Home Forums Tip of the Day Interesting Exercise…

• Interesting Exercise…

• Elisheva

November 9, 2020 at 2:23 am

Hey everyone!

I did an interesting exercise with myself and it gave me clarity, so I’m passing it on to you!

First, pretend like you are starting your own Jewish Women’s Magazine. Write down what type of columns you make. Would you have a special section for fiction? For poems? Would you do a section on mental health, organizing, recipes? Write it all down. It’s your magazine so if you think there are sections in current Jewish magazines that are unnecessary, don’t write it down!

Next, pretend like you’re the editor. Which sections would you want to write yourself and which would you rather have someone else write (even if you’d enjoy reading it). Circle all that apply.

Next, think if the Jewish magazines that exist have a section similar to the ones that you’d want to write yourself. If they do, great! You’ve just discovered what type of articles, stories columns you would like to write. If not, maybe you can write something up and suggest it to a magazine?

Okay, have fun!

• HappiWriter

November 9, 2020 at 2:29 am

πŸ‘ Hey Elisheva, what did you come up with?

• Elisheva

November 9, 2020 at 3:06 am

Great Question Happi! I hope you’ll tell me what you came up with as well πŸ™‚

Sections for ‘My Magazine’:

Parsha Chizuk

Other interesting Divrei Torah on the holidays or Tefilla, hair covering, being B’Simcha etc..

A column on Parenting, Marriage and emotional health ( including a section for people to submit questions and professionals would answer)

True stories of people overcoming life’s challanges

Feature Article

Windows and Mirrors vignettes

Recipes

Organizing and Time management

Fiction short stories

1-2 Serials

Poems!!!

Okay, and here is what I would like to write myself: Parsha Chizuk and other interesting Divrei Torah, True stories of people overcoming life’s challenges, Windows and Mirrors Vignettes, Fiction short stories and serials.

Wow, that’s a lot! The only thing which made me kinda sad is that you have to be a big Rebbetzin or an experienced teacher to submit Divrei Torah and have them accept it and take you seriously… what do you think?

• PassionforWriting

November 9, 2020 at 11:28 pm

OMG!! Love those columns, Elisheva!! You covered them all! So are we starting a new magazine?? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

• Elisheva

November 9, 2020 at 3:07 am

Oh, and of course, poems!!

• HappiWriter

November 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Ok, let’s go! Are you starting a new magazine??? ;

• Elisheva

November 10, 2020 at 12:31 am

LOL, no not starting a new magazine. I think Family First has most of those columns anyway…just a fun exercise for me to figure out what type of things I like writing

• PassionforWriting

November 10, 2020 at 12:35 am

Lol! I got a little excited… 😜

• A Willing Pen

November 11, 2020 at 12:03 am

Why not? πŸ™‚ I don’t think the market is quite saturated yet. Besides, a good magazine will always find buyers.

• Elisheva

November 11, 2020 at 1:51 am

Maybe if I had a dedicated team to help me…πŸ˜‰

• PassionforWriting

November 11, 2020 at 1:54 am

I’m in πŸ™‚

• Elisheva

November 10, 2020 at 12:33 am

And I noticed that FF started publishing poems on their back page. Exciting!!

• PassionforWriting

November 10, 2020 at 12:35 am

They did? I have to check out this past week’s and see, ‘cuz I don’t remember seeing it.

• PassionforWriting

November 10, 2020 at 12:37 am

Yes, yes. I think they’re called Focal Point. I guess they’re aiming for a certain theme…

• A Willing Pen

November 10, 2020 at 1:01 am

Ami published a poem in the “Our Days” column a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised!

• PassionforWriting

November 10, 2020 at 1:03 am

yeah, I saw that too. I guess there are exceptions to the rules..

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Terms & Agreement

I affirm that I am known in my community to be a frum woman and I will adhere to all the rules and guidelines of this community. I understand that Masterpiece has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism, flaming, snide remarks, trolling, stalking, or the debate of religious or political issues and all other items specified in our Terms & Conditions. Failure to comply with these rules will result in termination of your account without a refund.

Terms & Agreement

I affirm that I am known in my community to be a frum woman and I will adhere to all the rules and guidelines of this community. I understand that Masterpiece has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism, flaming, snide remarks, trolling, stalking, or the debate of religious or political issues and all other items specified in our Terms & Conditions. Failure to comply with these rules will result in termination of your account without a refund.

MONTHLY PLAN

Billed monthly
$15
$ 10
Per Month
  • Unlimited Access to all Forums
  • 24/6 Support
  • Free Admission to Exclusive Events
  • Showcase your Work
  • Hang out with the biggest names in frum writing!
  • Flex Payment
  • Money-Back Guarantee for up to 1 week after signup
Popular

ANNUAL PLAN

Billed in a single payment
$180
$ 100
Annually
  • Unlimited Access to all Forums
  • 24/6 Support
  • Free Admission to Exclusive Events
  • Showcase your Work
  • Hang out with the biggest names in frum writing!
  • Money-Back Guarantee for up to 1 week after signup
  • Get 2 Months FREE! PLUS, Lock in your LOW Price!

How can we help?

Need help? Send us a message below and we will get back to you shortly.

Have you watched our Tutorial video yet? Please note some design features have changed since the Tutorial was created.

Skip to content