Home2 Forums Fiction Ok, here we go :) Prompt #1

• Ok, here we go :) Prompt #1

Anagrammer updated 2 months ago 11Members · 60 Posts
  • Novice

November 8, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

So, here’s the first prompt: ‘If you leave now, you lose everything.’

The time limit is 30-40 min.

I found this one online through a prompt generator (https://writingexercises.co.uk/random-character-traits-generator.php)

There are some more awesome prompts on reedsy.com Reedsy also runs weekly contests.

Reminder – the prompt is here so we can share our ideas, start writing and have fun 🙂 It can be unfinished, a grammar buffs horror, or a mush of the thoughts that came out. If you like what you came up with, you can always polish it up and share it in showcase or feedback.

Here are the rules I think make sense- we can always adjust based on how it goes. You can join at any time (even if you’re reading this months later) as long as:

1 – you haven’t read the other responses yet (to keep it fresh)

2 – you write for 30-40 minutes

Feel free to start your own prompt thread. I’ve labeled it so we can follow some sort of order, but it does not need to be me doing the prompts – start your own thread and just use the following number 🙂

Let the writing begin 🙂 🙂 Can’t wait to see what we all come up with!

• PassionforWriting

November 8, 2020 at 6:02 pm

Hmm! That’s a tough one… So mine will just be a few sentence, if that’s okay 🙂

I’m understanding it to mean that if you don’t finish your task at hand, or if you don’t face a fear head-on, if you avoid something, you will lose that opportunity; you will lose that golden moment. If you’re in the middle of a task, finish it till the end with scheduled breaks. If you’re scared of something you need to do, then approach it HEAD-ON! Do not allow your fear to debilitate you. You are stronger than it! So, take a deep breath, a drink of cold water, give yourself some pep-talk, and face it!

(And now, I must follow my own advice for something that prompts a lot of fear in me).

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 12:18 am

True!

• PassionforWriting

November 10, 2020 at 12:20 am

Thank you, Anagrammer! I’m glad you appreciate my modest paragraph 😏 lol

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:57 pm

Nice, PassionforWriting. Interesting thought.

• Writer123

November 8, 2020 at 8:40 pm

“If you leave now, you lose everything.”

I debated my next move. Leaving would mean losing everything I had worked on for the past 25 years. But it would also mean I might save my mother. The clock was ticking.

Since I had discovered my evil twin, I had been doing everything in my power to hide our relationship from my parents, especially my mother. My twin brother had been kidnapped at birth but my parents had been told he was a stillborn. My mother has been mourning the loss ever since. Every accomplishment of mine always has some sadness to it because it could’ve been two of us.

When I was 12 I stumbled upon my him accidentally when I was on a bus. We stared at each other and I got off the bus and ran all the way home, shaking. I dared not breathe my discovery to a soul. A week later, I got a letter in the mail from some kind of official sounding company. My brother had joined an evil force and was out to get my parents for abandoning him.

As a kid, he had bounced around different foster homes until he finally ended up in an orphanage. Though it wasn’t legally allowed, he had kept up with his last foster mother – an evil witch who apparently cared deeply for him and felt sorry that he had been abandoned. The two worked tirelessly to locate his biological family until he found me.

He threatened in the letter that he would kill me if my parents found out he was alive. He wanted to do all the dirty work himself. In a sense, that made my job easier, but I couldn’t bear the thought of him laying hands on my parents.

For the past 25 years he has been planning his appearance. I had no choice but to help him. Though I am 37, I have not yet married and left the house because I fear for my parents.

I knew this day was coming closer. For the past two months I have not slept, for I would wake up from any little noise, assuming it was my brother.

I had just run out to buy some milk and came back home to that ugly, evil face standing in my living room. My face became pale, my knees started shaking.

“NOOOOOO!” I screamed, and then clamped my mouth shut.

“Get out!” I seethed through clenched teeth.

“No”, he replied ever so calmly, with a lopsided grin. “They know I’m here.”

It was too much for me. I slowly sank into the big green armchair my father falls asleep on during tea time.

As I focused on slowing my breathing, I heard faint whimpers from upstairs. My mother. He had locked her in the attic, just as he had planned. I had put a ladder by the attic window, in case his plan actually happened. I mentally patted myself on the shoulder for that move.

“If you leave now, you lose everything”, he said with a glint in his eye. If I left, he would tell my parents that I had planned this all, but if I left maybe I could save my mother?

• Anagrammer

November 9, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Writer123, I love this!! So much drama!

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:56 pm

Incredible, Writer123. Interesting plot. I can see this as a full-page novel.

• Writer123

November 11, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Thank you!!

Sherry, I give you full permission to write the novel! 😉

• Novice

November 13, 2020 at 6:13 am

Nice Writer123! I like the dual role you put the main character in.

• Rochel Solomon

November 9, 2020 at 3:29 am

I am the slowest writer ever I didn’t get far at all!!! But I loved the prompt so I just rolled with it. My story ended shaping up to be about two single women who lived together taking care of their dying mother…I did not get far at all! But here’s the 40 minute prompt. P.s Love the secret twin bit! Super fun!!

If you leave now you loose everything.

She was using this as leverage, as an ultimatum.

Little did she know that Gila had nothing to loose.

Ayala pulled the keys from the hanging rack, the keychains jangled and twisted around her fingers. She threw them as far as she could, they hit the door frame and fell onto the welcome mat.

How ironic.

“You want out? Fine! There’s the keys to the apartment. You can leave whenever, mommy may forgive you but I never will.” Ayala hissed those last words at Gila through gritted teeth. Her eyes were wild with rage as Gila picked up the keys. She fiddled with them for a minute, guilt and shame made her a statue, but the door was her ticket to freedom. “I’m…sorry” She sputtered, but they were false words and they both knew it.

“Gila…” Tzirel called from the back room, “Ayala? Can someone please get my glasses from the living room, they’re by the recliner.”

There was a stony silence, one that cut open true thoughts and feelings with surgical precision. There wasn’t much more to say.

“I got it” Ayala called grabbing the glasses that were actually on a glass coffee table. She glared at Gila, “Don’t you have somewhere to be?”

Gila took one last look at the musty apartment. It’s drab curtains hung like death itself encroaching on any hope of sunshine. Carpet stained and faded failed to cover the scratched linoleum. She and Ayala were supposed to put up wallpaper on Monday to cover the peeling paint. What would her Monday look like now?

“I really am sorry” She said more forcefully this time, then without looking back she unlocked the door. It made an echoing creaking sound. The hallway shuddered as the door slammed behind Gila. Her shoulders heaved. The price of freedom was exhausting.

• Anagrammer

November 9, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Like! Especially this sentence: “It’s drab curtains hung like death itself encroaching on any hope of sunshine.” Awesome!

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:55 pm

Amazing, Rochel. You’ve employed a lot of skill and technique in this piece. Talent.

• Novice

November 13, 2020 at 6:18 am

Wow, Rochel – this is really descriptive! I kinda want to know the whole story…..I’d love to read it if you do decide to finish!

• Anagrammer

November 9, 2020 at 3:56 pm

Here goes. Sorry about the abrupt ending; time was up😉. And I have no idea where or when this takes place… It just popped out, completely raw. Without any further ado…

“If you leave now, you lose everything.”

Bertha has taken great care of me ever since Mama died. She practically married me off to her cousin Jacob. I have never doubted her before. Yet something in me, a niggle somewhere down where the baby is, tells me this time is different. Like when Jacob left the manor the last time, and I knew it was different. And I was right, then; he didn’t come back.

If you leave now, you lose everything. What will I lose?

“Hannah,” Bertha is suddenly pleading. “You mustn’t leave.” Her eyes crinkle in disappointment, not compassion.

My heart shivers in my chest. I feel suddenly cold. Then I straighten, stare into those crumpled eyes, look away. I can’t bear to see Bertha like that. Angry yes, grim yes, but disappointed, hurt… I’ve let her down. I clutch my parcel tighter, and it rests against the growing bulge at my waistline.

“But the baby…” I croak. Swallow, Hannah, swallow. I swallow, and it comes out almost like a gasp. Bertha lays a hand on my shoulder and it doesn’t feel like when she nursed me back to health after I had the mumps. Nor does it feel like the day I married Jacob when she taught me all I needed to know to be a Jewish wife. It feels like a farewell. Suddenly, I flinch. I’m leaving Bertha here, the only Jewish worker left at the Stevenz residence. “Bertha, come with me.” I know she won’t, though, and she mustn’t. She is old, and the journey won’t do her any good.

“No.” She doesn’t speak further, almost as if she doesn’t trust herself, lest her voice give way. She loves me, I suddenly realize, though she’s never told it to me. I love her, too, and leaving Stevenz Manor means I am leaving the only mother figure I’ve had for over a decade. If you leave now, you lose everything. It’s Bertha I’ll be losing.

But I am my own now. I am a married woman, almost a mother. The word fills me with a strange giddiness, a childlike thrill. Jacob won’t return, but I will be a mother.

If I leave now, I’ll be far gone before our masters returns from their voyage overseas. If they ever return. Rumor has it the mistress is ill with a mysterious ailment.

Bertha’s worn face fades from my mind, and Mama’s young one fills it.

“Hannah, my child.” I set down the garment I am scrubbing. Her gentle fingers hold my chin, her skin rough against mine, the fingers calloused and bleeding from sewing elegant dresses for the mistress. “There is a land called Palestine. It is our land, the Jewish land. One day, someday, we will go there.”

“When, Mama?”

“When G-d releases us from this exile. When we are no longer slaves.” I wanted to ask more, but Mama simply stroked my face and left me alone with my washing.

Now I am ready. Mama is no longer with me, but I have not forgotten her promise; today is “one day, someday.” Jacob has left, and Heaven knows where he is or if he is even alive. My child is kicking inside of me, begging to be born in a better land.

“Bertha, I must go.” Her eyes fill, and she is suddenly heaving on my shoulder. As her soft, wrinkled skin brushes against my neck, it’s Mama’s reassuring caress I feel.

“If you must, Hannah,” she finally says, not yet letting go.

I kiss her, and she holds me tight, then releases. Reaching into her apron, she pulls out a gold coin. “For the way.” A hoarse sob bubbles in my throat.

I lift the hem of my servant dress, cross the threshold.

I don’t believe I am losing anything – could lose anything – but Bertha. A slave has nothing until she isn’t a slave. I will finally be mine, and my baby will be mine, too. The Jewish land awaits.

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:53 pm

Wow. What a developed piece. You’re one quick worker. (And amazing writer, of course!)

• Anagrammer

November 11, 2020 at 2:31 am

Thank you, Sherry. I appreciate that.

• Writer123

November 11, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Wow!! I could feel the tension and emotion!

• Novice

November 13, 2020 at 6:22 am

Just wow. How in the world do you do that in such a short time?! That was an awesome read!

• Anagrammer

November 13, 2020 at 3:38 pm

Thank you, Writer123 and Novice! I’m so happy you enjoyed:).

• HappiWriter

November 9, 2020 at 4:30 pm

LOL! The hardest part was not looking at what others wrote…

I snuck a peek before posting mine. Everyone, you’re all awesome writers!!

Here goes…

Akhmed jostled his way through the crowded subway station passing hurrying business men, construction workers, children loaded beneath their backpacks — infidels.

He thought of his family back in Syria — his mother’s tears as she wished him farewell and his father who shook his hand, a glint in his eye. Akhmed had squared his shoulders, steadied his trembling fingers, and grasped his father’s hand. He had to seem strong. Unafraid.

Presently, an announcement sounded over the loudspeaker. Akhmed shook his head, freeing himself from the past, filling his mind with visions of future paradise. He must move; he must go…

With one last burst of energy, Akhmed jumped onto the platform, tugged at his vest.

And…

Allah Akbar!!!

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 12:14 am

HappiWriter, you rock! This is insanely good!!

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:52 pm

There’s a lot I like in this. The varied sentence structure – I love that list with that one-worder ‘infidels’. I like your expressions. This one made me smile: “children loaded beneath their backpacks”. Chilling ending.

• Writer123

November 11, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Very interesting spin on the prompt! I like the originality!

• Novice

November 13, 2020 at 6:25 am

Love it, HappiWriter! It’s cool to think there might be some sentiment in the heart of a suicide bomber…..don’t know if I ever saw it that way.

• Rochel Solomon

November 9, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Happi writer my gosh! So much story with so little words! I would never dare to dream about going into the mind of a suicide bomber, but you did it with such finesse!

This is my favorite paragraph – “Presently, an announcement sounded over the loudspeaker. Akhmed shook his head, freeing himself from the past, filling his mind with visions of future paradise. He must move; he must go…”

Awesome work!

• HappiWriter

November 10, 2020 at 1:53 am

Thanks Anagrammer! Thanks Rochel!

• Rochel Solomon

November 9, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Anagramer…no words. You’ve filled them all with your story. It’s gripping and moving and the imagery adds depth to the emotion. Love it!

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 12:50 am

Thank you, Rochel! I’m touched☺.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    November 9, 2020 at 10:39 pm

OMG, I am loving every single, delicious word on this thread!!! Keep it up, all of you! Wow!! ✍🌟🔥

• Mali

November 9, 2020 at 11:05 pm

I echo that! Wow! People really are creative.

• PassionforWriting

November 9, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Wow!! So much creativity and energy pulsing here! I’m embarrassed about my meager paragraph… 🙁 I just didn’t have much patience to create anything longer….

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 12:17 am

Anyone else lost their italics? I’m mourning over them😭… @riva, can this technical glitch be looked into? Pretty please please? Italics are worth even more to me than proper spacing;).

• Novice

November 10, 2020 at 2:31 am

I’m Loooving all the stuff posted here but had to stop reading cuz I know I’ll be too shy to post once I read all the awesome stuff up there. Just saying, this was way scarier than I thought it would be!

Passion – thanks for sharing your thoughts, no matter how short. The point is just to share, so you did great 🙂

I’m excited that I actually got down to writing – this was really motivating (if a bit scary for me). Next time though, I think I’ll leave more of my time for editing 😉

Any reflections on the process? Best parts? Hardest but worthwhile parts? Do we do this again?

Thanks again, Riva, for creating and allowing a space for us to give this a shot!

Ok, time to post what came out.

‘If you leave now, you lose everything’

They keep saying that to me, and I don’t know why. They’ve seen me here before. They know I’ve been contemplating a long time before making my move. I’m finally at the door; can they just – get – away.

It’s been forever since I first came here – well, dropped off is more like it. My brown leather suitcase is the same it was then, if slightly more worn. It’s the only home I’ve ever known. The hard cots that take a lifetime of experience to learn how to keep warm in. The worn floorboards that held us through years of play. The adults who dropped in and out of our lives, always thinking themselves the experts, when it was us who knew who really ruled the home.

They’d never learn. Sure, we were wardens of the state. We knew that well; it isn’t like we never wondered where we came from. But we didn’t speak of it often. That wasn’t because it was forbidden, nor because we didn’t want to. It was because of the kindness on their faces. Who would cry in front of Teacher Sara? The one who brought you warm milk and make your toast the way you liked it. You’d never yell at Nurse Sudy. She’s been tucking you into bed since you were only three.

And I don’t want to hurt them either. Though these days I’m doing a terrible job of making them proud. Haven’t done my chores in a year. And though I’m quiet most of the day, the children are afraid. I think it’s because every time I want to hug them, all I do is yell. The adults I’ve had in my life all this time, I just keep breaking their hearts. Their soft faces twist at the sight of my pain. I’m fourteen now, old enough to know my choices.

They tell me that if I leave now, I lose the stipend I’d earn if I stayed till I was 18. But I know they mean a whole lot more. They say money can help in the world I’m about to step into – I don’t care. Wooden benches can’t be too different from a stiff cot, and the grass looks more inviting than these old splintered floors. I’m off on my own.

The trees can’t hear if I yell. Noone will look sad if I get angry. Why, I’ll snap every last leaf off those pretty tree limbs, and see if I care! The earth can bear my weight. It seems to me the brutal world out there is waiting to greet me.

‘If I leave now, I’ll have spared you some pain’

And as I step down, I miss a step. I tumble into a puddle and am covered in mud. I stand. Let myself feel the grime, and finally, allow myself to feel utterly knocked down.

I don’t turn back. I know they’ll cry.

Right now, it’s my time.

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 3:05 am

WOW. This is incredible, Novice! I <i style=”font-weight: bold;”>feel it!

• Novice

November 10, 2020 at 3:52 am

Thanks, Anagrammer! That means alot 🙂

• PassionforWriting

November 10, 2020 at 3:40 am

Thank you, Novice!

Wow wow!!! love it! it’s amazing how much can happen with so little words!

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:48 pm

A great piece of writing. It reads very authentic – and not just because of the first person POV.

• Novice

November 13, 2020 at 6:27 am

Thanks, Sherry and Passion – this is actually the first thing I’ve written in forever, so I really appreciate the feedback!

• arty10k

November 10, 2020 at 3:04 am

Your writing is all really awesome! Here’s my puny contribution.

‘If you leave now, you lose everything.’ These words kept reverberating in my head, as I faced my husband of fifteen years. “I’ve had it with your moods,” I told him. You’re a couple’s therapist for heaven’s sake, I thought to myself. Can’t you get it together? “Maybe we should go for help,” I said instead.

Our marriage had been rocky from the week after Sheva Brachos when my husband had no shirts to wear because his wife spent all morning davening. Usually he didn’t pay attention to the mess, but if his clothes weren’t in his drawers in the morning, the sparks would fly. For years, ketchup splattered across the ceiling marked the time my husband lost it because his bookworm wife burnt supper once again.

Despite these sporadic episodes, we built a good life together. Kids, jobs, a house, a car, even a small nest egg for retirement. Today, I was fed up. If I left now, I would be alone, maybe forever. My husband could lose his job, his standing in the community. And what about the children? “Can we please go for help?” I spat out.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry”. He raised his hands in surrender. “Maybe we can do it ourselves?”

“You see why nobody ever comes to you…they’re embarrassed too…But maybe we can try it, though…Meet in your office…hash things out for a change”

“You’re sure?”

“I guess…” I was still angry, very angry, and intensely frustrated, my heart beating a staccato rhythm against my ribs.

We drove to my husband’s office, silently, the words ‘If you leave now, you lose everything.’ repeating again and again in the deep recesses of my mind. ‘Where did I even hear those words?” I wondered.

Then it hit me. I was six years old, my grandmother was talking to my mother. “I was a newlywed,” she was saying. “My husband yelled at me, and I ran home. ‘Is he usually kind?’ Y-yeah. “Go back home!’ My mother pushed me out the door. Nobody’s perfect. If you leave now, you lose everything.”

And these words, embedded in my six year old brain, helped to save my marriage.

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 3:14 am

Nice, arty10k! I like how she speaks about herself in the third person :).

I find it fascinating how we each took a completely different spin on the same prompt, no?

• Novice

November 10, 2020 at 3:51 am

Yeah, Anagrammer, that’s my favorite part!

• PassionforWriting

November 10, 2020 at 3:42 am

Love it, arty10k!!

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:47 pm

Great plot. Lovely prose.

• Writer123

November 11, 2020 at 11:24 pm

Love this!!!

• Novice

November 13, 2020 at 6:29 am

Love what you did with this! And your own writing is really awesome too!

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 3:06 am

I’m ready for another prompt! This was awesomely fun!

• HappiWriter

November 10, 2020 at 3:53 am

Totally Anagrammer. Novice, thanks for the idea!! I like that it’s no pressure, kinda unedited… So perfectionist me still feels comfortable posting…

BTW, it’s so cool to see how one sentence can bring such varied ideas. Everyone’s brain works differently. With creativity, your own self is your greatest asset.

Sometimes I read other writers’ stuff and think, OMG, this is so good – I’ll never come up with ideas like that. You know what? You won’t. But that’s not the point. You are you, with your own experiences and emotions. You’ll never think of someone else’s ideas, but then again, no one else will ever think of yours…

• Anagrammer

November 10, 2020 at 4:01 am

I love how you put it, HappiWriter.

It’s amazing how we are all writing our own inspiration… and then feeling good about expressing our own creativity while also being awed by one another’s creativity! It’s a very eye-opening exercise.

• Rochel L.

November 10, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Hi all!

I didnt get a chance to introduce myself yet…. but this thread is too fun to skip!

A writing prompt with many different spins on it is literally “what the doctor ordered” in a community of writers…. cant wait to read what everyone else wrote!

Here goes my spin…. in poem form…. I know, I know, its dated…. but it works for me so…..

“If you leave now you lose everything”

Hanging in there

Lured by promises,

Of the next representative

That will be with me shortly,

My call is very important to them

So, I am told,

By the cold tinny voice

Who thanks me for calling, and asks that I hold,

It has been a half hour now

I tap my foot and wait,

shift the phone from ear to ear,

Breathe in, then out, and meditate,

It could be just one more moment,

And a rep will shine onto the line,

Imagine crossing this call off

That ever-growing ‘to do’ list of mine,

Its many moons later

My thenar is now stiff and taut,

If I bang the phone down now

It will all have been for naught,

Who will bear witness?

To me faithfully “holding the call”,

Music floating through my subconscious

As I give the call my all,

Evenings roll into dusk,

Days turn into a year

and here I am

Faithfully, hanging in there.

• Rochel L.

November 10, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Posting it again…. hope there will be proper spacing this time….

Hanging in there

Lured by promises,

Of the next representative

That will be with me shortly,

My call is very important to them

So, I am told,

By the cold tinny voice

Who thanks me for calling, and asks that I hold,

It has been a half hour now

I tap my foot and wait,

shift the phone from ear to ear,

Breathe in, then out, and meditate,

It could be just one more moment,

And a rep will shine onto the line,

Think of crossing this call off

That ever-growing’ to do’ list of mine,

Many moons later

My thenar is now stiff and taut,

If I bang the phone down now

It will all have been for naught,

Who will bear witness?

To me faithfully “holding the call”,

Music floating through my subconscious

As I give the call my all,

Evenings roll into dusk,

Days turn into a year

and here I am

Faithfully, hanging in there.

• Anagrammer

November 11, 2020 at 2:35 am

YES! Exactly, Rochel. You’re amazing with words, and wow – creative way of expressing the prompt!

• HappiWriter

November 11, 2020 at 8:44 pm

Hi Rochel, welcome!

This poem is awesome!! It had me laughing and thinking…

(I had to google what “thenar” means 😉 )

• Novice

November 13, 2020 at 6:30 am

Yeah, Rochel – I’m still waiting on the line. LOL! Thanks for this laugh – and validation 🙂

• Mali

November 10, 2020 at 11:01 pm

Rochel L., I am laughing out loud, literally.

Aah. You nailed it.

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:46 pm

Exactly what Mali said. And amazing how you achieved this in a poem.

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Wow. Which entry should I comment on first?

What talent!

• A Willing Pen

November 11, 2020 at 12:01 am

Nice idea. And now that I’ve read all the entries, heretofore, I’ve disqualified myself from this exciting exercise.

• Anagrammer

November 11, 2020 at 2:36 am

I vote we let Sherry go for it anyway😉. What do y’all say?

• HappiWriter

November 11, 2020 at 8:43 pm

😀

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content