Home Forums Fiction Info from my brain or online

• Info from my brain or online

PassionforWriting updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 6 Members · 6 Posts
  • Red Writing Hood

July 6, 2020 at 5:56 pm

I’d like to hear from others about doing research. I assume that in general writing is 90% research and 10% writing.

What do you do if you have limited time, patience and resources for research, but you want to write?  Without research you’re limited to writing your own thoughts and experiences. Is that it?  Writing a fictional story without research will very much limit the depth, wouldn’t it?

• HappiWriter

July 6, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Yeah…

I feel that besides for research in the plain sense of the word, the more I know about my characters (and setting etc.), the deeper and more realistic the story becomes.

• Fayge Y.

July 7, 2020 at 12:17 am

You have to research. If you must write, write and fact check later. But try to immerse yourself in whatever you’re writing about first.

You will have readers like me who debate writing the author/publisher about discrepancies like a 3 day yom tov that couldn’t have happened as described. Yes, I really noticed that. Lo adu rosh, and it wasn’t even important to the story line for there to be a 3 day yom tov. (However, you will also have readers like me who read such stuff and don’t remember for sure where it happened, it’s been a few years.)

• Anagrammer

October 12, 2020 at 6:22 pm

<p>Lol, I just came across this post now… and I just read something that violated the ‘lo adu rosh’ rule, and what bothered me so much about it was that it is supposedly nonfiction!</p>

• Rochel Solomon

October 12, 2020 at 10:14 pm

haha. I love the lo adu rosh example. Here’s the thing; if you want to make something realistic it needs to be researched. You don’t want to be called out on inaccuracies that could have been fine with simple research. How in depth does your research need to be depends on the context of the piece and how realistic you feel it needs to be. Sometimes it’s just a google search but most times you need to do more. If your character is a suave lawyer, then interview one. Those are hard to find but part of the research is to do research to find your research. Does that make sense? Read fiction novels about lawyers to understand their minds, get under their skin. Talk to someone who is taking or has taken the LSAT and bar exam. Ask them what they or their firm would do in a situation that your character would be dealing with. Libraries are closed but now there are other outlets to do research, but I honestly think that personal experience is the best! It’s part of the hard work that goes into writing. But I found that interviewing people is the most fun and rewarding. Listen, a story is your world, only you can control it. And JK Rowling, and JRR Tolkien made big bucks creating universes that have wooed its way into the cultural zeitgeist. They are the exception to the rule. I’m not saying you can’t be like them I’m just saying that when you do we need to go out for coffee, because I’m probably going to want to interview you. But from what I’ve experienced/heard believability sells. Write what you know, and what you don’t know go out and learn! Knowledge is power! It becomes fun if you really are invested in your story. It won’t be like homework or maybe it will be but for, like, Harmione Granger (that’s a lot of HP references, I’ll stop). But everyone else is right in the fact that you should get the basic story/writing/setting of the story first. Do I sound like a nerd who likes to do research a lot?;)

• PassionforWriting

October 12, 2020 at 10:44 pm

Interesting question! I think it depends on what you’re writing about. If it’s based on personal experience/communal activities, then you may not have to do so much research. But if you don’t know much about the topic, I think it’s best to do research..

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content