Home Forums Reading Room E-books

• E-books

Drop-a-line updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago 4 Members · 7 Posts
  • Drop-a-line

October 27, 2020 at 11:27 am

<p>Anyone have good kosher e-books to recommend? Thanks in advance!<br><br></p>

• Fiction Fangirl

October 29, 2020 at 12:53 am

Afraid not. Nothing beats thumbing through the pages of an actual book…But I think you can check out your favorite novels on Amazon. A lot of them are published in Kindle version I think.

• HappiWriter

October 29, 2020 at 3:19 am

Not sure what you mean by “kosher”, but I don’t think most frum publishers publish e-books?

Correct me if I’m wrong…

• Drop-a-line

October 29, 2020 at 11:29 am

I’ll explain; I live in a non-English speaking country.
    As a child, I read out literally the entire school library. Thick, thin, shiny, softcover, hardback and down to last unattractive musty smelling book. When I was done with that I realized I need to start reading English. My mother used to go on weekly trips to the local Jewish library for me first, but when 6 books stopped being enough (I read mainly during breakfast, lunch and supper and later under my covers:)) she decided to let me go myself, even though the opening hours where only after my bedtime:).
    Okay, where was I going with this? Oh yeah, so while I know all the classics in my local language as well as most of the Jewish literature (in English) out there, I wouldn’t know which English classics are appropriate.
    So I’d love a list of that! Most classics can be found online in E-book format…
    (Problem is of course, I only have time to read on shabbos and I only read Jewish books then:) and it has to be real paper too:))
    I’ve read the really famous ones (Sara Crewe, secret garden etc.) but not more than that.

Any ideas?

• Bookworm

October 29, 2020 at 12:18 pm

From the same author of Secret Garden and Little Princes Sara there is Little Lord Fauntleroy. If you read the other two books then you possibly read this one already as well, but just in case you didn’t yet…

• HappiWriter

October 29, 2020 at 2:43 pm

“Prince and Pauper” by Mark Twain is okay, I think. Could be there’s one or two problematic pages. I didn’t read all his other books. I started reading “The Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court” but stopped in middle. It’s weird. Don’t read it.

“The Secret Garden.”

“Hans Brinker, or The Silver Skates.”

“Anne of Green Gables” is not bad.

“Number the Stars” we read in school – could be a censored version…

Can’t think of anything else off hand.

Again, these weren’t written by Jewish authors so there are different standards… It’s hard to fully recommend books because I don’t know you or your standards.

• Drop-a-line

October 29, 2020 at 2:54 pm

I never read Jewish books before I was about 10 because I found reading in Yiddish tiresome and I couldn’t read English yet. So I’m aware of the differences:) How to explain my standards? Any book is fine as long as it uses basically clean language and leaves out the inappropes topics…
    I have read most of the suggestions mentioned above though:)

Thanks all!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content