Home2 Forums Editing & Proofreading Digits or Words?

• Digits or Words?

Anagrammer updated 7 months ago 6Members · 6 Posts
  • Sury

June 14, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Okay, random question I’ve been thinking about…

Has anyone got any idea when to use numbers/digits (e.g. 3) or spell out the word (e.g. three), in writing?

It’s a bit muddling sometimes, and I’d like to know if there’s some sort of rule for it?

• StoryLuver

June 14, 2020 at 7:19 pm

Just from what  I’ve noticed, it seems that numbers are written in standard form for numbers one through ten; and in digits for numbers 100 and higher. (124, not one hundred-twenty-four).

Two-digit numbers seem to be a gray area. I’ve seen both.

• Brocha

June 14, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Another thing. I’ve never seen a digit begin a sentence.

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    June 14, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Great question, Sury, and I’m hoping one of our astute proofreaders/editors on Masterpiece can weigh in.

Here’s a pretty simplified resource I found:

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/grammar/writing_numbers.html

Personally, I go by what looks and feels most appropriate to me in the moment. And then wait for the copyeditor to pounce! 🙂

• Baila

June 16, 2020 at 3:53 pm

I was taught that numbers between one and ten are written out and numbers 11 and higher are written as digits.

• Anagrammer

June 16, 2020 at 8:00 pm

I remember being taught at one point that you should spell the number out if it can be written in two words or fewer (e.g. one hundred). I think, though, that it is extremely controversial; the one thing everyone agrees on is that numbers 1-9 should be spelled out. Two digit numbers are iffy and are generally a matter of style.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content