Home Forums Creativity Nanowrimo Veterans on Board?

• Nanowrimo Veterans on Board?

Chaya’la updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 22 Posts
  • Fiction Fangirl

October 7, 2020 at 4:39 pm

<p>Hullo lovely ladies,</p><p>With Nanowrimo around the corner, I’m curious to hear from Nanowrimo veterans what their experience was like. Is it really possible to write a novel in a month? How do you properly prepare and gear up for the challenge? Do you outline in ‘preptober’? </p><p>Having a deadline for a writing project kinda forces you to get things done. Which is lovely. On the other hand, I’m terrified that I may end up entirely wrung out with a glob of 50,000 messy words by December. I envision myself emerging from November with official creative burnout and a strong aversion to making eye contact with words of any kind. Is my imagination taking me on a wild ride? Are my expectations inaccurate?</p><p>חג שמח to all 🤩</p><p>Fiction Fangirl</p>

• Fiction Fangirl

October 7, 2020 at 4:43 pm

<p>Since I’m an illiterate in the coding world, just curious about what the <p></p><p> stands for? Is it supposed to be a paragraph break?</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 7, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Me too! What is a Nanowrimer? and I definitely feel the same way, about writing.

• Fiction Fangirl

October 7, 2020 at 11:19 pm

<p>Hi Passionforwriting, </p><p>Nanowrimo stands for Nation Novel Writing Month which occurs every year in November where people from all over the world try their hand at writing 50,000 words in 30 days. You can check out more about this challenge here https://nanowrimo.org/</p><p>And no. I did not intentionally color my post purple (even if purple has been my favorite color since forever). Help! How do I unblock the color so my posts can be easy on the eye?</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 12, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Interesting contest! Is anyone doing it?

• PassionforWriting

October 7, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Fiction Fangirl, why is your post purple? Did you make it that way or it just happened that way?

• HappiWriter

October 12, 2020 at 2:56 pm

<p>I don’t think people really come out of nanowrite with a decent story — more like a mess of words that you can take apart afterwards and construct into something decent.</p><p>I never did it and don’t plan on, because to me, it seems like a waste of time and creative energy. On the other hand, if you have a story you want to develop, this can be a quick way to force yourself to work through it.</p><p>Good luck!!</p><p>If you do it, let us know how it goes… :)</p>

• Fiction Fangirl

October 12, 2020 at 11:14 pm

<p>Happiwriter, thank you for sharing your honest take on Nanowrimo. I was afraid that Nanowrimo will waste my creative energy. Moreover, I’m unsure about my level of preparedness for the whole thing. Should I have started planning my novel six months earlier so by the time Nano swings around I can unleash 50,000 words in one go? My story idea is pretty recent so I didn’t even have the opportunity to gear up six months ago. I’m not sure if I can create content through force, either.</p><p>*hollers*</p><p>Nano veterans, where are you? Me need input on previous experiences! 🙀</p><p><br></p>

• Chaya’la

October 12, 2020 at 8:15 pm

<p>Fiction Fangirl, you just totally broadened my vocabulary with “Nanowrimo”. Do I still live in the dark ages for never having crossed this writer-ish term? Hmmm… But good thing you kept me from missing the party! I’ll be rooting you on girl! No such thing as writing burnout in my book….Well never tried 1 month novel writing, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. So let me know how it’s coming along. I’ll be part of your cheering squad! (especially since I 💖 the color “Purple”!😉)</p>

• Fiction Fangirl

October 12, 2020 at 11:19 pm

<p>Now here is another refreshing take on Nanowrimo…Aw, so sweet of you to offer support! As of now, I’m still pretty much on the fence about Nano, but with such an amazing cheering squad offering motivational services, I may be inclined to jump right in!</p><p>Considering you think the pros outweigh the cons, I’m curious about what’s keeping YOU back from doing the challenge. Care to share?</p><p><br></p>

• Sherry

October 13, 2020 at 12:00 am

<p>A month is a long time IF you can spend it all on writing. </p><p>The truth is that once you’ve done your homework and you have a good plot with relatable characters, 50,000 words is not such a daunting word count. </p><p>Fiction Fangirl, I totally see you doing this.</p><p>For those who want an encouraging push: writing isn’t all that as complicated as some (highly talented!) masterpiecers seem to believe. </p><p>What works for me is having one main character arc and two or three complementary ones.</p><p>I also make sure that every sentence does one of three things:</p>

1. Adds action to bring the story forward
      2. Heightens the conflict
      3. Reveals the character

<p>And one other thing: ‘uncomplicate’ matters. Too much research (unless it’s historical fiction or other especial settings), can be counter-productive—ditto to too much planning. I often add foreshadowing after most of the novel has been written.</p>

• HappiWriter

October 13, 2020 at 1:15 am

<p>”I also make sure that every sentence does one of three things:</p>

1. Adds action to bring the story forward
      2. Heightens the conflict
      3. Reveals the character”

<p>Love this, Sherry!!</p>

• Chaya’la

October 13, 2020 at 7:56 pm

<p>I knew you were gonna flip this back to me FF😜 Let’s just say I’m a Record Setting Procrastinator… In other words I usually decide to join a contest once the winner has already been chosen….So this ain’t working for me. BUT I do pride myself with a cheerleader personality- Go for it! I’ll be seeing you and your Fantastic Fiction Story at the finish line!</p>

• Anagrammer

October 13, 2020 at 1:31 am

<p>FF, it’s always been my dream to do Nanowrimo. But HOW??? That’s the real question. Do you wait until November 1 to start or are you ‘allowed’ to plan before? Anyone else want to chime in? ;)</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 13, 2020 at 1:34 am

I know! That’s also my question.. how?? Its too daunting for me..

• Sherry

October 13, 2020 at 1:37 am
    • Anagrammer

October 13, 2020 at 1:41 am

<p>It’s not just the actual rules… I guess my question is not ‘how?’ as much as ‘how???’ if anyone gets my drift…</p>

• Sherry

October 13, 2020 at 1:51 am
      Well, you’ll never know, Anagrammer ’til you’ve done it. 😉
      <p>How? Great question.</p><p>Seriously though, there’s a ton of awesome resources on their site like this questionnaire to help you get to know your characters:</p><p>https://blog.nanowrimo.org/post/172764338136/51-questions-youve-probably-never-asked-about</p&gt;
    • Anagrammer

October 13, 2020 at 1:54 am

<p>Ahh, Sherry, I just checked out that link, and goodbye, I’m outta here. I’m late in the game!!</p>

• Sherry

October 13, 2020 at 1:56 am
      Oh no, you don’t! 🙂 You play catch-up and totally go for the finish line. <br>
      <p>Come on, Anagrammer – you can do it!</p>
    • Anagrammer

October 13, 2020 at 1:58 am

<p>No way am I up for this. It’s INTENSE.</p>

• MH

October 13, 2020 at 2:23 am

Wow! That’s ambitious! Best of luck!)

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the