Home2 Forums Creativity Novel Writing Software!

Tagged: 

• Novel Writing Software!

HappiWriter updated 2 days, 23 hours ago 4Members · 10 Posts
  • Fiction Fangirl

January 6, 2021 at 7:24 pm

Here is a totally biased review of 3 novel writing software I have/had tried before. Note: I reviewed these according to my own needs. And no, this is not a sponsored review 😜. Sorry for omitting the price options and links to the websites! They do have free trials.

P.s. Would love to hear what system(s) you’re currently using, if you like them, and why.

Novlr

Pros

• Gorgeous and clean design
    • Extremely intuitive to use
    • Has day, evening, and night modes
    • Cloud-based

Cons

• Is not outlining friendly
    • Super slow and wonky loading
    • No response from tech support these days
    • Doesn’t support images
    • Text formatting is odd-ish
    • Cannot archive old projects

Dabble

Pros

• Used to have great customer support
    • Easy-ish to learn
    • Cloud-based
    • Scene note cards are awesome
    • Can pull out trashed projects for revival

Cons

• Doesn’t support text formatting like bullet points or numbers
    • Supports the upload of images to a minimal and odd-ish degree
    • Forces me to use books scenes that I don’t want to use at the moment
    • Cannot organize my thought dump notes as I wanted
    • No archiving old projects
    • Cannot export notes/scene cards to word docs
    • The chapter exports aren’t the cleanest of formats out there

Scrivener

Pros

• Can supposedly format text, but somehow it doesn’t work for me
    • Can include images (!)
    • Can include hyperlinks
    • Can include pdfs
    • Can organize notes better if I manage to learn how to
    • Has scene cards option

Cons

• Cannot for the life of me learn to master this thing
    • Cannot format the text the way I want to
    • The scene card option isn’t working for me
    • I think there is no customer support
    • THE SOFTWARE ISN’T CLOUD-BASED!!!
    • Not sure if I have more than one license to use for a different computer
    • Hate the stored scriv files method on my computer

Oh. I just remembered that I have also tried Novelize, Reedsy Editor, Word, Google Docs, Living Writer, and Squibler, but those reviews are for another time…

• HappiWriter

January 6, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Wow that’s a whole lot of software to try.

@fictionfangirl, I use scrivener and it works really well for me!!

It comes with a very detailed tutorial. Did you see that?

It is a little hard to format text, but truthfully, you don’t really need fancy formatting when writing a novel. (and I’m a graphic designer who needs everything to look perfect 😉 ) I actually like that you can export it to be formatted like a book.

I believe you can use the license on two computers, and there’s a mobile version too.

If you have questions, I’ll be glad to help you out!

• Fiction Fangirl

January 6, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Happiwriter, I’m in search of the elusive perfect system that doesn’t exist 😆. I’m basically looking for a system that’s intuitive to use, has a gorgeous design, and can organize all my brain dumps and random scenes in one tidy area. Not sure how realistic my expectations are.

Here’s a secret: I’ve been hoping to master scrivener for quite some time now. I started the uber-detailed tutorial but my motivation petered out pretty early. You seem so scrivener savvy! Care to pm me cuz I would love some assistance!

FF

• HappiWriter

January 7, 2021 at 10:37 pm

I believe you can do all that on scrivener.

K.M. Weiland has a blog post about her workflow on scrivener, and possibly a video too. She also has a downloadable template. Check it out by searching “scrivener” on her site.

Truth is, scrivener doesn’t have the most “beautiful” design, but it has a lot of organization tools. There are project notes and scene notes and comments. Plus, you can organize your worldbuilding, character profiles, pictures, random ideas… Before this, I had multiple word documents for each of these and it was a nightmare if I wanted to check anything up.

I can’t tell you how it compares to other programs because I never tried others. But unlike other programs these days, you can buy a permanent license, you don’t have to pay monthly.

• HappiWriter

January 7, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Actually, I think the mac version of scrivener is nicer. They came out with an update on the mac version before the windows version. Officially, they’ll give a free upgrade when it comes out.

• Fiction Fangirl

January 11, 2021 at 3:38 pm

You make great points. Therefore, I have not abandoned Scrivener. I shall try and try to master this software until I am a Scrivener success.

• PassionforWriting

January 7, 2021 at 12:43 am

What is Novel Writing Software?

• Fiction Fangirl

January 7, 2021 at 3:36 am

It’s a place that houses writing-related projects such as novels in one area. For example, if it’s cloud-based, you can write in the app wherever you go at any given moment. You can organize your notes in one place instead of having them fly around your desktop. Check out Novlr to get an idea: https://novlr.org/

• Fayge Y.

January 13, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Every time I see this thread title, I think what is so innovative about this writing software? 😉

• HappiWriter

January 13, 2021 at 2:56 pm

When writing a novel, the software organizes all your scenes, chapters, notes, comments, revisions, research, worldbuilding, characters etc. in one place.

Instead of having it all in separate documents floating all over your computer…

😀

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content