Home Forums Introduce Yourself Hello, My Name Is…

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    May 6, 2020 at 4:53 pm

Riva, and I may be dating myself, but this thread title makes my head go, “And my husband’s name is Ruli! We come from Romania and we sell…rabbits!” Okay, so maybe I like making people smile :-).

Anyways, you know way too much about me and I’d really like to get to know you. So you’re next! GO!

• Shulammis Saxon

May 6, 2020 at 8:19 pm

Shulammis, and I love to write…but don’t seem to find the time or motivation to write much more than WhatsApp messages, emails and grocery lists these days! Every so often I jot down some thoughts, and I’ve written and published a few magazine articles, but my dream is to write a novel. I’ve started this project several times! I am so excited and grateful that you’ve launched this online forum so perhaps the peer pressure and encouragement will help me achieve this goal on my “after 50” list 🙂

• Passionate Pen

May 6, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Hello partners-in-writing!
    I’m thrilled to start this program! Its something I’ve always imagined having to help me along my writing path… Thanks Riva for making it a reality for me!!
    So- a little bit about myself:
    Ive loved writing ever since i was taught how to write. Literally. Im also a true bookworm. I devour every written article i can lay my hands on. Especially now when I’m quarantined there isnt anything at home i didnt read yet at least a dozen times. When i read im totally engrossed. You gotta shake me to get my attention. My favorite quote on reading is ” Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are ”
    I especially love reading historical novels. I enjoy thinking of any random era in history and imagine what life would have been had i lived then. Although for me, as the writer, its the hardest to write. Theres a lot of research involved.. The dates and facts have to match my story. But, when i write something completely from my imagination i can totally let loose.
    I have lots of articles sitting in a file that i hope to publish. (And i dream of writing a book one day Beezras Hashem.)
    Im so looking forward in sharing them with all of you to get feedback, constructive criticism and advice.
    This is awesome!! Cant wait to get started IYH.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    May 7, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Shulammis!! It’s so wonderful to have you here with us. This is exactly the right time and just the write place to make your dreams come true! I am so excited for you :-)–and for us, because we get to watch you and support you as you grow and shine, be”H!

• Rivky

May 7, 2020 at 2:40 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Rivky and I’m excited to be here!
    Throughout my school years I wrote decent pieces of work, and though my teachers would compliment it and say I had talent, I never viewed myself as a writer. Recently after reading quality writings I’ve decided that I too want to create things as well. I want to write too. But am I a writer? Can I be a writer? I’ve started some small projects and then stopped as it became too challenging and I didn’t have the proper skills. But my dream remained. And it remained a dream. So here I am, so ready and grateful for this opportunity to try to hone my writing skills and connect with other like minded writers!

Another challenge of mine was that as much as I wanted to start writing, I didn’t have enough motivation, so now that we have this platform I hope it’ll give me that push I need!

Getting out my pen and paper,

Rivky

• Esther Kurtz

May 11, 2020 at 4:11 am

Hey All,

I’m Leiba, and shocker, I love to write. 😉

Nice to meet everyone here.  Hope to learn a lot and hopefully have something to share myself.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      May 20, 2020 at 6:16 pm

Hey, Leiba! I don’t think I ever personally welcomed you, so here goes: WELCOME! 🙂 So glad you’re here!! Oh, and I love your posts!!

• Anagrammer

May 11, 2020 at 5:10 am

Hello, fellow writers!

So excited to get to know you all through this platform be”H. Like you, I’m an avid writer; I started writing when I was taught how to do it and haven’t stopped since (though I’ve since moved on from jump-rope arguments to bigger and better topics of analysis 🙂 …

Here’s a favorite quote of mine you’ll probably relate to:

“You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.”

I’m like that. I write (only) on inspiration – be it an experience, feeling, thought or observation.

When I sit down and tell myself “Write now!”, it generally fails…

Maybe this community will help me change that about me?

• Passionate Pen

May 11, 2020 at 5:22 am

Hiya Anagrammer! Cool name 🙂 I like it.

I know exactly what you mean… its pretty frustrating. I was once told by a publishing writer that writing is like a muscle, the more you excersize, the stronger it becomes. Therefore I try to write as often as I can. If I allow time to elapse between writing I really feel a difference.

So what I try to do is, use my imagination. I think of a situation or experience and put myself into the story as if it happened to me. Then, I write about it. Perhaps this can help you too.

Any other advice would really be helpful…

• Word Warrior

May 11, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Hi!

I’m a relatively newlywed in Jerusalem with an equal passion for both writing and avoiding writing 🙂

I love to keep a diary and to vent to people and my writing definitely improves with emotion!

I desperately want to get published and bring quality writing into the frum world. I’ve won essay contests, I got A’s in English through college, but on my own…I just don’t know what to say.

So.

That’s me. I’m also working on being proactive, aka, doing something about. Hence, I’m here.

Nice to meet y’all, I can’t wait to journey with you!

Thanks Riva for making this forum- I’ve always been a fan so it’s really cool to get to write alongside you!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      May 23, 2020 at 9:25 pm

Word Warrior, just wanted to tell you how I am loving your posts! We are going to get you published, be”H, no question ’bout that, ma’am! 🙂

• Penina Mandelcorn

May 11, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Hi everyone,
    So excited to be here!
    I’ve been writing since age five – poems, plays, books, songs, short stories, essays…and gotten published a couple of times, B”H. My favorite genre is historical fiction.
    I love the idea of being able to share work and get feedback from other writers. Looking forward!

• Aviva Stern

May 11, 2020 at 7:41 pm

Hi! My name is Aviva Stern. Like all of you I love to write. I’ve had a few stories published in Binah, as well as a few write-ups in local newspapers . Most recently I self-published a little book in honor of my 4oth birthday which I shared with family and friends. I’d love to broaden my scope. I’ve been working on a few children’s books and I’d love any advice on how to connect with potential publishers etc. I would also love to connect with any writers who work in copy writing, or who write text or tests for elementary school students . I’d love to branch out professionally. As you can see I’m open to almost any types of writing. Would love to hear more about the writers on this forum and hear more about their experiences.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    May 11, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourselves! Welcome, Anagrammer! Welcome, Penina Mandelcorn! Welcome, Aviva Stern, Rivky, Leiba Mozes, and Passionate Pen! It’s so great to read about you in the brief intros you shared with us. I’m sure we’ll learn a lot more about you as we see your posts, b’ezras Hashem.

One thing that really strikes me is how we are all so similar and yet we are each so individual and unique. Everyone in this community writes. And yet each of us expresses our writing and comes to our writing in such different ways. We have so much to learn from each other!

Love this! Keep it coming! 🙂

• Elisheva Halle

May 11, 2020 at 11:31 pm

Hi! Nice to meet everyone! Super excited about this forum- it makes writing so much less of a lonely process- thank you so much Riva Pomerantz!

I’ve been writing since I was little, mostly stories for my little siblings and now I write books for my 3 kids (ages 1-4) and “publish” them with my laminating machine and hole puncher and ribbon ( and use stock photos since I have no time to illustrate them!)

I’ve published a few short stories, mostly under pen name, and am always working on improving my craft 🙂

My dream is to publish a novel (or two!), and I’m in the middle of working on one right now. I always felt stuck until I discovered the ‘save the cat’ novel plotting system by Jessica Brody. It’s a total game changer!

I love anything creative- creative cooking, crafts with my kids, and I also do freelance graphic design ( yes, I don’t really sleep).

I’m really enjoying everyone’s writing! Keep it coming!

• Esther

May 13, 2020 at 12:06 am

Hi! My name is Esther Weisshaus, chiming in from London. I’m so thrilled to join this community, because since lockdown began here, with my 6 kids home,  I haven’t written much at all and I really need to get my creative juices flowing again…

My area of expertise is non fiction writing, and I’ve been published in Binah, Ami, Family First and Hamodia. I’m hopeless at fiction; my imagination is absolute rubbish?

I love using emotive language to persuade people to donate to worthy causes, and I provide the language for many local charity campaigns.

Can’t wait to get to know you folks!

• Sherry

May 13, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Hello, Sherry here, also from London. I’ve authored a few books and one of the magazines is currently running a serial of mine, though reading through some of your submissions here, I don’t write quite as well as you lot here. Wishing you all lots of hatzlacha and may your writing exceed your ambitions and take you to the places of your dreams.

And thanks Riva!

• HappiWriter

May 13, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Hey everyone!
    This is great:) Ever since Riva introduced her idea of a frum women’s writing forum, I knew I’d be the first to jump on the bandwagon.
    I’m a designer by profession and love it for the same reason I love writing – my favorite place to be is in my imagination.
    Creativity is my lifeblood. Writing is my escape. So no surprise, I enjoy writing fiction best. With fiction, you can visit places you’ve never been, see people you’ll never meet and even become someone you’ll never be.
    So far, my only publishing experience involves school newspapers but I’m learning something new each day, and hopefully soon, I’ll get published for real.

Looking forward to meeting y’all!!!

• QWERTY

May 18, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Hello! I’ve been looking forward to a forum like this for a long time… Thank you, Riva for making it a reality!
    I always loved to write, with some times in my life providing more time than others. I’ve been published in magazines a couple of times (which made me giddy!) I love noshing from others’ experiences, and this forum seems to be the perfect place to gather small nuggets of useful information!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    May 18, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Welcome to our newest batch of wonderful women!! Elisheva Halle, you are bringing so much creativity and sunshine to this community! I’m so glad you’re here! 🙂

Esther Weisshauss, we want to see your non-fiction!! Although I take offense, on your mind’s behalf, for accusing it of having zero imagination. I am CERTAIN that you have loads and loads of imagination–even writing non-fiction requires tremendous imaginative powers, not to mention the ability to write marketing copy!–and we’d love to watch as you nurture and grow it here!

Sherry, I’m so glad you’re here with us! Please show us your work–it’s so wonderful that you’ve published so extensively; not an easy feat! We know that since the VERY BEGINNING OF TIME, craftspeople are always guilty of being enviable of each other–that was actually the Nachash’s argument to Chava which persuaded her to eat from the Eitz Ha’Da’as. And you know how well that ended up! 🙂 On Masterpiece, we acknowledge that weakness, but we don’t need to feed into it. As I stressed in my live tutorial the other night, the purpose here is not to rate other people’s writing or standing. The purpose is to grow together and empower each other to achieve our dreams, whatever those dreams are.

Here I will take a moment to note that there are MANY different people on Masterpiece and they may be here for a wide range of reasons. Some are just happy to lurk here silently, basking in the creativity and energy. Others are here to challenge themselves to put pen to paper and have a raison d’writre (sorry, couldn’t resist!) :-). Still others are here with a very specific purpose in mind–whether to get advice in their field, to build industry contacts, or whatever it is. We welcome EVERYONE here and remind ourselves that there is no “right way” to navigate Masterpiece.

But wait! I haven’t properly welcomed HappiWriter!! Hey, Happi! We are so totally happi that you are here! Please share your design work with us! You can embed pictures in posts by clicking on the little image icon (last in line on the menu bar in your post or reply screen). Of COURSE you will get published “for real”–if that is your goal. One thing is for sure: stick around with us and your creativity will skyrocket! 🙂

Write on, my friends!

• Tziri Schwartz

May 19, 2020 at 11:45 pm

Hi I’m Tziri Schwartz. I would love to write articles but so so shy… And I always think that the magazines are going to turn their noses up at me so I just don’t try… 🙁 Any advice?

• Chana F.

May 20, 2020 at 12:51 am

Hi All,

The name I’m using here for now is “Chana” all though that’s not my real name.. maybe at some point I’ll work up the confidence to actually write under my own name! I’m B”H a busy Mom of 5 kids and  I’ve always love to write. I’m a speech therapist but my favorite part of my job is actually writing goals and reports. I have the same issue as a lot of you, which is that I never seem to actually be able to sit and write in the way that I want to. I have so many ideas swirling in my mind but when I try to put them to paper, I often draw a blank. I’ve felt for a while that I need something to jump start my creative writing process. I know I have the talent within me and I”m looking forward to gaining the motivation and skills that will help actualize my writing goals. Thank you Riva for this opportunity!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      May 21, 2020 at 11:42 pm

Welcome, Tziri! I’m so glad you’re here! I think you’ll quickly come to see that a healthy dose of Masterpiece magic will chase away the shyness blues like nothing else! Right, ladies?!!!

Chana F.!!! Nice to meet you! I am so excited to watch you achieve your goals and spark your creativity–what an amazing journey!

I’m sure many of the women here on Masterpiece can relate to the fear of rejection both of you seem to be describing. We are here to support each other and share advice and hugs along the way! In fact, I have a whole category called Confidence and you’re welcome to start a post there to ask for help in this area. It’s here: https://masterpiece.rivapomerantz.com/forum/forum/confidence/

• Fiction Fangirl

May 21, 2020 at 12:46 am

Hello folks!

They say you lose your reader at the first sentence so I’ll keep this intro nice and short:

I read.

I write.

That’s all.

(Pause).

Okay, so maybe that’s a bit too scant for the general public. Good news is, you’re probably reeled into this post right now.

*Thumbs up*

Let’s start with the basics:

Tired of side-eying a chunk of repetitive Jewish literature consuming valuable real estate on my bookshelf, I set out to write the type of fiction I wanted to read about. Kind of untraditional considering you’re supposed to write for the reader.

I guess I am my own reader.

*Blinks*

So that’s an epiphany there.

Let’s backtrack a bit.

After attempting to satiate my literary hunger by consuming all available Jewish books during my tween years, my literary palate hit a finicky sort of state. All of a sudden, only the finest fiction was deemed qualified to pass the first sentence mark. A lot of books didn’t even make it past the first page, and I felt horrible setting them aside while knowing that they were birthed and bled by someone who could’ve been me. I decided that a) Why risk embarrassing myself by trying to produce maybe- cringe-inducing material when I could be doing something benign like harvesting radishes? And b) Writing isn’t just about flinging characters and plots on a page and trimming it off with purple prose. It involves hard work like amassing frightening amounts of research to ensure verisimilitude. You say you’ve got an incredible imagination? Not enough, sis.

So that was a blow.

Nevertheless, as I alarmingly took stock of the shrinking amount of titles I was satisfied with, I girded myself with strength and set pen to paper. I also began analyzing my favorite books to discover why they enchanted me (or not!). By taking stock, I realized I had developed an intolerance to unremarkable characters, recurrent plots, sloppy structure, and dull dialogue. Clichés took eyesore to a new level. Even a redundant adjective had me wincing. I was tired of preachy morals.

I just wanted to read to be entertained.

*Gulp*

Well, that’s a fun way to introduce one’s self. Come across as bashy and judgmental as if I had published my works before and won several literary awards.

Shocker: I haven’t. Aside from my school journals, that is. Fear of putting myself out there kept me on the ice.

Also, I was kinda hard on myself.

Okay. Who am I kidding? More than kinda. More like my inner critic is sneering right now and stabbing the page with a spindly crooked finger, urging me to scrap this thing kinda-hard-on-myself-situation.

But ladies. I seek not to scare your or my stories a-skitter. For beneath the critical eye lies a literary hungry caterpillar seeking to sink her teeth into an immersive read.

And also, a humble heart that believes in potential talent.

Hence, my great faith in this talented group I look forward to receiving and providing support to. My appreciation to Riva the Rad for gifting this platform to us. May she be blessed, that girl.

Total Rockstar.

Signing off as an ever-so-hopeful Masterpiece member,

Fiction Fangirl

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      May 21, 2020 at 11:46 pm

OMG, Fiction Fangirl, I just can’t!! LOVE the energy, love the style, love the VIBE! We are publishing you–and fast! Not even kidding…

And did I mention how much I loved your blessing?

Who else is having fun here?!!

• HappiWriter

May 21, 2020 at 1:18 am

Fiction Fangirl, you totally rock.

Go for it. You have an amazing voice. Can’t wait to see your writing.

I can totally relate. Most of my ideas are so nontraditional I’m afraid no one in the frum market will want to publish it.

• Chagit

May 21, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Hi all,

I think I’ve read and reread this thread about 3 times before daring to write my reply. I’m usually one of those readers that lurk, as Riva mentioned earlier. I’m not a big poster, but I hope to become one:)

My name is Chagit and I’m quite an amatuer writer. I taught High School writing, been published twice, and write songs and poems.

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s amazing work and maybe, just maybe I’ll get the push I need to actually write as a profession.

• Fiction Fangirl

May 21, 2020 at 8:06 pm

Aww, why thank you HappiWriter!  I hope I will overcome my fear and share my work here soon.  Can see that happening in the near future considering the circle of support (not to mention talent!) around here

Feeling relieved there are other people who share the same fears about writing out-of-the-box type of stories.  Spinning this back on you:  Go for it, kid.  The frum market is in need of novel ideas and yours might be one of them.  Will keep on the lookout for your work out here!

Question:  Do you find yourself shutting down when you think about your unconventional ideas being rejected?  I certainly do and am curious how you battle your creative demons (or whatever you call your inner critic).  I find that writing late at night when my brain’s half aslumber yields some of my deepest artistic pieces.  I believe the judgemental parts of the mind slack off when it’s weary of keeping things in check throughout the day.  Anyone else who can relate?

• HappiWriter

May 21, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Nah, it’s the opposite by me. I need a really sharp mind to write…

• Esti G

May 21, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Hi hi hi! I’m Esti. Wrote a LOT in high school, and even got two stories published b”H.
    The past few years I basically neglected the craft, only writing gibberish in a journal every once in a blue. But hey! Maybe I can change the status quo here!

• Anagrammer

May 21, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Fiction Fangirl, I relate to the night-writing. I write when I am supposed to be in bed, when the house is dead-silent, when my brain doesn’t even know what it’s spitting out almost 🙂

• Fiction Fangirl

May 21, 2020 at 9:21 pm

HappiWriter- I may be jumping the gun but are you a plotter/planner?  Sounds like!

And Anagrammer- have you found yourself feverishly scribbling in bed but then being unable to fall asleep because your brain is zapping with ideas?  That’s one downside to ‘letting your hair down’ when winging exhausted writing sprints.  You kinda get caught up in the wild ride.  But then there are days or weeks or even months when all is calm and no new ideas come forth so I’ve got time to catch up for lost sleep (not)!

And Esti-speaking of ‘writing gibberish in a journal’- just to ya know, I keep a dream journal and have recently written a flash fiction piece based on a dream I had.  You never know when or what you’ll use.  I’ve found it’s best to jot down every wisp of an idea no matter how silly it seems.  Phrases, snippets of overheard conversations (whoops), unusual names (for characters), titles for possible stories- ya get the pic!

Does anyone here create mood boards for stories?

• Kayla-Oppenheimer

May 21, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Hi,

My name is Kayla Oppenheimer. I live in Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York. Writing is my alter ego. When I write, I’m in a different world, all worries and insecurities suspended.  My passion is poetry. I’ve been learning the art of writing in the past 4 years through finding a most amazing writing teacher, right in my neighborhood who taught me to believe in myself and that I had what to offer in terms of writing.  I like writing memoir/inspirational/ non fiction  genre and therapeutic writing. Occasionally have a stab at fiction stories. Never been published yet. Will be soon bezras Hashem a collection of my poems I’ve written over past 4 years. I also belong to a writer’ critique group and that’s where I found that  I also like editing for grammar and substance and in as much as I like writing, I like reading other people’s writings and share my perspective. I’m super happy to be part of this wonderful website. I would love one day to be published and I think finally I’ll dip my toes and garner some courage to published, learn the tools of the trade of publishing. I look forward to meeting fellow writers and the like and interacting with fellow members.  I’m a bit of a lurker but hopefully will start posting soon. Writing is not my day job, although eventually I would like to make writing my career. I’m sure being part of this website, I’ll get all the encouragement and courage to concentrate more in the writing field. I’m grateful to Riva for creating this fantastic website.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      May 23, 2020 at 9:29 pm

I am sure I echo many of the other women on Masterpiece in saying that I am so glad you are here, Kayla. You are making such an impact on this community with your gentle, wise feedback and the beautiful writing you have shared. Thank you for being here!

• Anagrammer

May 21, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Esti, one of my biggest passions is that ‘gibberish in a journal’ is not ‘gibberish in a journal’. It is precious, utterly precious. Savor every bit of inspiration you hear, and every whim that crosses your mind, and write it down. And then you have it for posterity! And what could be better than that? Even if no one ever lays eyes on it besides for you, well then, it’s yours. Just imagine that delicious feeling of rereading something you wrote last year, or five years ago, or twenty years ago. It’s an incomparable, indescribable experience that catapults you back into a different self, a different world, an entire different existence. Because we humans are constantly changing and growing; we are terribly inconsistent beings. So I assure you that when you reread your work in the future, that ‘gibberish’ you called it when you wrote it – you will gobble up every word of that gibberish because it will then be a piece of your former self.

Fiction Fangirl – Definitely. I recently was in bed, ready to call it a night, and then a magnetic force pulled me out of bed and into a different world. And I wrote and wrote until the wee hours of the morning. It was an incredible, awesome experience. I also generally find myself dreaming entire pieces of writing. When I wake up, only some wispy words are left that I am sometimes able to (somewhat) recover if I have a pen less than three inches away from my bleary eyes. Just curious, about your dream journal: did you get better at remembering dreams once you started this journal, or did you always have a knack for it? Because it’s very difficult for me to remember my dreams, even the minute I wake up. This has always bothered me to no end. I’m wondering if starting a dream journal like yours will perhaps force/train me into improving that skill 😉

• Brocha

May 21, 2020 at 11:57 pm

Hi. My name is not quite Brocha 😉 ’cause I’m shy. And my love is poetry. Nice to meet everyone!

In His Image

They tell me that I have a soul,

One in Hashem’s reflection,

A tiny facet of His Whole,

A piece of His Perfection.

And through my life’s vicissitudes,

It’s under His protection;

Impervious to swinging moods

And quite above rejection.

Despite the night engulfing me,

The morbid introspection,

That soul is mine. Eternally.

I cherish this connection.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 22, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Brocha, I can’t believe I missed welcoming you personally and your poem is so, so beautiful and profound. Thank you for being here!!

• Esti G

May 22, 2020 at 12:09 am

Anagrammer, Fiction Fangirl, I’m with you on the merits of journal writing. By gibberish I meant not something that has any publishable content!

• Word Warrior

May 22, 2020 at 10:03 am

Oooh I’m also a night writer! I was supposed to take a nap yesterday but I got an email which triggered a thought for a new novel idea…the one I’ve been “waiting for” because I’ve been struggling with what to write about! I ran to my laptop and jotted it down quick before it disappeared and I’m SO excited…but I had to sleep so haven’t written anything yet. I’ve never written so much since college; this forum is super super motivating!

• Ruchy

May 22, 2020 at 11:21 am

Hi everyone,

Ruchy here. I am delighted to be a part of this forum.

I can’t believe I  plucked the courage to finally write something…but hey, aren’t we supposed to be gaining confidence here?!

I love writing, and have had some work published in magazines and sadly many rejected:(

I would love to publish more of my writing, but sometimes I am simply embarrassed. Like, who even said my piece is worthy of being published?

I do hope to one day have the confidence to just send off an article when I finish writing it, without dilly dallying for days…and then never submitting it.

Any ideas how to actually do that??

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      May 23, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Ruchy! We are so happy to have you here! Confidence can be a struggle for many writers and I am SURE that many of the wonderwomen on Masterpiece can attest to that. If you want help building confidence, feel free to start a post about it in our Confidence section here: https://masterpiece.rivapomerantz.com/forum/forum/confidence/

• Brocha

May 22, 2020 at 2:30 pm

Hi, Ruchy! I empathize!

I found what worked for me and made me start submitting was the realization that a rejection doesn’t necessarily reflect the quality of the writing. It may simply be that the piece didn’t fit the criteria of that magazine at that time, you know?

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      May 23, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Thank you for sharing this very, very wise and useful perspective, Brocha which is so validating and SO TRUE!! This is actually one of the points I mention in my handy little e-book, Rejection-Proof Yourself. Many of you received it when you subscribed to my email list but if you haven’t, I’m happy to send it out to you pronto. Just email me at info@rivapomerantz.com.

• Fiction Fangirl

May 22, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Ruchy and Brocha, can you both share some of the rejection-proof armor you have hidden in your closets?  The thought about being turned down has me retreating into a corner and whimpering over my stuffed puppy.  How do you gals brave the elements?!

Btw Brocha, your intro poem?  Flawless?  Deeply engaging?  Hit the spot.

• Anagrammer

May 22, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Brocha, you have an incredible talent.

• Brocha

May 24, 2020 at 2:47 am

Thank you!

• Ruchy

May 24, 2020 at 11:58 am

Thanks so much Brocha!

• Leahle

June 6, 2020 at 11:24 pm

OK. So my Name is Leahle Rosenberg, I live in Zürich Switzerland and I love to write!

It feels as though I have been writing all my life…

Mostly, I write Poetry. I love expressing myself in Poems – the Abstract, metaphorical type…

I am not the fiction type – due to my lack of Fantasy…

I don’t see myself ending up as a proffessional writer, being that I am lacking both, professionalism and the Connections. (My Computer might set capital letters wherever it wants because in german we write nouns in capital letters…)

I would love to get Feedback for my writings!

Thanks Riva for Setting up this Forum – it’s Grand!!!

Leahle

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 7, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Leahle, it is so wonderful to have you here! And what a beautiful profile picture! We would love to see your poetry–it sounds so enticing! I must warn you, though, that Masterpiece might actually dash your preconceived notions of you not being “the fiction type” to smithereens :-). There is so much creative energy here that it will literally be life-changing for so many women. So consider yourself warned!! 🙂

• Baila

June 7, 2020 at 8:36 am

First, Riva – thank you for starting this space.  I feel your positive, happy energy and it is lovely.

There are two questions that I hate, more than anything else.

1.      What is your name.

2.      What do you do.

They seem like such innocuous questions.  Easy ways of breaking the ice and placing us in the world.

My name is Beth.  Not Elizabeth the Queen, not Tabetha the witch not Batsheva the Biblical heroine.  Plain ordinary Beth.  Like the sweet sister in Little Women who dies or the sad girlfriend in the Kiss song who is left alone while the boys are playing all night.  Mi she mavin mavin.

In addition to my English name, I was given a Hebrew name because in the seventies in America, that is what Jews did.  My parents thought to name me after my two paternal great grandmothers Baila and Rachel.  Four days before I was born, my mother’s maternal mother passed away.  Her grieving husband, named me Bluma Baila.  I am sure that she intervened in the heavenly courts to get me my name.  But boy did it make my parents mad.

But it didn’t really matter.  No one uses a Hebrew name in America.  Until of course they enter Hebrew school – which I did.  “What’s your Hebrew name?” They asked.

My parents had already decided that I was not going to be Bluma Baila.  They accepted that Bluma was part of my identity, but relegated her to second position.  “Baila Bluma,” I answered proudly.

“Oh no,” I was told. “Baila is a Yiddish name.  We don’t use Yiddish names here.  They are old world and old fashioned.  We’ll translate your name to Hebrew and give you a nice new modern name.”

They tried to call me Yaffa.  But it didn’t stick.

Fast forward ten years.  I came to Israel.  “What’s your name?”

“Beth.”

“Aich?”
    “Beth”

“Aich?”

“Beth”

“Das?”

“No Beth like Batsheva.”

“Oh Batsheva.  Lama lo amart?”

Then I became religiously observant.  “What’s your Jewish name?” I was asked by teachers or by Jennifers who were becoming Channas and Lindseys who were becoming Rivkas or Gittels.  I didn’t want to be Baila – I wanted to be frum, I wanted to keep mitzvah’s but I didn’t want to change my inner core.

So I stayed Beth.

One Shabbos, my husband and I were hosting a guest who went by the name Alan.  They went together to meet our Rav and the Rav challenged him.  “Why don’t you use your Jewish name?”

I asked the Rav, “Why has the Rav never challenged me on my name?”

“I don’t understand the question.” He said.  “Baila is a Yiddish name not a Hebrew name.  Beth is an American Jewish name.  It’s the second letter of the Hebrew alphabet, it’s a Home.  Synagogues in America use it all the time Beth Israel, Beth Shalom.  It is a perfectly good Jewish name.”

And that settled it – sort of.

I went back to the Rav when we were moving to a new community.  “Perhaps I should go by a different name.”  I suggested.  “I even chose one that I like.”

“No,” said the Rav.  “You have a lot of success as Beth.  We don’t change things that work.”

I am a baalas teshuvah living amongst a lot of Anglos and connected to an Israeli Chassidic community who has a perfectly good Yiddish name that she does not use because it was tainted first by machloket when she was a child and later by the Conservative movement of the 80’s.  Plus her Rav said you don’t mess with success.  And I am good with that.   Because I think that pretty much sums up my life.  From the moment I open my mouth, it is clear from my name and my accent that I don’t come from here.

So now that I have told you all of that I am going to start using Baila on this site –  because the same Rebbe who gave me psak not to change my name, has also told me that I shouldn’t publish using my own name.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 7, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Love it, my dear Beth, and I am so glad you’re here with us with so much to offer and so much to receive on Masterpiece. Thanks for helping us get to know you a little!

• MJ

June 7, 2020 at 12:33 pm

My name is MJ.

Since I was little I dreamed of writing. When I became an “adult”, and took on all the responsibilities of a wife, mother, and breadwinner, I shut down my dream. I am scared that once I tap into my creativity, I will lose my practical side. I sometimes have opportunities, to write poems or grammen, and I appreciate the space for a little writing, but it doesnt really do the trick. I have a deep yearning to write, to express, to brainstorm, but a fear that it will take over my life. So as you all see, I am torn. Come carnoa, quarantine with 6 kids, and two parents both working full time jobs, and no cleaning help and now is when I actually take the time to write.. go figure… I am writing early in the morning or late at night when I should be working .. I am writing while I lay with my kids at night. I am glad my writing is not taking over my mind and that I am adult enough to give myself this space that I need. My writing is my “time out” when I have no where else to go but need a break. I am really enjoying how it is relaxing me and I am thankful for you all for being here. When I want to “get away” but not in the mode of writing I love to read all your wonderful posts. This is such a talented team! Keep it up everyone!

• Esther

June 7, 2020 at 1:12 pm

Baila, I love your intro!  I can’t even figure out why, your writing style is just so deliciously good!

• SaraBlau

June 7, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Hi All! My name is Sara Blau ( and riva you are so funny ya i played ball too my husbands name is simcha i come from siberia and i sell salami …) lol

I have 20 published childrens books and over 150 articles on thejewishwoman.org. I have written a lot and still feel like I’m not a “real” writer ! I also publish a school magazine three times a year. I always have more ideas than time to actualize them. Great to be here!!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      July 21, 2020 at 11:43 pm

Sara! I can’t believe I missed your introduction! And thanks for playing ball with me! 🙂 Wow! So many published books and articles–that’s AMAZING!!! A whole bookshelf full! What an accomplishment! Tell us how you turn all that creativity and energy into finished products!

• Esther

June 7, 2020 at 2:52 pm

BTW Riva, anyone old enough to be on this site is old enough to have played “A my name is”.  I played it and I’m probably one of the youngest here…

And Sara, that counts as a real writer in my book…I mean, even being on here with us qualifies you…;)

OK, from now on I’ll try to keep my posts more relevant.  But hey, a girl can have a bit of fun, no?

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      July 21, 2020 at 11:43 pm

Thanks, Esther, for the validation. Now I feel young again! 😉

• Fiction Fangirl

June 7, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Baila, I feel like I’m reading a snippet of a memoir that’s supposed to be published.  Should be published.  Is my sixth sense messing with me?  Alas.  Your post has intrigued me and I am greedy for a second helping.  Or third.  Or lots.  You know what?  Just keep writing.  I won’t bother you with any more intrusive commentary or questions.

*Bites lip*

Okay, so that was a teeny white lie.  Can I ask what do you write/enjoy writing?  Oh, I’ll be quiet after this.  Promise.  I mean, not really.  But whatever.

• Leahle

June 7, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Riva for the warm welcoming!!

And by the way, I have already posted a few of my Poems under the category “Poetry”

They are called “A step back”, Undiscovered Artist”, “Just One Wish”, “The Served Dish” and “The Glove”. I would like to get some Feedback on them…

• Esty Mendelowitz

June 8, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Baila, that intro, tweaked a bit for word count, would make a great Lifelines piece.

Ever considered publishing it?

Hi all, I introduced myself over on the other thread!

• Baila

June 8, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Fiction Fangirl – I love how you put gestures in your writing.  I have been toying with a memoir for a long time.  I definitely have a story I want to tell.  OK actually a few.

Esty Mendelowitz – thanks for the idea.  You can’t really publish something with your name saying that you can’t publish something with your name.  I need to work that part out.

By the way, I am blessed to earn money as a grant writer.  I am feeling burnt out on it and have been exploring other things.  I would say that I love the act of transforming ideas and fitting them into structure.  Grant writing helps take big ideas and fit them into a digestible format for funders.  But I also love editing documents to make them cleaner and tighter.

• Ronda Stoller Wunsch

June 10, 2020 at 12:10 am

Ronda. That’s right, no h in my name. I was named after a man named Ron. Okay, maybe that’s a little white lie but it sounds perfectly reasonable.  The truth is that I was named after a distant relative named Raizel who died in the Holocaust.  However, for a child born in Montreal in the 1960’s, a yiddish name would just not do, nor would Rose, it’s English equivalent. So my Zaida Benny suggested naming me after a famous blonde actress in the 1950’s known as Rhonda Fleming, or so I thought. Just googled her for the first time and discovered that she is a beautiful redhead. Never mind that I was born bald and eventually became a brunette with curly but very thin hair.  So what happened to the h? Well, we were poor and couldn’t afford the extra letter. Just joking. It was an anti-drug  statement: pas de hash. Okay, that was a little corny but I much prefer that kind of humour to sarcasm.  As for poor Raizel, her name was translated into Hebrew and I became Shoshana Gila.  The transition from Ronda Gail is obvious but alas, both parents have passed away and I have no clue where that second name came from.  I also suffer from a lack of imagination so I usually stick to mostly true stories with a little twist here and there. I am excited to be part of this group and look forward to more sharing, reading and writing.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 10, 2020 at 3:56 pm

Ronda without an “h”, I just love it. The dry humor, the great backstory, it’s total yum! So glad you’re here and I know we’ll be enjoying your posts for sure! 🙂

• Raizel

June 10, 2020 at 3:47 am

Hi Everyone.

I’m Raizel and I’ve been writing since time immemorial. I’ve done scripts for school and camp productions, lyrics for dozens of songs and parodies, millions of shopping and to-do lists, hundreds of news articles and educational columns. I’m obsessed with language and words.

I’ve even completed one rejected-by-publishers children’s book and collaborated on another (also rejected, but we think it’s great!) with my daughter. I’ve got several more ideas for kids’ books and the title for my eventual personal memoir.

B”H I’m a wife, mother, bubby, teacher, friend, chief butler, baker, cook and the queen of my castle. I’m a jack of many trades and a master of some.

I’ve been snooping around here reveling in the great talent, inspired and awed.

While I can write crisp paragraphs in my head when sleep eludes me at night, have a notebook filled with story ideas, and  can’t help but edit nearly everything I read, I’m not actually a writer. Yet.  Perhaps this forum will challenge me to finally do something about that.

Thank you all for your courage and comaraderie.

Lchayim to great words written by great Jewish women!

P.S. I’m not called Raizel in real life, though it is one of my given names. Still hiding.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 10, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Raizel, you sound like such a wonderful person with so much rich experience in writing and navigating life! Thank you for introducing yourself in such a vibrant way. It’s such a gift to have you here with us on Masterpiece! Can’t wait to see more posts from you!

• Ruchama Schnaidman

June 22, 2020 at 1:16 am

Hi to all of you talented women, I’m Ruchama Schnaidman and I’m so glad to be here. I’ve been writing (and bH achieving my dreams) for about ten years now and I’m so gratified to have a place where like-minded women gather and share. I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you, learning more about writing and…finally having a place to share all of my random and very passionate ideas about writing…with people who are actually as excited about writing as I am. 🙂

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 22, 2020 at 6:07 pm

Ruchama!! I’m so happy you’re here! Your excitement and passion are so contagious–YUM! 🙂 We’d love to see some of your work, and, of course, we’re looking forward to whatever you’d like to share of your wisdom and experience!!

• Fayge Y.

June 22, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Hi Ruchama!

It just occurred to me that maybe I should introduce myself. This is my name, I live in the US “out of town,” I’m old enough to look into that middle aged job opp Riva posted (and thanks, Riva!), and I have to structure my time better. I work, w hen I work, as a BY librarian, and have subbed also. I haven’t much published. I wrote for a small Midwest weekly about 20 years ago, was in Mishpacha once besides letters (signed and unsigned), and have essays in Rosalie Saltzman’s anthologies.

Bear with me: I don’t tell me people when I’m dieting. I don’t like that kind of accountability. But I’m hoping that Masterpiece will inspire me to write, to work on some stories (books?) inside me. So far it motivated me to write the FF essay, so I could share it here, and a haiku. I do have some short pieces I should and beH will share for suggestions.

And to anyone auditing Masterpiece who has yet to make up her mind, I am definitely finding this worth the price of admission.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 22, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Fayge Y., it’s great to really get to know you after we thought we’d gotten to know you! 🙂 As HappiWriter said, it’s always fun to get the backstory after you’ve already read the cover story!

I’m feeling guilty about the haiku because as soon as I read it, I loved it and wanted to comment, but then one of my kids needed me and my ADD brain got lost in a slew of other stuff. So let me tell you write here, write now 😉 that I LOVED your Corona Coffee Haiku, especially because the imagery of the coffee was so much like my yeshivah bochur son that I could literally smell the aroma and hear those granules “clink” in the cup! Evocative!

Love, love, LOVE the feedback on Masterpiece. Gives me lots of nachas–that’s exactly the idea here. Baruch Hashem!

• HappiWriter

June 22, 2020 at 5:48 pm

One interesting thing about online communication is that you don’t really know who you’re communicating with. Fayge, who would know — I’m probably half your age… cool!!!
    Great getting to know you!
    And yeah, Masterpiece is awesome for motivation. I’m starting new projects that I would’ve never dream of doing otherwise. Good job gals!! Keep it up…:)

• Fayge Y.

June 22, 2020 at 8:00 pm

I know, the age thing is interesting on these kinds of forums.  (Fora?) It does make things fun.

• Esther

June 22, 2020 at 8:10 pm

I think someone’s writing usually gives away their stage of life…

• lovetowrite

June 28, 2020 at 3:06 pm

Hi, my name is chavi, I love to write, I have never really had a chance to explore writing, and that’s why i was so excited to join this community. I am not some kind of master writer but I hope to learn some new stuff and gain some more confidence in my writing.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      July 21, 2020 at 11:41 pm

Hey Chavi! I love that you love to write! 🙂 I do too! 🙂 So glad you’re here–I’m excited to see your posts!

• PassionforWriting

July 7, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Hi!

My user name is PassionforWriting because I love putting my feelings into words and seeing how they “taste” and sound. I’m under a pen name for anonymity reasons, which I hope doesn’t take away from my writings.

I’m single; in my mid-20’s, have been writing for a while, Baruch Hashem, which I consider a gift. I find that my struggles in life enrich my writing, lending them profound messages. And I hope to publish a writing piece once day, iy”H.

I’m in the education field and have a passion for understanding the child as a whole, and teaching them in a way they understand best.

And, this should have been my first line, but I’m finding this writing platform to be very enjoyable, warm, engaging and fun! So thank you Riva for starting this (at a very affordable price!).  🙂

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      July 21, 2020 at 11:46 pm

Oish, PassionforWriting, somehow I missed your introduction, sorry for the delay in welcoming you! And thank you for the very generous feedback on Masterpiece! Yay! 🙂

It sounds like your students are very fortunate to have you in their lives and that you have a lot of wonderful things to share. I am so glad to have you here, that’s for sure!

• PassionforWriting

July 10, 2020 at 3:17 pm

Hi!

I noticed that this thread was bumped all the way down, but I’d love to hear from others!

• HappiWriter

July 10, 2020 at 5:40 pm

Hey, PassionforWriting, so nice having you around!

Hope you do get published one day…

A passion for understanding people comes in handy with writing too. One of the most important elements of creating realistic fiction is understanding your characters — what makes them tic, what motivates them to act in certain ways, etc.

• PassionforWriting

July 13, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Thank you!!!!

• Zim Novels

July 15, 2020 at 5:38 am

Hello, my name is Zim Novels.

I started writing 5 years ago, after I raised 11 children, co-founded a Hebrew Day School, and ran numerous woman’s and children’s programs for the community. Then I took two 6-week  online courses on writing, intending to write magazine articles. However after my 3rd course on novel writing, I plunged into a 55,000 word novel that got accepted by a major Jewish Pubishing Co. and this week I received acceptance for the publication of my 2nd novel, B”H.

I don’t consider myself clever or creative. All my creative genes belong to my children who have surpassed me in art, music, acting, sports, teaching and pubic speaking. But what one lacks in one area, is compensated for in other areas. I have life’s experiences to draw upon in my writings, organizational skills, and lots of stamina. Although I berated myself at first for starting to write so late in life, I realized now is the best time of my life to be doing this. And I love it.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      July 15, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Hi Zim Novels! So glad you’re here, and mazel tov on your amazing accomplishments!

I know it’s poor manners to be so upfront and personal when we’ve only just met, but I MUST take issue with this last part of your introduction: [quote quote=20102]I don’t consider myself clever or creative. All my creative genes belong to my children who have surpassed me in art, music, acting, sports, teaching and pubic speaking. But what one lacks in one area, is compensated for in other areas. I have life’s experiences to draw upon in my writings, organizational skills, and lots of stamina.[/quote] I just want to point out that our creativity and accomplishments are gifted to us by Hashem and He does not want us to dismiss them, apologize for them, or try to qualify them in any way. I say this from a place of tremendous love and admiration. While I’m sure your children are very talented and wonderful, I am very excited to get to know their impressive mother! 🙂

While we’re on this topic, I just coached a woman tonight who had a very hard time embracing her strengths and stating them out loud. I shared this thought with her:

True humility can only be cultivated by recognizing our strengths and weaknesses and owning them–not from a place of pride or shame, but from a place of gratitude to the Almighty Who has given us these divine gifts to utilize in serving Him.

• Fayge Y.

July 15, 2020 at 12:50 pm

Hi Zim. I’d love to know what your first novel is but I’ll let you protect your privacy. (I’m nice that way.)

• Zim Novels

July 16, 2020 at 12:03 am

My first novel  is about a yeshiva boy who first manifests signs of bipolar while away  in Yeshiva in Israel. I wrote it to reach 3 audiences simultaneously.  To validate  for the frum mentally ill person the extreme journey a frum person has to go through, fighting the strange things happening to his mind and body while fighting the obvious and not so obvious stigma from family and community, to give knowledge of mental illness for those suffering in secret afraid to seek help, and to engender empathy by the Jewish  community for those with mental illness among us.

In order to accomplish this I had to be real about psych wards and therapy sessions, and  I had to be real about religious life and the positive pull of spirituality. For example, my character is kicked out of yeshiva and is begging to go to the kotel but they take him to a psych residency instead. It had to be written in first person to be powerful and I had to weave in all the elements  blocking his healing and all the elements bringing him back to stability, including his therapists belief in him at the time when his family didn’t believe in him, and the powerful uplifting feelings he received from visiting the kever of a Tzaddik.

The characters in our books have to  change in a way that rings true and find their way up to give courage and strength to our frum readers. B”H I have received thanks  from people suffering with mental illness for writing this truthful book, and therapists were happy to see that I included practical therapeutic tips, some in group therapy sessions  but mainly as thoughts running through his mind as to how that therapy was pulling him up or down.

• Jane Whittier

July 21, 2020 at 5:54 am

Dear Brocha,

I really enjoyed your introductory poem.  I never published more than a single poem, but it did have rhyme and meter.

All the best,

Jane

• Brocha

July 21, 2020 at 6:37 am

Thanks, Jane! I’d love to see :-). I’m mild to moderately obsessed with rhyme and meter.

Love,

Brocha

• Esther

July 21, 2020 at 7:10 am

Can someone please explain meter?  Is it the about the syllables?

• Brocha

July 21, 2020 at 7:51 am

Yups. Rhythm.

• Esther

July 21, 2020 at 8:02 am

What are the “rules”, for lack of a better word?

• Brocha

July 21, 2020 at 8:07 pm

It depends on the type of poem. There are different kinds. Say you are writing a Limerick. The rhyme scheme is AABBA and the syllable count is 8-8-5-5-8 so it has a distinct rhythm. A Haiku doesn’t rhyme but has a syllable count of 5-7-5.

Some poems aren’t any specific type and you can just make up your own. The “In His Image” which Jane referenced has an ABAB rhyme scheme and syllable count of 8-7-8-7, and I just made that up; it’s random. You just have to be consistent throughout. Unless you are doing free verse which in and of itself has no boundaries, no rules 🙂

• PassionforWriting

July 22, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Thank you so much, Riva!! 🙂

• PassionforWriting

July 22, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Hi HappiWriter!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I certainly do hope I get published! And yes, creating a fiction piece is definitely easier with real life examples.

• Mindy Friedman

August 25, 2020 at 3:11 am

I’m pretty bad with technical stuff, so this post might not show up where I want it to, but I’m replying to Fiction Fangirl’s introduction post.

I feel you, girl! There isn’t enough quality literature in the Frum world. It’s frustrating. It’s really frustrating. Maybe Masterpiece can change that!

Great post, by the way!

• Mindy Friedman

August 25, 2020 at 3:15 am

Brocha, that poem is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

• Mindy Friedman

August 25, 2020 at 3:22 am

Beth/Baila, your introduction is the most beautiful post I’ve read today. Your storytelling skills and awesome! I appreciate your ability to share your story in such a simple, powerful way!

May you be blessed!

• Brocha

August 25, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Aww, thanks, Mindy

• Rochel Solomon

October 20, 2020 at 2:13 am

This is long overdue. But Fiction Fangirl dared me and I love a challenge.Hi everybody I’m Rochel! I am so impressed with this group of leading ladies who have made writing a priority, it pushes me to write more. I feel like I’m on a squad because I am surrounded by the most buoyant, beautiful, cheerleaders! Thank you Riva for giving us the space to write, receive, and most importantly, be a part of something bigger. A little about me….I appreciate puns and wordplay. I go for long walks everyday. My friends tell me I have different voices for when I try to describe a person or situation. I am a bit spazzy and naive and I talk to myself too much, and when I get passionate about something I gesticulate with my hands like I’m learning gemera B’iyun. I never want to change. Contrary to what many people believe about writers, I am AWFUL at grammar. Hate it. Just so completely. I have been a part of several writing/poetry groups. I have been published before but I want it to happen again and again because what writer doesn’t? I am in middle of a novel. I do Kiruv. I can listen to Ishay Ribo all day. I am a lefty. My prius is held together by duct tape. No one has ever passed it and not let out a hardly suppressed snicker. I have an unhealthy collection of books. I MUST own them. It’s gotten to the point where I sneak amazon packages and judaica bags up to my room before my parents can catch me. If I’m too late and I get chastised by my mother for the gazillionth time about purchasing a book I’ve already read, I will give my sister a pleading look and she’ll come to my rescue by shrugging her shoulders saying, “It’s a nerd thing.” I don’t care if this is a popular opinion or not; pepsi is better than coke! I am currently in quarantine and I panic ordered 6 boxes of nature bars. My best friend told me they will last a week. She’s being generous. I can’t do a split and I still don’t understand why girls would randomly do them in the middle of recess in junior high, why was that normal? I cry when The Man from Vilna comes on shuffle. Every. Single. Time. I love to write…I think that’s a given for everyone on this forum. But I love to surprise myself more, and that’s the real reason I do what I do. And I love reading other peoples work and having them surprise me too. Life is full of those as the saying goes. In their own unique way, everyone here is super accomplished, I am honored to be a part of that! I love work that moves me or makes me laugh or both. I can’t wait to see what we can all achieve here. *raises pepsi in the air*To all the wonderful women of masterpiece. I give us all the bracha that whatever writing wish we want this year should be fulfilled, and we should be able to greet mashiach and continue surprising ourselves there, in our writings and every other wonderful aspect of our lives.see you there. psst fiction fangirl…your move.

• Anagrammer

October 20, 2020 at 3:07 am

<p>Woah, Rochel, I’m awed. I feel like I know you! And BTW, I’m halfway you (well, with such a long bio, how would it possibly be that I wouldn’t apply to half of what you said?!)… Besides for Pepsi. I’m Dr. PEPPER. He he he. </p><p>This is supposed to be in a teeny tiny font: I’m also the sneaking Amazon packages and Judaica bags up to my room type…<br></p>

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      October 20, 2020 at 7:11 am

Love it, Rochel. In fact, couldn’t love it more if I tried. All of it!!! 🙂 So glad to have you here with us–big time! 😍👍

• Fiction Fangirl

October 20, 2020 at 2:18 pm

<p>Aaaaaaannddddd she’s outta the bag!!! Hello Rochel my fellow Ishay Ribo fan, owner of an unhealthy collection of books, and lover of wordplay.</p><p>*waves*</p><p>Today is a good day, Masterpiecers. Because it kinda feels like a bright neon rainbow has blazed across the sky and it’s raining fluffy cats and colorful sprinkles.</p><p>That’s the joy of discovering a kindred spirit.</p><p>😍<br></p><p><br></p>

• PassionforWriting

October 20, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Hi Rochel!I love your intro too 🙂

• Brocha

October 20, 2020 at 2:25 am

<p>Hi, Rochel! Your intro is awesomesauce.</p>

• HappiWriter

October 20, 2020 at 1:58 pm

<p>Belated welcome Rochel! It’s great having you here!!!</p><p>A hearty amen to every one of your brachos.</p>

• Yehudis

November 17, 2020 at 12:33 am

I’m Yehudis, and a little shy. I’ve been following along for a while. This place seems to be so welcoming and friendly, that I’m finally ready and excited to come on and introduce myself.

I’m a freelance writer that loves to write about ideas. I do non-fiction type of work. I’ve had lots of my work published Baruch Hashem, and got lots of work rejected, also Baruch Hashem! (not easy, let me tell you…) I am looking to grow, to improve my writing skills in like minded-company, and maybe even learn to write good fiction.

• PassionforWriting

November 17, 2020 at 12:39 am

Hi Yehudis and welcome! So happy you’re here and are finding Masterpiece to be welcoming! I also love the warmth, acceptance and openness Masterpiece offers. What kind of non-fiction work do you do? Do you write articles? I’m not really familiar with how freelancing works.

• HappiWriter

November 17, 2020 at 1:54 am

Hey Yehudis, Welcome!!!

“I am my own hardest, most miserable critic and the only reason why I still write after all that self-bashing is because I love to write even more.”

Yup, kindred spirit here!!! 😆

• Anagrammer

November 17, 2020 at 2:37 am

Welcome, Yehudis! Can’t wait to hear from you!

• Yehudis

November 17, 2020 at 12:53 am

Hi Passion,

I’ve done lots of interviews, thought-provoking pieces, memoir-style type of work and more.

I am my own hardest, most miserable critic and the only reason why I still write after all that self-bashing is because I love to write even more.

• PassionforWriting

November 17, 2020 at 1:49 am

Wow! That’s amazing! I also very much relate to the inner critic. That’s also why I keep submitting even though I always get rejected.

How do you get into freelancing? Like how do people know about you? And do you have to be super professional to freelance?

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      November 17, 2020 at 12:38 pm

Memo

PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL

To: Yehudis’ Inner Critic

November 17, 2020

Critic,

I get you. I really do. Your job is to protect Yehudis from thinking too highly of herself because then she’ll let down her guard and do shoddy work.

Or perhaps your job is to protect Yehudis from getting her hopes up too high; that way, if she gets rejected, she won’t be too disappointed because, well, you told her so.

Or maybe, just maybe, your job is actually to carefully and wisely discern how Yehudis can best upgrade her writing so she can produce her best work?

Inner critics wear many hats and are cut from all kinds of cloth. They are usually born and bred in early childhood, nursed on the feedback we get from our family, teachers, and friends. I know, Critic, that you’re orobably pretty smug about the role you play in Yehudis’ life. You most likely feel that you have it made in the shade, that you have eternal job security because hey, who can fire you, right?

But you must know, Critic, that when we grow up and get wiser, we come to realize that guys like you are actually replaceable. So it’s time to take stock of who you are and what you do. Because Yehudis needs an ally, not an enemy. She deserves a helpful coach, an upbeat cheerleader. Peanut galleries are for the elephants. Yehudis deserves to shine!

If you’re really on her team, prove it by propelling her forward. If not…well, your days might just be numbered, friend. Especially because on Masterpiece, we’re all about constructive, not destructive, and Yehudis is in the club now!

cc: Masterpiece Community

• Sherry

November 17, 2020 at 4:11 pm

🙂 And you’re right, Riva, we all set the bar impossibly high.

• Sherry

November 17, 2020 at 4:12 pm

Sounds interesting, Yehudis. Can’t wait to see your stuff and welcome!

• Brocha

November 17, 2020 at 1:27 am

Hi, Yehudis who’s a little shy!

I’m not quite Brocha, ‘cuz I’m very shy.

I completely feel you because I’m also a freelancer who doesn’t do fiction either. 🙂

And for Passion: freelancing just means you don’t work for any specific person; you accept jobs wherever they’re offered and you’re your own boss.

I’d like being my own boss more, if it didn’t include having me as an employee. 😈

I’m looking forward to seeing your stuff, Yehudis!

Love,

“Brocha”

• PassionforWriting

November 17, 2020 at 1:50 am

Thank you for explaining! I’m also wondering how you started freelancing, to see if it’s something I can do.

• Anagrammer

November 17, 2020 at 2:35 am

“I’d like being my own boss more, if it didn’t include having me as an employee.”

He he.

• Sherry

November 17, 2020 at 4:13 pm

Brocha, I’d take you any day! 🙂

• Sherry

November 18, 2020 at 1:30 am

Brocha, you’re a real poet at heart – even your response reads poetic.

• Brocha

November 18, 2020 at 2:19 am

Aww thanks

• PassionforWriting

November 17, 2020 at 3:53 am

Lol!!!

• Ashira Becker

November 17, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Hey all.

I’m Ashira. I’ve been writing on and off for the past few years, publishing mainly short stories and feature articles.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      November 17, 2020 at 10:35 pm

Ashira! So nice to meet you! We’d love to see some of your work, pretty please!! Where have you published?

• Ashira Becker

November 18, 2020 at 3:23 pm

I’ve been published in the Ami, Mishpacha and Binah.

• PassionforWriting

November 18, 2020 at 11:18 pm

Welcome, Ashira!

• HappiWriter

November 18, 2020 at 3:28 pm

Hi Ashira! Welcome aboard!!!

• Brocha

November 17, 2020 at 9:00 pm

Hi, Ashira! Welcome

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now