. Secrets of the Soul-a book on psychology through a Torah lens, totally up my alley, Circle, Arrow Spiral is a book I’ve read at least twice, but constantly reference and I’m teaching Sefer Yehoshua, hence the book about Nach. Can’t wait to see what everyone else is reading!!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      November 22, 2020 at 8:59 am

Wow, Elisheva, what an incredible lineup!! Delicious stuff for the mind, the heart, and the soul. Lucky students! 🙂

• Fayge Y.

November 22, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Re Secrets of the Soul: I’m very excited it came out in English. Rabbi Reisman referenced it quite a bit a few years ago so it became an official son-in-law sefer of the year one year.

• Bookworm

November 19, 2020 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for opening up this thread Riva! Such a cool idea!

So, right now I am reading Miracles In Switzerland, a really amazing book. The author, who is originally from Poland, writes about what happened to her when she came to Switzerland and amongst other things, how she lived in the Kinderheim (children’s home) in Celerina (a place in the Swiss mountains), which was led by my mom’s great uncle and aunt.

Second book I read is How To Talk So Little Kids Will Listen. Also a great book with tools you can learn how to speak effectively to kids ages 2-7. A must-read for parents (I am not one yet, but I am interested in this topic.) and really for anyone dealing with kids around this age.

Happy reading!😃

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      November 22, 2020 at 8:58 am

Wow, great stuff, Bookworm! You reminded me of how much I used to love How to Talk so Kids Will Listen–didn’t even know that there was an edition for little kids. Empathetic listening is such a must in healthy parenting. Go, you!

• PassionforWriting

November 20, 2020 at 3:05 am

OMG! I love this thread! I love this book: When Love is Not Enough by Rachel Schmidt. I can’t get enough of it – I wish she has more books, but I don’t think she does.

Lemons in the Fog by Chaya Rochel Zimmerman – a shout-out to her for this amazing book! And Riva’s book Split Ends which I’m in the middle of!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      November 22, 2020 at 8:57 am

Awww…Passion, I JUST finished re-reading Split Ends, and it was so much fun! 🙂

• PassionforWriting

November 22, 2020 at 9:56 pm

Yup, it’s an amazing book!!

• Fayge Y.

November 22, 2020 at 2:45 pm

I’ve gotta learn how to do this kind of techy stuff.

I just finished Wildlands.

I might have a road trip coming up. I think I have to get one of Riva’s books I haven’t yet read.

• Rochel Solomon

November 23, 2020 at 2:17 am

Diamond Dust is a classic;)💍

• Fayge Y.

November 24, 2020 at 12:30 am

I read it. But – thanks, Google – Friedrich Nietzsche — ‘The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.’

Maybe I’ll work backwards.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      November 29, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Fayge, my dear, all you do is take a picture of the book, transfer it to your computer, and click on the little camera icon in your reply to upload it to your post. Presto! Tech-o! 🙂

• Rochel Solomon

November 23, 2020 at 1:46 am

I have been so so so so MIA, I have been finishing my undergrad and I am one clep left (computers blagh) and I just finished Bio today. HUZZAH! Now I have time to fall down the rabbit hole that is masterpiece and read all these books. I am the slowest reader and therefore I will read like 7 books at once. These are the ones that I’ve invested in now. PSA do yourself a favor, order Lidingo, it’s about R’ Wolbe’s school in Lidingo that he started for young women who survived the holocaust. It is the most hopeful book I’ve read in a while. Buy it as a chanukah present to yourself – you’re worth it;)

• Fayge Y.

November 23, 2020 at 2:09 am

Lidingo was magnificent.

Rochel, and everyone else, have you read The 28th of Iyar by Rabbi Emanuel Feldman?

• Rochel Solomon

November 23, 2020 at 2:13 am

No! Send us a pic and synopsis so that I can get enticed and add a 6th book to my current reads that I do with the time I don’t have! I’m always down for a good book suggestion!

• Mali

November 23, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Rochel, how are you enjoying Lori’s?

Can you tell us a bit more about Bird by Bird and When Breath Becomes Air?

• Rochel Solomon

November 24, 2020 at 2:46 am

Bird by Bird is a writing book – much like On Writing Well or The Elements of Style – by Anne Lamott (literally one of my favorite writers out there). She also writes about life and philosophy in a very funny, self-deprecating, poignant, raw, and emotional sort of way that only real writers could. It’s just the perfect synthesis of writing and life. I learnt so much about both from this novel. Highly recommend though I haven’t finished all of it yet.

When Breath Becomes Air is a book that should be sold with a tissue box attached to it. I’m actually re-reading it. If you think that Maybe You Should Talk to Someone was about facing your mortality then oh boy…

It’s an autobiography about Paul Kalanithi, a neurosurgeon who at the height of his career gets diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. You know how the stars are light that’s beauty you can’t capture with pictures or words? This book is a light that I cannot describe to you in words. And it’s beautifully written.

• Mali

November 25, 2020 at 11:29 pm

Ordering both of them-now! Thanks. Hope I’ll be fascinated, too.

• PassionforWriting

November 24, 2020 at 12:35 am

What kind of book is Maybe you should talk to someone?

• Mali

November 24, 2020 at 2:00 am

It’s about a therapist, in therapy, in a nutshell. There’s a lot more to it, but I’m not good at summarizing. Maybe Rochel can give you a better explanation:)

• Rochel Solomon

November 24, 2020 at 2:32 am

You got it! Well, that and her journey with all her clients and her confrontation with her own mortality. But I will say this about that novel, there are some parts that are not so clean. I skip those parts but I let everyone know before they purchase it. What I love about the novel is how she humanizes herself and her clients in therapy. It also is just a great look into the inner psyche of someone who spends their life dedicated to holding secrets and the psychology behind it all is fascinating.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      November 29, 2020 at 7:16 pm

Wow, Rochel! Congrats on the amazing academic achievements! Awesome book lineup! I read Lidingo many years ago and it was a really unbelievable story. Nice to see you out of the rabbit hole for a bit! 🙂

• Rochel Solomon

November 23, 2020 at 2:07 am

Elisheva, I just lent my best friend Carry Me in your Heart. I use the term lent loosely, she basically stole it from me after I bought it because she claimed I was already reading like 700 books (only 5 like, chill) so I never got to read it yet. She told me it was very factual. Honestly I wish there were more books on Sara Schenirer’s edifying reign. Even just an artscroll biography, there are now a lot out there about so many fierce, empowering women who are now a touchstone of our torah community. Sara Schenirer was a potent powerhouse and not as much is written about her (though we did get a great biography of Vichna Kaplan). I hope you’re writing about that era, I would love to read something about that time. It’s a piece of history every beis yaakov girl should familiarize herself with. Happy readings, happy writings!

• Anagrammer

November 24, 2020 at 12:51 am

So I finally got around to gathering the books from every corner of the house for a photo-op. 😉

2 separate pictures because they are 2 completely unrelated categories.

1 – College textbooks – what I’m supposed to be reading now. (One of them, Handbook for Writers, by Troyka and Hess, is actually a good resource, especially for formal and professional writing, grammar…)

2 – The other picture – what I’m reading instead:

Just Love Them, by Yisroel Besser, is the biography of Rabbi Dovid Trenk zt”l. I knew him personally in his lifetime and can tell you that this book is a must-read for every parent and educator.

Rabbi Avigdor Miller Speaks Vol 1, compiled by Rabbi Simcha Bunim Cohen shlit”a: R’ Miller zt”l speaks for himself.

Why We Rejoice – a collection of essays on Chanukah (and Purim) from contemporary rabbanim, organized for day-by-day study.

102 Stories That Changed People’s Lives, by Rabbi Tzvi Nakar (orig. in Hebrew) – as a substitute teacher in an elementary school, this has been an incredible go-to for me. The stories are the kinds with “wow!” punchlines, and kids (especially tweens) love them.

Our Man in Jerusalem, by Rabbi Nachman Seltzer. Delicious read for a history buff or any Jew who loves our city Yerushalayim. This book is a peek in the city’s past, through the eyes of Yerushalmi Rabbi Yisroel Gellis.

Last but not least, Wildlands, novel by M. Kenan. Haven’t started it yet, but eager to dive in.

• Rochel Solomon

November 24, 2020 at 2:51 am

Just Love Them is a masterclass on Chinuch. Yisroel Besser’s works belong in museums. The stories, the last chapter, I cried the whole way through. It was a journey. When it’s really tough for me I always chant, “It’s not a bad day; just a hard one.” One of the best biographies I’ve ever read.

• Anagrammer

November 24, 2020 at 3:33 am

Probably THE best biography I ever read. I cried my way straight through. I’m biased though because I knew Rabbi Trenk zt”l and saw his chinuch in action with his talmidim, grandchildren, any child he met…

I didn’t read the Olam Haba one yet, but it’s in the lineup of the R’ Miller books I need to buy. I treat myself every once in awhile. 😉 Thanks for giving me that extra push to go out and get it sometime soon.

• A Willing Pen

November 24, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Anagrammer, thanks for the recommendation of Rabbi Trenk zt”l’s book. I love biographies but had no idea who this Rabbi Trenk was so wasn’t sure if it was worth purchasing.

Riva, you should commission out of all the sales here. 😉

• Rochel Solomon

November 24, 2020 at 2:52 am

I’m also a huge Rabbi Miller fan! Did you read his book on Olem Habbah? You can’t put it down.

• A Willing Pen

November 24, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Yep, Rochel. It’s a must-read!

• Fayge Y.

November 25, 2020 at 1:34 am

The 28th of Iyar is a diary Rabbi Emanuel Feldman kept while on sabbatical in EY for the 1966-1967 academic year. Those last few months were very dramatic, and the journal covers the month of Iyar, and The 6 Day War. His writing is incredibly elegant, and you are really, really there. Warning: You will cry sometime in the mid20s. But it’s ok, they’re good tears.

It was published a few years ago, for the 50th anniversary of The 6 Day War.

• Rochel Solomon

November 26, 2020 at 12:28 am

Gripping! I need to get my hands on this one.

• Rochel Solomon

November 26, 2020 at 12:35 am

Also, I would recommend thirftbooks to all. It is a website that sells books for ridiculously cheap! Listen, Jewish books are expensive and there are a myriad of reasons why that is but english books don’t have to be! You guys should get on it! And I’ve been on it and have found a gem or two from the Jewish book department. Usually it’s the books that have made it to the secular culture as well or authors that were lauded and respected throughout (Like Esther Jungries’s books. I am a groupie and check everyday for her old books to go one sale). Also Artscroll is having a 20% off sale for chanukah for all those that want to take advantage…

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    November 29, 2020 at 7:14 pm

I just re-entered the world of 1984 and I have to qualify my booklist by saying that it is definitely NOT a very clean book, unfortunately :-(, so please don’t take this as an endorsement.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content