Tagged: 

• Original Titles

• Naomi Shulman

October 15, 2020 at 11:11 pm

How original does a book title need to be? If you google just about any idea, it’s taken by some project somewhere – whether it’s another book or a television series from the mid 1900s… Curious to hear from other authors about what you consider when choosing a title for your book? Thanks! -Naomi

• PassionforWriting

October 15, 2020 at 11:33 pm

Good question, Naomi! I think it really depends on the person, the book, the editor etc.; it’s a personal preference. But, I think titles can be subtle, very subtle, some more revealing and some straight to the point. Some people titles can be very subtle (and I almost wonder what they have to do with the actual story), and some titles are more revealing and clue us into the book more. That’s my take 😉

• HappiWriter

October 16, 2020 at 3:55 pm

<p>That’s the thing with google. On one hand, you’ll always know if you’re being original by googling it. On the other hand, everyone has access to everything. If you’re not original, it’s easier for people to know. </p><p>It gets worse if you plan on selling online. You don’t want people to google your product and find a thousand other things.</p><p>The question is how much you care. I’m working on a fantasy novel now. Originally, I planned for my MC’s name to be Gilda — something I randomly made up in my head. Then I googled it and a weird actress with that name came up, so I had to change it. But some things don’t matter so much. Like, I wanted the kingdom’s name to be Majensa. I googled it and some random, old pharmacy came up with that name. Who cares. It’s very hard to find a mix of syllables that doesn’t exist.</p><p>Ok, now that I went off on a random tangent… let’s get back to your question. It depends on how famous the title is. If it’s something many people will recognize as a famous television series in the mid 1900s, don’t use it. If it’s some obscure book written a hundred fifty years ago, you’re probably safe.</p><p>There are billions of people in this world, and limited amounts of word combinations. But at the end of the day, google is good. It forces you to dig deeper into your creativity. </p><p>Hatzlacha!</p>BTW, we had a discussion on Masterpiece about titles before. Maybe you’ll find it helpful: https://masterpiece.rivapomerantz.com/forums/topic/a-clever-title-goes-here/?no_frame=1

A Clever Title Goes Here ;)

• Naomi Shulman

October 16, 2020 at 5:19 pm

Thank you for your replies!I figured out a title that’s similar to what I was working with before, but seems better with regard to google-searches. There’s still time – I consider my titles tentative until the book goes to production and I’m still on the first draft. :)Have a great Shabbos!Naomi

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content