Home Forums Poetry Inverse Dreams

• Inverse Dreams

Drop-a-line updated 2 months, 3 weeks ago 11 Members · 17 Posts
  • Meira

August 27, 2020 at 1:54 am

I wrote this ‘cuz I have a dream I don’t think could ever happen. So it’s kinda like chizuk for myself …. I’d love some feedback!

Read from top to bottom and then bottom to top:

The universe is just an expansive void

Do you really think that

The universe can be filled

With your dreams

I’m sure you’ve heard it before – hear me say it now

Reach for the stars; dream big; shoot for the moon

But don’t listen, because I’m telling you to

Just stop before you fail yourself

People say all sorts of things like

You’ll be able to fulfill them one day

But then when you put in some effort you’ll realize

Dreams are too hard to fulfill

Even though it seems like

The stars are so close

Because trust me

You’re just not good enough, you’ll never succeed

And don’t try to tell me

The universe can be filled

With dreams

• Elisheva Halle

August 27, 2020 at 2:26 am

Wow, wow WOW. Love, Love, LOVE. Meira, love this style of reading backwords and forwards, keep it up.

By the way, my dream to become a high school Limudei Kodesh teacher has finally happened after eight years of trying…eight years…Dreams really can come true, including yours, Meira

• Meira

August 27, 2020 at 3:09 am

Thanks! Mazel Tov!!! Mazel Tov!!! I’m so happy for you! Thanks for the encouragement!

• Fiction Fangirl

August 27, 2020 at 2:44 am

Oh my gosh!  Instant love ?.

Big thumbs up from me!

It seems so complex to create an inverse poem:  You have to concentrate on the theme you’re branching off from while simultaneously creating an opposing beginning and end that meet somewhere in the middle.  Did you intentionally start the poem with a negative message only to be overwritten by the positive message while reading the poem from the bottom up?  I once read an inverse poem that started out positive but when read backward, it ended on a really sorrowful note.  I kinda liked it, though.  Some sad poems really resonate with you especially when you’re in the mood of a good cry.

• Meira

August 27, 2020 at 3:42 am

Thank you Fiction Fangirl! (How did you get that emoji? I only figured out how to do smiley and winkie face)

So these poems usually come when I have a super depressing thought and need to cheer myself up. So I start with the negative and then flip it. I never thought of doing it the opposite way. Hm … I’ll have to try that. Thanks for the idea!

• Mali

August 27, 2020 at 4:16 am

Awesomeness, Meira! Sometimes inverse poems have an awkward phrase or two, to make it work- but you did it flawlessly (IMHO:)).

Can I ask what the process is to complete one like this? Never tried it…

• Meira

August 27, 2020 at 4:35 am

Thank you!

Sure. Just by the way – they’re really fun! You should totally try it! I take an idea (usually something that’s been on my mind), an idea that can be spun in either way. I generally write it in groups of three lines or so at a time. There isn’t an exact science to it, but it’s practically impossible to do it line by line because you have to work forwards and backwards at the same time. You have to keep checking yourself, making sure it makes sense from both directions. Starting off is the hardest, but once you get going it gets easier. Another helpful thing is to use words such as “but,” “because,” “not,” “don’t,” “even though,” “although,” etc. etc. Those types of words can help you spin it both ways, either using them as their own line, or putting them in the beginning of a line.

And can I ask you, what does IMHO stand for? (I know I should know this stuff …. You’re welcome to laugh at me! :))

• Chagit

August 27, 2020 at 5:53 am

Meira, this poem is awesome!!

I love the form and personally I like that it starts off negative and then turns positive!

• Sury

August 27, 2020 at 10:33 am

Brilliant poem, Meira!! You’re fabulous at writing inverse poetry!! And I love the theme of dreams – so thanks immensely for sharing!

• Fayge Y.

August 27, 2020 at 3:25 pm

[quote quote=21087] And can I ask you, what does IMHO stand for? [/quote]

In my humble opinion.

• Bookworm

August 27, 2020 at 6:01 pm

Wow! I am seriously speechless! To write such a poem takes a lot of talent!
    Meira, would you allow me to share this poem with people? I am sure there are many people who can get chizuk from this…
    Thank you so much for sharing! And never stop believing in your dreams because one day they will come true, if you try with all your might!

• Meira

August 27, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Chafit and Sury, thank you so much!

Fayge, thanks 🙂

Bookworm,  feel free to share it. And thank you for the encouragement!

• Shaindy

August 28, 2020 at 12:44 am

Wow! I’ve never seen this before! This is genius!

• Meira

August 28, 2020 at 2:45 am

Thank you Shaindy!

• PassionforWriting

August 28, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Wow!!! I just read it from top to bottom and I’m like “what…? Where’s the part about dreams?” and then I saw Elisheva’s post and read it starting from the bottom and wow!!!! I love it!!! You have such a talent to be able to write a poem that reads both ways!

• Meira

August 30, 2020 at 3:17 pm

Thank you Passion!

• Drop-a-line

September 2, 2020 at 9:04 pm

WOW! I think this is the first time in my life to come across an inverse poem (it even has a name???:)) it’s so cool!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content