Home Forums Tip of the Day Awesome writing exercise Reply To: Awesome writing exercise

• A Willing Pen

July 7, 2020 at 11:30 pm

Thanks for breaking the ice on this thread HappiWriter! Yes!! I love this writing tip as well. I’ve tried it a couple of times, especially with poetry and it’s been fun and challenging and quite satisfactory. A similar tip I heard, was just to sit and type a couple of pages of the actual author’s writing to get a feel for the voice, flow and style.

A while back I came across this very free kind of writing style, a cross between poetry, spoken poetry and prose. I had a tremendous itch to try it and the actual act of writing in that style was so fun and freeing and creative. I’m posting here, although I’m hoping that I’m not diverting the thread. . . ‘Cuz I think that a number of Masterpiece members would love to try their hands at  M. Kenan’s style. . .

Tell Me A Story In Riddles

Tell me a story in riddles

With my mind trailing behind you like the tail of a diamond kite, in delicious anticipation.  Of flying, of breadth, of vistas. Like a skipping child, keeping time with her daddy’s longer stride. On the way to the candy store, or is it a hike? leave the blanks. So I can fill them in with me and then the you and me become, and there is just the stream in the woods, that is the stream of words, that is the story, that is us.

Take me along on your story

Unravel the tightly knit cardigan so I can feel the itchy wool, or was it a soft angora? against my cheek, and hear the tic, tic, clicking of the needles that sooth the stabs with their rhythm – steady, predictable, soft with a hardness, and help me the smell the acid of winds that unraveled and see the glimmer in the thread of hope that has kept you hanging on. Walk the path you’ve trodden. Take me, but don’t give me heed, and then your story, which is mine, has been reborn and is alive for a purpose.

Bequeath to me your story

It’s a gift where both receive. And in doing so you tie the ribbon of common thread on humanity. But don’t wrap it up and tie it with a bow. Because Life.  Keeps the fringes flying in the wind on the tail of the kite as my story soars and dips and dips and soars and plunges. Lifeless. And feels the wind in its sails and flutters off again.

Tell me my story in riddles

Terms & Agreement

I affirm that I am known in my community to be a frum woman and I will adhere to all the rules and guidelines of this community. I understand that Masterpiece has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism, flaming, snide remarks, trolling, stalking, or the debate of religious or political issues and all other items specified in our Terms & Conditions. Failure to comply with these rules will result in termination of your account without a refund.

Terms & Agreement

I affirm that I am known in my community to be a frum woman and I will adhere to all the rules and guidelines of this community. I understand that Masterpiece has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism, flaming, snide remarks, trolling, stalking, or the debate of religious or political issues and all other items specified in our Terms & Conditions. Failure to comply with these rules will result in termination of your account without a refund.

MONTHLY PLAN

Billed monthly
$15
$ 10
Per Month
  • Unlimited Access to all Forums
  • 24/6 Support
  • Free Admission to Exclusive Events
  • Showcase your Work
  • Hang out with the biggest names in frum writing!
  • Flex Payment
  • Money-Back Guarantee for up to 1 week after signup
Popular

ANNUAL PLAN

Billed in a single payment
$180
$ 100
Annually
  • Unlimited Access to all Forums
  • 24/6 Support
  • Free Admission to Exclusive Events
  • Showcase your Work
  • Hang out with the biggest names in frum writing!
  • Money-Back Guarantee for up to 1 week after signup
  • Get 2 Months FREE! PLUS, Lock in your LOW Price!

How can we help?

Need help? Send us a message below and we will get back to you shortly.

Have you watched our Tutorial video yet? Please note some design features have changed since the Tutorial was created.

Skip to content