Home Forums Tip of the Day Beautiful writing for today… A.A. Milne

• Beautiful writing for today… A.A. Milne

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    June 10, 2021 at 10:00 am

It’s no surprise that the beautifully effortless, eminently captivating writing of A.A. Milne is timeless. His Winnie the Pooh series has been translated into fifty languages and is beloved to both children and adults alike. As I was flipping through The House At Pooh Corner today, I came across a paragraph written in a completely different style than the rest of the book. It is very reminiscent of the writing of Herman Hesse, who is a master of a style that I loved to imitate as a teenager. Specifically, his book Siddharta, is amazingly similar in style to this particular paragraph, which I wanted to share with you today. Listen to the cadence, the imagery, the soft, lush, flowing verse. It makes my spirit do these delighted flip-flops! πŸ™‚

Also fascinating is the idea that you can totally change writing style for one brief paragraph, in the middle of a completely different vibe that comprises the rest of the book!

By the time it came to the edge of the Forest, the stream had grown up, so that it was almost a river, and, being grown-up, it did not run and jump and sparkle along as it used to do when it was younger, but moved more slowly. For it knew now where it was going, and it said to itself, “There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.” But all the little streams higher up in the Forest went this way and that, quickly, eagerly, having so much to find out before it was too late.

• HappiWriter

June 10, 2021 at 2:23 pm

@rivariva this is soooo good, gave me chills, that’s how good it is.

Thanks for sharing!!

• Fiction Fangirl

June 10, 2021 at 4:50 pm

My day! Has been made. Mmm…pretty words; delightful meanings. Me love poetic imagery. It’s just so…intelligent? Makes me think. Slow down and take things in. Is this really Winnie the Pooh? I better dig up my old books!

• Chaya S

June 10, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Love love love this!!! Triple heartπŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–. Absolutely beautiful writing!!!!!!

• Elisheva

June 11, 2021 at 2:50 am

Gorgeous. Who knew that streams could grow up? Ahhh I guess there is still hope for me (and I’m 29!!!)

• Kayla-Oppenheimer

June 15, 2021 at 3:26 am

Love this, @rivariva the imagery is awesome and the description of the river and the river talking to itself is an unusual blend. Can just picture the excited streams and rivulets

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content