Home2 Forums Fiction Hey, join my survey!

• Hey, join my survey!

A Willing Pen updated 6 months, 1 week ago 6Members · 8 Posts
  • HappiWriter

July 6, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Are you a planner or pantser?

Just wondering what most people are… 🙂

• StoryLuver

July 6, 2020 at 6:20 pm

Pantser!

But trying to become more of a planner because pantsing isn’t really working too well.

Think stories that are 60% finished because I got stuck on the climax, and can’t quite figure out how to wrap up the ending even though I know what the ending is! Just have to untangle all the nitty-gritty details!

Aargh. I wonder if anyone has successfully written the end of a story before the beginning. Kind of like how it’s the easier way to do a maze. Maybe that will finally work.

• A Willing Pen

July 6, 2020 at 6:29 pm

I think even pantsers must have some sort of story-line structure and character arc planned before they begin. I can’t for the life of me imagine how anyone could have the guts to pantser a serial. Riva, how do you do it? I’m a bit of a pantser myself, but I keep going back to previous chapters to tweak stuff after characters lead me places I wouldn’t have envisioned back then.

• HappiWriter

July 6, 2020 at 6:53 pm

StoryLuver, just thinking… technically, the climax is the point of the story. This is where all your pieces come together — it’s the direction your entire story’s been leading to the entire time…
    With that in mind, the climax should probably be one of your first pieces to plan.

• A Willing Pen

July 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm

Agree, HappiWriter. The climax is the starting point for plotting a story. Because it is when all seems to be lost and the character is cornered into overcoming their primary antagonist that is the centre of any story – even if it happens closer to the end.

From here you can then flesh out the chapters leading to it:

What is preventing the protagonist from overcoming their battle?
    What do they need to learn in order to succeed in their battle?
    Who do they need to become in order to conquer the battle?
    What gets in the way of them overcoming the battle?

• A Willing Pen

July 6, 2020 at 7:29 pm

I am a planner, but very often my plans don’t pan out, because my characters go places I don’t plan for them, and I don’t have much of a choice but follow their lead. Yet generally the beginning and end are pre-planned.

• Elisheva Halle

July 12, 2020 at 2:54 am

I was a pantser until I discovered the “Save the Cat” story writing code. But I must admit that I just have so much fun planning the story, but when I write it, the story gets a life of it’s own and hardly ever goes the way I planned! So I guess a pantser is always a panster…

• A Willing Pen

July 12, 2020 at 4:48 am

I used to be a pantser. That’s because I had no idea what a story was supposed to look like, and I kinda winged it and hoped for the best. The more I write, the more I learn about structure and it’s been a game-changer. I write and develop stories faster, and better because I know what I’m trying to achieve now, and how to achieve it.

I don’t keep strict outlines, or write extensive character profiles, but I do know who my characters are, their motivations, where they want/ need to be at the end of the story, what’s getting in their way, what is starting off this complication etc.

I don’t always know how the story is going to end though.

I leave the details up to pantsing (everything is google search away).

Keeping an outline keeps me on track, and focused, and my story in a pleasing readable arc.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content