Home Forums Tip of the Day Character Flaws and Relationship Issues

• Character Flaws and Relationship Issues

Elisheva updated 4 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 5 Posts
  • Elisheva

June 8, 2021 at 6:12 am

Soooo….One thing I learned about fiction writing is to make sure your main character starts out FLAWED. Yes, like not pretty flaws. Of course, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be cool and awesome and unique, but making them flawed makes them human and thereby relatable. And, honestly, if they aren’t flawed, what’s your story about? The whole point of a story is to watch someone transform before your eyes.

This got me thinking…life is really about relationships and how we learn to navigate them, and therefore, stories also should be. I started thinking about how our character’s flaws should shine the most through their relationships–and then we can watch them fix it!

Here is a handy list of some common relationship issues you can give your character and what they need to learn to fix their relationship issues (based on Laura Doyle’s intimacy skills):

Issues with setting boundaries, codependency, people pleaser—need to learn the art of self-care and setting boundaries in relationships

Issues with judging others, being ridged in their views, expecting perfect performance of others, difficult time forgiving and admitting mistakes—need to learn how to let go of boundaries and see another person’s POV—the art of respecting another person

Issues with opening up to others and sharing their true feelings, issues with trusting others which makes them image conscious to get the attention they crave (including overachievement, workaholism, and over rationalizing relationships)—need to learn the art of vulnerability and trusting others with their feelings

Issues with controlling others, being aggressive and not taking other’s feelings into account—need to learn how to relinquish control

Issues with being passive in conflict; pretending like nothing is wrong, for the sake of peace, ignoring problems in relationships –need to realize that problems are not bad or an indicator of lack of worth, they are the breeding ground for coming closer–the art of acceptance and gratitude

Issues with having a passive-aggressive pattern to dealing with issues in relationships, as well as becoming overly clingy and dependent on certain people, seeking security—need to learn the art of communication in relationships and how to say what they want in an undemanding way

Issues with feeling victimized in relationships, feeling helpless and powerless to change anything, self-esteem issues–need to learn the art of being a receiver, which involves all of the above skills, to give them the power they need to change their relationships around

I hope this will further help you flesh out your characters and give them more layers and dimensions. I know this has helped me (who knew that when you write a story you are a relationship coach in disguise?)

• Sury

June 9, 2021 at 7:20 pm

This is an awesome tip, @elisheva92 ! You’ve put down some really important points about human flaws in relationships. As a fan of Laura Doyle’s relationship skills, this is incredibly helpful for me to develop the characters and their relationship struggles in my novel. Thanks a bunch for sharing!!

• HappiWriter

June 9, 2021 at 8:41 pm

@elisheva This is Awesome!!!

• PassionforWriting

June 9, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Wow, this is amazing @elisheva92 ! You really covered many issues!

And, I still say you should go for writing a book on how to write – the idea you had but were unsure if you can because you never wrote a novel. I mean, there’s tons of information here! 🙂

• Elisheva

June 10, 2021 at 5:48 am

Thank you all for your encouragement!!!

This is in no means supposed to limit your writing; just to be a tool for anyone who wants to explore relationship issues the MC has

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Terms & Agreement

I affirm that I am known in my community to be a frum woman and I will adhere to all the rules and guidelines of this community. I understand that Masterpiece has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism, flaming, snide remarks, trolling, stalking, or the debate of religious or political issues and all other items specified in our Terms & Conditions. Failure to comply with these rules will result in termination of your account without a refund.

Terms & Agreement

I affirm that I am known in my community to be a frum woman and I will adhere to all the rules and guidelines of this community. I understand that Masterpiece has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism, flaming, snide remarks, trolling, stalking, or the debate of religious or political issues and all other items specified in our Terms & Conditions. Failure to comply with these rules will result in termination of your account without a refund.

MONTHLY PLAN

Billed monthly
$15
$ 10
Per Month
  • Unlimited Access to all Forums
  • 24/6 Support
  • Free Admission to Exclusive Events
  • Showcase your Work
  • Hang out with the biggest names in frum writing!
  • Flex Payment
  • Money-Back Guarantee for up to 1 week after signup
Popular

ANNUAL PLAN

Billed in a single payment
$180
$ 100
Annually
  • Unlimited Access to all Forums
  • 24/6 Support
  • Free Admission to Exclusive Events
  • Showcase your Work
  • Hang out with the biggest names in frum writing!
  • Money-Back Guarantee for up to 1 week after signup
  • Get 2 Months FREE! PLUS, Lock in your LOW Price!

How can we help?

Need help? Send us a message below and we will get back to you shortly.

Have you watched our Tutorial video yet? Please note some design features have changed since the Tutorial was created.

Skip to content