Home Forums Fiction How does Plot structure relate to Sukkos?- Here’s how

• How does Plot structure relate to Sukkos?- Here’s how

Elisheva Halle updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 6 Members · 10 Posts
  • Elisheva Halle

October 9, 2020 at 6:05 am

<p>After I watched this D’var Torah by Rabbi Shmuel Reichman, ( https://www.shmuelreichman.com/blog/Sukkos-Music) I realized the same idea is true of plot structure, and also why I love the Save the Cat plot structure so much. Plot structure is based on a pattern of highs and lows, on a pattern of action and reaction, yet, just like music, plot structure is also a spiral, and not a circular shape, since the main character GROWs and their reactions contain more depth of understanding of the theme in each Act. Wow. This realization blew me away. This is why novels, if written properly, have the same power as music, to take the soul on a journey of growth and discovery, growing higher and higher, just as we go higher and higher with each Hakafa, gaining more depth of understanding even as we walk in a repetetive circle shape. </p>

• HappiWriter

October 12, 2020 at 3:14 pm

<p>Elisehva, interesting perspective!!</p><p>It’s so true. Fiction mirrors life. We grow with “character arcs”.<br></p><p>On another note, it’s funny how being a writer affects your everyday life. Sometimes when writing, a character is acting a certain way, and it’s hard to figure out why. I ask my character: what’s really going on? What’s really bothering you?</p><p>Recently, I find myself asking myself the same thing. Why are you acting like this? What’s really going on? LOL ;)</p><p>Does anyone relate?</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 12, 2020 at 10:54 pm

wow, I love how you described it, Elisheva! The analogy you made with a song is so true. As HappiWriter says, fiction very much does mirror life. I think that’s why so many of gravitate towards it.

• Elisheva Halle

October 13, 2020 at 12:00 am

<p>Lol yes, I spend all day trying to figure myself out!!</p>

• Sherry

October 13, 2020 at 12:07 am

<p>:)</p><p>Are all writers deep thinkers?</p><p>(If Masterpiece is a fair field for study, it definitely seems so)</p>

• Anagrammer

October 13, 2020 at 1:33 am

<p>Yes, all writers are deep thinkers!</p>

• Fiction Fangirl

October 13, 2020 at 12:13 am

<p>Elisheva, I can see you writing an inspirational column alongside Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi in the Ami Living. Just sayin’ 🤩</p>

• Anagrammer

October 13, 2020 at 1:34 am

<p>Oh, yes! I second that!</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 13, 2020 at 1:35 am

Lol!!! Me too!!!

• Elisheva Halle

October 13, 2020 at 3:03 pm

<p>Lol would love to do that! Sign me up! Except that I’m way too young to write a column next to a big Rebbetzin…oh well, maybe one day…</p>

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content