Home Forums Showcase: Your Best Work! Family First COVID project

Tagged: ,

• Family First COVID project

Ellie updated 5 months, 1 week ago 19 Members · 65 Posts
  • Esther

June 7, 2020 at 2:24 pm

Wanted to share my submission with you guys.  (And get more points;P;P;P)  If anyone hasn’t heard of this contest, I am happy to share the info.  (There’s no competition among us, right?  We’re on the same team;))

My Lifeline

How to condense my entire COVID saga into one physical object?  I mean, I have my bed, pillows, blankets, books, magazines, AC remote, phone, mp3, earbuds, chargers…well, you get the idea.  And I dare to guess I’m not the only one with a great setup like this.

But I’m going to have to award my computer the gold.

Some background.  A while ago, I was hospitalized for an eating disorder.  It was a horrible experience, not recommended.  At one point, looking for something to do all day, I got a PC.  The idea was to hook up to WiFi and take some sort of course.  That never happened, instead I basically ended up watching frum movies on it.  But Hashem had a plan.

When I came home, my dad got me connected, filter and all, but I still wasn’t doing much.  Honestly, that period is kind of a blank.  I was struggling to readjust to life and not managing so well.  And then lockdown crept up on us.  I started drowning.  Whatever minimal contact I’d had, and had been trying to develop, with the outside world, disintegrated to make way for our new reality. 

So my laptop became my tool to healing.  I had sessions on zoom, did exercise videos almost every day, wrote, shared corona-quotes with friends.  (And spoke to them – my phone gets the silver medal…)  Later, I started watching stuff from Torah Live, Torah Anytime, Mostly Music.  I practiced touch-typing and learned a bit of French.

I can’t say how it happened.  But as the outside world as we knew it disappeared, inside I realized that I would be OK.

During COVID I received a precious gift, one I never thought I’d know.  Thank You Hashem, for the gift of recovery.  And thank You for my computer.

• Fayge Y.

June 7, 2020 at 5:36 pm

Wow. I anticipated entries like this which is why I might not enter.  Entries substantial and thought provoking. If I do enter, it’ll be shelving paper. I’ll share it here if/when I do write bli neder.

• Fayge Y.

June 7, 2020 at 6:30 pm

[quote quote=18328]Esther, this is awesome, and I totally hope you win! ? Fayge Y., it’s so validating for you to recognize the worth in Esther’s piece, but I am sure it does not need to come at the expense of your own capabilities! To quote Esther, “[quote quote=18310]There’s no competition among us, right? We’re on the same team;)[/quot

(Accidentally reported your post instead of quote.)

I know, and the truth is, there are several reasons why I chose this object and they’re by far not trivial.  And I think we can validate the trivial too.

• Esther

June 8, 2020 at 9:40 am

Thanks!  Means a lot.

Happens to be that I’m not so sure how good it is, but submitting it anyway.  Not saying that so that you can go, “Are you crazy, it’s amazing!”, just making a point that sometimes we can be really unsure of our writing but others don’t need to know that BC they like it.  And sometimes we’re right, and it’s really not so good.  And that’s OK too.  Ever read something by an author you love and are like, she wrote that, that’s not her usual standard?  So it happens to the best of them.

Anyway, getting off my soapbox and just letting you know that I can’t wait to read your entry, Fayge!  And anyone else out there.  And may the best writer win…;)

• Esty Mendelowitz

June 8, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Wow, Esther, that’s beautiful!  It really underscores what I’ve been saying about how although COVID-19 affected us all, it affected everyone differently, depending on where they are in life.

I saw the contest, and as I said in my intro, I love contests!  But I couldn’t think of anything past masks or Purell, so I didn’t submit yet.  (When’s the deadline again?)

I’ll have to think some more…

So Esther, if I don’t enter, I hope you win.  And if I do enter, I hope you win second place! 🙂

• Aviva Stern

June 8, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Rat a tat tat. Thunk thunk. Bang! A knock at the door, no matter how you clop it. A sound that was familiar to my children just a few short months ago. The sound which brought anticipation and happiness ( and sometimes annoyance) to their faces. “Can we have 2 eggs?” “Can I borrow your bike? were some of the typical exchanges.  The mail that carried bright colored catalogs and crisp white and blue amazon packages that were allowed entrance. The door was the portal to the outside world, as well as the entranceway into our own little universe. It helped cross the divide between our home and what lay outside.

During Corona it took on a new persona as a gatekeeper, whose security you did not breach. The universe was solely what lay between our own walls. We learned how to be happy without visitors from outside, and anticipate the excitement that we self-created. The door was all but abandoned and ignored.

As the easing of restrictions has come upon us, the door is once again trying to call a truce with us inside. “You may pass by” it announces, but I will still carefully screen what crosses my threshold. Perhaps there is a role to be had to keep out the riffraff and allow us to focus on what lies within. What’s that I hear? A timid pitter-patter on the door, heralding that things have changed. The soft butterfly knock, a sound of something fresh and new. The door has made peace once again.

• Aviva Stern

June 8, 2020 at 2:55 pm

I figured I’d share something into this discussion!

• Esther Kurtz

June 8, 2020 at 3:06 pm

Don’t know if I’ll submit, but this is my take. A little lighter in tone.

My knit skirt is pilled. Pilled in the you-look-homeless-please-throw-that-out kind of way. I bought it early March at a 70 percent off sale, it’s midi length and powder blue and I planned on wearing it on off days with a t-shirt. I could even dress it up if I wanted to; I had big plans for this skirt. But we all know how that worked out, for me, the world.

I washed the skirt once, it pilled terribly. If I had paid full price I would have returned it. If the store was open; I would have complained, instead I wore it. And I wore it again the next day, and the day after, and the day after that. I’ve washed it a few times in between, but three months later it’s my Covid uniform. Super comfortable and practical, with my baby who I’ve dubbed “Herr Hem-Clinger” pulling himself up on my skirt, I don’t worry about upkeep or things like snot and leftover oatmeal clumps.

It’s June and me and my midi are BFFs and I can’t understand why I ever thought to throw it out. Why I thought it unworthy. Apparently I’ve been dressing for other people all along.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 9:49 pm

OMG, Leiba, I just love the imagery and the profundity in the simplicity!

• MJ

June 8, 2020 at 6:11 pm

I actually lost my family first and I texted my family a few times  to send me the contest again. Can you post the contest here.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 9:52 pm

I’m going to be really silly here and say that I’m sitting here laughing as I read the first words of MJ’s post: “I actually lost my family first”. Wondering how you managed to do that when everyone was AT HOME, on LOCKDOWN, cuz I’m still trying to lose a couple but they keep finding me!!!! 🙂 Sorry, apparently it’s way past my bedtime, ladies!!!

• Baila

June 8, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Here is what I wrote.  I can’t submit it because I am still having name issues.  But it was fun to write…..

My husband, a doctor, followed Covid’s approach to Israel like a weatherman watches a winter storm.  Before, shuls closed or the Haredi community in Israel was hit, he told our Rebbe and Rebbetzin who are also our neighbors, that they must go into isolation.  But he is a full-service doctor/chassid so because our Rebbe is in his year of aveilus, we became the first parking lot minyan in the world.  My husband was machmir on social distancing, the Rebbe was machmir on parking lot tables and white table cloths for shabbos.  When the rules changed, the neighborhood police called to let us know we needed to move to porches.  This minyan continued through hail, heat and rain.  It was a source of chizuk and joy for our entire family.  Hallel, Pesach night from the porches, during the silence of lockdown was one of the highlights of my life.

My husband suggested I start wearing masks, several weeks before the law.  I was on a Covid high awaiting Mashiach’s arrival.  “The only thing that will save us is Hashem,” I said.  Then, I remembered “isha kashera osah ratzon baalah” especially if she really hates his idea and especially since mashiach is imminent. I put on a stupid mask.  I wasn’t happy until I remembered that Jewish women take challenging times and use them for kedusha.

My daughter and I took out the sewing machine and began making fabric and ribbon masks. “Could you make a mask for the Rebbe?”  my husband asked.  I smiled, cut up an old brocade curtain and made masks for the Rebbe and Rebbetzin.  “I am pretty sure,” I laughed to my daughter, “that we are the only person in the history of the world who sewed a mask l’chvod Shabbos kodesh for an admor.”

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Love this, Baila. Down to the details on the Admor’s brocade-curtain mask!!! Oy, weren’t we all straining our ears for Moshiach… sigh… but he IS coming. I hope it’s today.

• Baila

June 8, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Esther,

This is beautiful. Hashem should continue to heal you.

• Esther

June 8, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Thanks Esty!  Deadline is midnight EST Tuesday, June 9.  And I hope you win 2nd…really, I think we’ll all just be thrilled if someone from Masterpiece wins…go Aviva, go Leiba!  Come on everyone else, don’t let us down!  (Yeah, this is a stand-in for camp this year.)

Aviva, your piece felt so thought-out and gentle, loved the idea!  Leiba, I like how you made it light but so so so so so so true…last line reeeeaaaally hits home.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Come on, Masterpiece members! One of you has GOT to win!!!!!!

• MJ

June 8, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Is this the time capsule contest. Wasnt that in the Mishpacha not the family first?   My kids put together a cute list of our new Carona Vocab in alphabetical order that they wanted to submit but we lost the details of where to send it to.. Nothing using too much talent but it was  a fun activity.

• Esther

June 8, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Yeah, it is in both.  And for sure send that in, sounds cool:)

“Tell us what physical object embodies this time period for you.  Send your 100-300-word story to familyfirst@mishpacha.com by midnight EST Tuesday, June 9, 2020.  All submissions will be entered into a raffle for a $200 gift certificate.”

• MJ

June 8, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Amazing! Thanks.  I sent it in.

And I actually just read your piece. Wow! Thanks for Sharing. It is so nice to see the hope in your piece. Great writing.  I love how you picked a computer. I feel that computers are looked at as such an enemy but there is so much good done with the computers and its nice to talk about it. Loads of Hatzlacha!

• Fayge Y.

June 9, 2020 at 2:47 am

Here’s what I sent:

CORONAVIRUS TIME CAPSULE OBJECT

Is there a prize for most prosaic item? This bag of shelving paper,
    whole rolls and fragments, defines this era for me, on several levels:
    #1: Chronology
    Before Purim, I thought, I really need more shelving paper for Pesach.
    But then came quarantine, stores closing, catching Covid, then
    worrying about shedding. The dollar store wasn’t my first stop after
    resuming in-store shopping, and this brings us up to Shavuos.

#2: Let’s get deep, shall we?
    The point of time where it became clear that we wouldn’t have new
    paper for Pesach coincided with a point in time where I was mostly
    glued to the sofa, breathing deeply, and directing turning over
    by whisper. Relying on disposables, we didn’t need too many shelves
    lined, and the leftovers from last year and some craft paper were
    ample for our needs. As I ruminated on going into a 3 day yom tov with
    fever and symptoms, shelving paper was pretty low on my list of
    concerns. Ah, had I known that the day I felt closest to Hashem, and
    said “Beyadcha afkid ruchi” with what felt like more kavana than maybe
    the rest of my life put together, was going to be my last day of
    fever, and that my appetite would return…For that alone, I’m glad I
    didn’t know.

#3: Coronalogy
    It’s mixed-up schedules, Eli Beer’s Pesach sheni, quarantine ending on
    Octembuary 54. And my lining my kitchen cabinets just before Pesach’s
    atzeres, aka Shavuos. Even as we kept to halachic scheduling in our
    daily lives, in a sense, we lived l’maaleh min haz’man. As we
    gradually regain control of our time (if not yet, soon) I don’t want
    to forget that Hashem is the Adol Hakol; the rest is illusion.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Okay, this is very funny, Fayge Y., and I guess you might have been confused about how I responded to your comment above on Esther’s submission. I had thought you were using the phrase [quote quote=18322]If I do enter, it’ll be shelving paper.[/quote] to belittle your own work compared to Esther’s submission, as in “my piece will be rubbish compared to yours”! LOL!! I didn’t realize you were actually being extremely literal!!!! Love this! The shelving paper–wow! Talk about the profound in the prosaic! SUPER WOW!!!!!!

• Elisheva Halle

June 9, 2020 at 3:17 am

It’s so hard because I have an amazing story that happened during Corona, but it surrounds a sensitive topic which can’t be published in a magazine…perhaps here I would but only with a pen name…oh well, what do you do in such a situation? Write for yourself? I don’t know why I can’t get past the idea of writing just for myself…it’s so hard to create something beautiful but not be able to share it with others…how does everyone else here deal with that?

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Not fair, Elisheva. Now you’ve made us all crazy curious!!

Just so you know, you can always ask me to post anonymously if you have something sensitive or extremely personal that you’d like to share. Although I just have to point out here that it gives me great nachas to see that, baruch Hashem, this group is super supportive and safe, which is the ideal climate for nurturing creativity and achieving goals together!

• Ellie

June 21, 2020 at 11:47 pm

Hi Elisheva,

Writing on sensitive topics can be hard with putting your name on it…I deal with that often. Sensitive or controversial topics…or personal stories that I don’t want my siblings and neighbors knowing I go through!

I have no idea which topic you’re referring to (though I’m curious to read it:) However there are some frum magazines online specifically for delicate topics and pen

names are welcome. For example, TSC (The Survivors Club) is emailed out every other month with absolute confidentiality. Used to be monthly:( From editors and all staff down to the writers, everyone is only random initials you choose. So you might like to submit to a similar publication. Shame to miss sharing a good story with others. Hope you find a way!

• Esther

June 9, 2020 at 5:39 am

I know what you mean!  Frustrating much?  I feel like writing is only half the need, sharing is the other half (and feedback is the last half – hey, I’m usually good at math…)

Sometimes I can find someone to share it with, whether it is a family member, a mentor, close friend…

Depending on what the topic is, you can either change details, hint to sensitive things והמבין יבין, post under a pen name, write it “as told to”, or just post it here for us;)  I don’t know what you are talking about, so obv some things won’t work.

• Fayge Y.

June 9, 2020 at 1:20 pm

[quote quote=18464]It’s so hard because I have an amazing story that happened during Corona, but it surrounds a sensitive topic which

can’t be published in a magazine…perhaps here I would but only with a pen name…oh well, what do you do in such a situation? Write for yourself? I don’t know why I can’t get past the idea of writing just for myself…it’s so hard to create something beautiful but not be able to share it with others…how does everyone else here deal with that?[/quote]

Write it up. Maybe you’ll find a way to reframe things. Because someone is going to do an anthology, Our Lives style, on this tekufa. There are so many personal narratives, poetry, prose, and more out there. And when we hear about it, you’ll be good to go.

• HappiWriter

June 9, 2020 at 2:43 pm

I think the greatest object we possess during these times is bitachon. Though not physical, it’s the only thing that maintains our sanity.

What would we do without the rock solid belief in Hashem, the Conductor who’s arrangements are only for our good?

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 10:02 pm

So well said, HappiWriter! And during this tekufah our bitachon has to be so rock-solid so as to be almost TANGIBLE!!

• Fayge Y.

June 9, 2020 at 3:18 pm

[quote quote=18475]I think the greatest object we possess during these times is bitachon. Though not physical, it’s the only thing that maintains our sanity. What would we do without the rock solid belief in Hashem, the Conductor who’s arrangements are only for our good?[/quote]

Absolutely! Even secular sources (a webinar I heard about the future of libraries) say that we have to learn to live with uncertainty. For us, this is axiomatic: we don’t control, Hashem does. As so much good work here elegantly expresses.

• Menucha Levin

June 9, 2020 at 6:39 pm

LOCKDOWN CHOCOLATE

Menucha Chana Levin

I’m so not techno-savvy I thought I posted this earlier but don’t see it here so trying again: 

Chocolate – the very mmmention of it perks up my taste buds. At first I loved sweet creamy milk chocolate but after learning that dark chocolate is actually healthy I switched to the deep, dark kind. That had the added advantage of being pareve so I could sneak a piece (or two or more) between meals on Shabbos. Though I always bought Shabbos treats for my kids, the chocolate, kept in a secret stash, was mine alone. Then, as the years increased along with my waistline and the doctor pointed out my cholesterol level was slightly high, I made the correct though painful decision to stop buying chocolate. Somehow I learned to survive with fruit, nuts and other healthy snacks but still sadly missed chocolate.

Then coronavirus suddenly reared its scary head, turning normal life sideways. Stress permeated the air we breathed, with 24/7 lockdown, crowded indoors with cabin fever combined with stir craziness, oy vey!

One day when I just couldn’t take it anymore, I put on a mask and walked over to the local grocery store. How wonderful to be out in the sunshine again, feeling like a kid playing hooky! Our groceries were being delivered but I glanced around the little store in case I’d forgotten to order some items. And then I saw it – my beloved chocolate, both milky and dark, with nuts or raisins or cookie bits! Really, how I could possibly resist? Still, I’m pleased to state that lockdown chocolate isn’t my only sweet stress-reliever. Since Shavuos, I’ve also found myself indulging in ice cream.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 9, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Menucha, you have my vote (in exchange for a piece of your chocolate, of course! ;-))! Dark chocolate. Mmmm… Totally. I’m trying to do healthy, too, so I buy the 90% cocoa. YUM!!!!

• Anagrammer

June 10, 2020 at 12:42 am

Riva, I had the exact same reactions as you – to MJ about losing her family first and to Fayge Y. about her entry being shelving paper. 😉

There is such incredible creativity on this thread!

Leiba, I love how you chose a skirt. It reflects on the idea that during this tekufah we find ourselves appreciating/missing/craving/needing those things we always took for granted or even disliked!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 10, 2020 at 9:56 pm

Anagrammer, you know what they say about great minds…. 🙂 ‘Course you do, because we obviously think alike! lol!

• Esther

June 10, 2020 at 5:12 am

Fayge:)

I’m going to have to read your posts more carefully from now on…

• Springbird

June 10, 2020 at 5:23 am

Hi!

I found out about the Family First contest at around 10:00 tonight after reading some entries right here. I did manage to send something off in that short time frame ( contest closed at midnight!), but I wish I would have heard about it earlier.

Would it be possible to notify us about all contests as soon as they begin?

Thanks!

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 10, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Great idea, Springbird! (Welcome, by the way! :-)) Thanks for the suggestion! I will start a category called Contests where all of us can post about any contests we hear about.

Speaking of helpful categories, just want to remind all of you that I have a great category called Job Postings where you can post any writing, editing, proofreading, or translating positions or projects that are available, to help out fellow members. It’s here, if you want to check it out, with some very juicy offerings that I posted very recently: https://masterpiece.rivapomerantz.com/forum/forum/jobs-projects-positions-available/

• Fayge Y.

June 10, 2020 at 12:52 pm

[quote quote=18518]Fayge:) I’m going to have to read your posts more carefully from now on…[/quote]

Usually, I have to take the blame for obtuse writing. Glad I could say this wasn’t the case, at least once. (I would have said bird cage liner  had I  meant that ; -D)

I thought of something else. I’ll develop it before sharing what it is. Because I think this thread is worth continuing.

• MJ

June 10, 2020 at 2:15 pm

I did this with my family as an activity about a month ago.. and we submitted it to the contest. Amazing how even my four year old picked up on a whole new vocabulary.
    We had so much fun doing this, and it gives the kids opportunities to ask about words they may hear floating around but they do not exactly understand he meaning. I love words and I can get emotional when talking about word choices, I guess thats why I am on this site.. hey maybe I should write an essay on that.. good idea for next time I carve out time to write.

I am not so thrilled with J-x- or Y so if anyone has any vocab words to add.

The NEW NORMAL ALPHABET CHART

A- antibodies, amazon, and apples
    B- bats and backyard chasuna
    C- carona- covid- China –Conference calls
    D-doctors – distance learn – dry coughs
    E- ease restrictions, executive order, and eat
    F- faucci, fever, free food, and flatten the curve
    G- gloves and germs.
    H- hygiene, Hatzala, high risk, and hydrochloriquine
    I- immunity and intubated
    J- Jailed indoors
    K- K95 mask
    L- layoffs, lab, and lockdown
    M- mask
    N- negative, New Normal, non essential.
    O- oxygen
    P- pandemic , pajamas, PPP, price gauging, plasma, purell , and personal protective equipment.
    Q- quarantine
    R- Re-opening – respirators
    S- stimulus, stay at home, social distancing, six feet, second wave, symptoms. Screen time.
    T- technical difficulties, task force, toilet paper, telemedicine, testing.
    U- unemployment and unprecedented
    V- vaccine, virtual, ventilator-and virus,
    W- WHO and Wuhan
    X- Xrays of chest- xeptional first responders and medical staff.
    Y- yearning for the old normal life
    Z- zoom and zelensky and zink

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      June 10, 2020 at 9:57 pm

MJ, this is A for AWESOME and J is definitely for a Job Well Done! 🙂

• Esther

June 10, 2020 at 4:34 pm

Like!

• Leahle

June 10, 2020 at 5:01 pm

So cute!!

• Word Warrior

June 10, 2020 at 10:07 pm

ooh so sad I had a draft going here and it looks like its gone 🙁 Riva, any way to save a draft for future?

I’ll just briefly recap- yeah I wish I’d known about the contest too! I love everyone’s entries!
    Mine was King of Tokyo- a board game.

I had just given birth bH to our first baby and my parents and in-laws just managed to come and leave before all the borders closed down (this sounds like pre WWII, so scary!).

Suddenly, my husband and I were alone, and instead of going to my parents for Pesach, we set out to make Pesach ourselves for the first time  (read: my husband made Pesach. I stayed in bed with our little girl :))

And amidst all the lockdowns here in Israel, the local grocery shopping and the mask wearing, the phone calls, zooms and questions swirling around outside, we were lucky to cozy down and learn together, in our own time, how to be first-time parents. We borrowed board games, and we spent most of Pesach, sitting on our little couch, holding our baby or praying she wouldn’t wake up from the sound of the rolling dice as we played, again and again and again, King of Tokyo 🙂

Highly recommend, btw 🙂

• Anagrammer

June 11, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Elisheva: [quote quote=18464]I don’t know why I can’t get past the idea of writing just for myself…it’s so hard to create something beautiful but not be able to share it with others…[/quote]

Esther: [quote quote=18466]Sometimes I can find someone to share it with, whether it is a family member, a mentor, close friend…[/quote]

It’s amazing if you have a friend/relative who is your soapbox – meaning you can shoot off an email to her at any hour of the night, and she’ll respond with a long feedback email, pronto. I bless you all that you should find such a person in your life. In general, when you have something to share, think if you have someone in your life who will appreciate it (make it about the reader, and you feel like you are ‘giving’, and she feels touched that you thought of her). We ‘women who write’ sometimes don’t even know the כח we have to inspire, uplift, and touch another with our words. I know here on Masterpiece I’ve been so moved by what you e\members have shared. And it can be even more powerful when you know that the one you are sharing with will be able to relate. Then, of course, there are those things that you can never share with anyone. Since I am a ‘sharer’ by nature (I know, I know, it’s hard to believe; I haven’t shared yet on Masterpiece! I’m busy lately 🙂 ), what I tell myself when it comes to these writing is that I’m sharing it with myself. My future self. In 5 or 10 years I will look back at this piece through the eyes of a reader, not the writer, and ‘feedback’ my previous self – I will notice the strong lines, the emotional appeal, the good parts and the not-so-good parts. So I put it away, and ‘have patience’. Easier said than done, but sometimes necessary.

• Esther

June 15, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Guys, it was accepted for print!  Thanks so much for all the encouragement, couldn’t have done it without you.

• Esther

June 15, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Aww…

• Anagrammer

June 15, 2020 at 5:14 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO PROUD! You deserved it!

• MJ

June 15, 2020 at 5:22 pm

Wow! Thats great! Cannot wait to see it in print.

• HappiWriter

June 15, 2020 at 5:51 pm

Woohoo!!!! Esther, good for you! 🙂

• Fayge Y.

June 15, 2020 at 6:52 pm

[quote quote=18836]Guys, it was accepted for print! Thanks so much for all the encouragement, couldn’t have done it without you.[/quote]

Wow! Will you give us the heads up when and where?

• Esther

June 15, 2020 at 6:59 pm

Issue 698, June 24.

• Esther Kurtz

June 15, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Mine was accepted as well. It should be in print on June 24th (at least that’s what my email says).

• Esty Mendelowitz

June 15, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Hurray Esther and Lieba!!!

Mazel tov!!  So excited for both of you!

(See?  You can trust Masterpiecers to know good stuff when we see it!  When we say to submit, you really should!

Wait, did I just name us?  Masterpiecers?  I love it!  Whaddya all think?)

• Fayge Y.

June 18, 2020 at 1:40 pm

The Sound of Coffee

Sounds of coffee poured

By displaced bochur. Where’s true

Home away from home?

OK, I decided to write more though not necessarily comment less (insert devil emoji). As I heard my bochur pour* his coffee this morning into an empty mug, which is why I could hear it, I though t of writing some corona musings that involved all the senses. I have a 10:00 commitment so I decided to submit the haiku that just popped into my head. I would like to develop this more though.

*Real Bochrim Don’t Use Spoons. (Book title. I just need 50 more aphorisms and illustrations.)

• Fayge Y.

June 18, 2020 at 5:33 pm

I couldn’t edit, so I’ll do another post. I have to work on this. It’s not obvious I mean instant granules but have to figure out the syllables.

• Anagrammer

June 18, 2020 at 6:24 pm

Was obvious to me. This made me smile so far. Can’t wait for more!

• Blessed

June 19, 2020 at 2:36 am

I finally decided to check again what this post about the First Family COVID project was (First Lady? Ivanka?) and then I realized……………… ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…. I am coming in too late in the discussion but I had to pipe up with this comic relief. 🙂

• Fayge Y.

June 19, 2020 at 12:56 pm

[quote quote=19063]Was obvious to me. This made me smile so far. Can’t wait for more![/quote]

The funny thing is, I feel I’m packing it all into the haiku. I think I have to do some first morning writing  or something to see if I can recapture what I was originally thinking.

• Fiction Fangirl

June 19, 2020 at 7:30 pm

Woah.  Hold the phone.  There was a contest?!

I get my Mishpacha consistently late via mail.  What I picked up now is that the contest ended, Esther’s piece was accepted, and Fayge Y. is working on a book titled Real Bochrim Don’t Use Spoons.

(Laughing)

*cannot catch breath*

Things have been fun here, ladies.

Thank goodness Riva created a contests forum so I don’t lose track next time ’round.  Can a category be created for any published pieces such as Esther’s, Esty’s, and Leiba’s stuff so they can be prominently displayed in one area so we Masterpiecers (thanks Esty!) get to shep nachas?

• Fayge Y.

June 19, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Oh, I am? I’ve got this. I can do it! Yes, I can. Right after I make the chicken. Gut Shabbos!

• Fiction Fangirl

June 19, 2020 at 8:09 pm

Oh, but you shall.  For I am intrigued.  Real Bochrim Don’t Use Spoons sounds like the next great YA bestseller.

But go tend to your chicken.  Spoons can wait.  Forks and knives shall have to take its place.

I mean, chicken.  You can’t saw through them with a spoon.

Or you could?  That’s up to the Real Bochrim to decide.

Have a great Shabbos!

• Brocha

June 19, 2020 at 8:43 pm

Fiction Fangirl, you rock

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content