Home Forums Poetry Had I Known

• Had I Known

MH updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 9 Members · 26 Posts
  • MH

October 12, 2020 at 8:30 pm

I wrote this after I found out a loved one was going through a hard time that I had no idea about.Had I known what was happening I never would’ve doubted you. I would look into those angry eyes that hurl accuses at me without even speaking and I would talk to you. I would try to piece those sharp glass pieces together; I would make them invincible with my love had I known. Had I known I would’ve whispered lovingly to you. Words you so desperately needed to hear but I was blinded by my own kind of anger. If I had only known what the nightmare haunting you, making your shoulders slump I would’ve raised you higher in my eyes. I wish I could turn back the clock so I could save you from that horror, that I could promise you it would never happen again, I would do it. So only now when I know, I can only take your trembling hand and look into those broken eyes as I find your fear. The reasons for the outbursts and the overreacting. For the crying and the privacy. I only wish you told me. I’m holding you.Something I should’ve done a long time ago. I won’t let you escape this time because I need to hold on to you. And even though you don’t return my embrace, too shaken, I only hug you tighter. Because I felt empty all those years, I let you go.

All those years I didn’t know. I wish I could take back the pain that caused this, I wish I can mend the damage. But the deed was done, and it happened far too long ago to confront the one who did this to you. To glare at them daggers poisoned with hurt and laced with betrayal . I can’t do that now. But I can be here with you. I can caress your hair, whisper words long overdue, and hope it’s enough for now. I know you can’t possibly forgive me entirely for not understanding. But this is a start. And I swear I will never let you go.

• Chagit

October 12, 2020 at 8:34 pm

<p>Wow MH!</p><p>This piece is emotion laden. I can see that the feelings run very deep.</p><p><br></p>

• MH

October 12, 2020 at 8:44 pm

Thank you Chagit! I apologize though, the formatting switched when I posted it…

• Anagrammer

October 12, 2020 at 8:48 pm

<p>Woah! Powerful, MH! This piece is so expressive, coming from deep within you…</p>

• Anagrammer

October 12, 2020 at 8:48 pm

<p>Oops, not specifically meant to be a reply to the above post…</p>

• Brocha

October 12, 2020 at 9:07 pm

<p>May I post you a hug, MH? I love this. ❤</p>

• Sury

October 12, 2020 at 9:15 pm

MH, wow – this poem is so deep and emotional. Thanks for sharing.

• Rochel Solomon

October 12, 2020 at 9:38 pm

I think everyone on some level can relate to the feeling of why didn’t I know that then and I think your piece really captures the desperation but also the rich, raw, emotion that leaves a person hopeful.

• MH

October 12, 2020 at 10:35 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate all of it thank you<3 And Brocha I’ll take the hug:)

• Brocha

October 12, 2020 at 10:41 pm

<p><—></p><p>That’s a hug in textish. ❤</p>

• MH

October 12, 2020 at 11:45 pm

I feel it!)

• PassionforWriting

October 12, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Wow, wow! I found my heart melting and softening as I read your poem, MH. Wow…! I love it.

• PassionforWriting

October 12, 2020 at 10:50 pm

I think the best pieces are the ones that are real, deep, emotional and even raw!

• MH

October 12, 2020 at 11:36 pm

Thank you Passion! It really means alot!

• PassionforWriting

October 12, 2020 at 11:42 pm

aww!! My pleasure 🙂

• Fayge Y.

October 13, 2020 at 1:25 am

<p>Not to go commercial on you but this is totally appropriate to work on and submit to Family First. The column in letter format – Words Unspoken?<br></p>

• Anagrammer

October 13, 2020 at 1:43 am

<p>Agreed!</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 13, 2020 at 1:47 am

Yup!! I definitely think this would be a great fit for Words Unspoken!

• MH

October 13, 2020 at 2:05 am

Wow! Thank you! That would be nice…Family First is part of Mishpacha?

• HappiWriter

October 13, 2020 at 2:13 am

<p>yup</p><p>You can find the submission guidelines on their website.</p>

• PassionforWriting

October 13, 2020 at 2:47 am

https://mishpacha.com/help-center/I found this link in my email when I emailed them a while back. Hope it helps!

• PassionforWriting

October 13, 2020 at 2:48 am
    • PassionforWriting

October 13, 2020 at 2:49 am

I found that link in my inbox when I got their list of guidelines. Let us know if it helps 🙂

• MH

October 13, 2020 at 2:52 am

Thank you so much everyone! And thank you Passion for the link!

• HappiWriter

October 13, 2020 at 1:31 am

<p>MH, I you have a wonderful, flowing writing style. </p><p>Like others mentioned, this brings out a sentiment that many of us feel at some point. </p>

• MH

October 13, 2020 at 2:06 am

Thank you HappiWritter!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content