• A COVID Low

• Mali

October 18, 2020 at 5:10 pm
    Sometimes, these days, the news come. And sometimes, they hit with a massive blow of devastation. It lasts for a few moments, and looks like this:
    LikeChocolate chipsBeing pluckedOf a cookieLikeLeavesBeing yankedOff a treeLikeWellsBeing emptiedOf their waterLikeMinesVacatedOf goldLikeWarmthGone missingFrom heatLikeFlowersGoing deadIn their primeLikeKneesBucklingUnder pressureLikeSugarBeing burntTo a crispLikeRoofsCollapsingIn silenceLikeLightsSlowly flicking offThe world is coming to an end.
  • Mali

October 18, 2020 at 5:17 pm

The formatting🤨

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      October 18, 2020 at 6:09 pm

Oish, Mali, I’m so sad that your piece got squashed. Tell me how you inputted it to Masterpiece. Did you copy/paste from Word? Did you type it directly into the site? I want to fix this!! On another note, your piece is so poignant and evocative. The imagery is so vivid and there is so much pain and rawness behind it which is something I think we all relate to on some level right now. It is reminding me of the epic poem, The Hollow Men, by T.S. Elliot, which I studied many years ago: This is the way the world endsThis is the way the world endsThis is the way the world endsNot with a bang, but a whimper.Interestingly–and very apropos to your piece and world events, Elliot wrote his poem post-World War I when the threat of nuclear war and the end of the world felt very real. According to a piece I just read on Wikipedia, when asked in 1958 whether he would write those lines again, he answered, “No.”https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollow_Men

• Mali

October 19, 2020 at 2:12 am

Riva, thanks for your sympathy;), and compliments on the poem. I’m trying to find Elliot’s full poem online…Re the format, I’ve tried all ways. Word, just typed, pasted from emails…I see your format flopped here, too. Is there something you did differently than any of your posts that ‘worked’?

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
      October 19, 2020 at 1:28 pm

Gonna have my developer work on this more…so sorry :-(….At least you know the system isn’t into favoritism for administrators :-).Either he meant to take back what he said, as in regret, or he just felt that he had been wrong, so he would correct his position in hindsight. At least that would be my assumption…

• Mali

October 19, 2020 at 2:13 am

And about him saying he wouldn’t write those words again- was it self-critic for being a voice of doom?

• Anagrammer

October 18, 2020 at 7:12 pm

<p>Oh, do I relate to this! It’s a very scary feeling, watching everything around you crumble… It makes me feel helpless, and wow – you put it into words so well, Mali.</p>

• Mali

October 19, 2020 at 2:20 am

Thanks for that. It’s just like a jumble of little and big traumas for everyone. But this feeling, along with its causes, shall pass too bezH. Ya?

• PassionforWriting

October 19, 2020 at 2:22 am

Yes, Iy”H!!!! Gam Zeh Ya’avor… not to minimize anyone’s hardships, though..

• PassionforWriting

October 18, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Wow, I can also relate to the fear… there’s SO much going; too much!!! 🙁

• Mali

October 19, 2020 at 2:21 am

Agreed.

• HappiWriter

October 19, 2020 at 2:30 pm

<p>Cool!! Love!!</p><p>BTW, I’m seriously starting to daven for the future of this crazy mad world. Mashiach has to come fast…</p>

• Bookworm

October 19, 2020 at 8:47 pm

I don’t want to minimize anyone’s hardships either but I do want to spread some positivity. I don’t think were doing anyone a favor if we are sending emails saying that the world is crashing on us. I got such an email before Pessach when this whole virus was new still, and it said in it that the world is crashing on us and who would ever have believed?! My, did I get a panic attack! For nothing B”H… Whoever sends such emails around: Please do your stuff, learn Chovos Halevovos Shaar Bitachon but don’t send such negative, anxiety-triggering emails around! We know what’s going on, without these emails! If you have something positive and enlightening to share, please! We have enough negative stuff going on. I don’t need another in my inbox…Thank you and may we all be well and healthy!

• PassionforWriting

October 19, 2020 at 9:25 pm

100% true, Bookworm. I agree, and at the same time, we do need to do whatever we need to do to be informed… But definitely not to talk about it all the time.

• Anagrammer

October 19, 2020 at 11:07 pm

<p>Bookworm, I just want to respond to this by putting a positive spin on the “negativity”. </p><p>To us, believing Jews, the world coming to an end is a good thing. We know that it is darkest before dawn and that Mashaich will come as a bright light in a time of utter darkness. We have countless nevuos stating that in the days leading up to Mashiach, the world will yes, collapse. World leaders will fall. Empires will crumble. Humanity will wither. </p><p>So Mali’s poem (and others like it) gives me so much chizuk (even as it frightens me). Down with the world. We concede that there is no one and nothing of power… Finally – Hashem, we’re ready for You to reveal Yourself.</p><p>That’s my take.</p>

• Mali

October 19, 2020 at 11:26 pm

Whoa, girls. So Bookworm, you’re right. Negativity definitely has no place in Yiddishkeit. And to quote my favorite rebbetzin, “We don’t have the luxury to think in a negative way, because thoughts create reality. ” I agree that it is insensitive to share anything that may be triggering to anyone, and cause people to feel a sense of impending doom. Or panic. Or any relative of that. What I have learned, though ( or at least that is where I am at at this point), is that feelings are real. And unless acknowledged or expressed to some extent, they just create harm. So when I was feeling this panic you are describing, I wrote this poem. To get it out. So it can pass. Not to create a ripple effect of negativity. (Obvs, I shared it because I thought it came out cool, and wanted to see if it resonates with anyone else.)That’s as far as the explanation goes…But I definitely know what to consider next time I do post something of an emotional nature! Thanks for the awareness.

• Mali

October 19, 2020 at 11:27 pm

Ana, that is super insightful. You sound really learned.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

RELAX. ENJOY.

Send me the
event info

Skip to content