Home2 Forums Reading Room Books (Jewish Genre) for Tween Age Group (Girls) Reply To: Books (Jewish Genre) for Tween Age Group (Girls)

• Fayge Y.

July 2, 2020 at 12:37 am

Beverly Cleary is clean but probably below her level. And the books are replete with “stupid”s and “shut up”s. YMMV.

As for Andrew Clements, he’s great. I continued to read his books even after my kids outgrew them. I’d probably let my kids read them if they were of an age and interested but you should be aware that there’s mild boy-girl stuff in everything I’ve read the last few years.

She might like the adult version of Henny Machlis, a”h. But I have an approach to offering kids books: Some books they would enjoy more a year or two later. I try to stall, because if they read the book too early they might not like it, quit it, and then not pick it up again when it’s really appropriate. I doubt that would be the case with Emunah with Love and Chicken Soup because she’s already interested, but it is something to bear in mind. Though from what you’re saying, she might be past that and ready for anything.

There are many marvelous biographies. From Djerba to Jerusalem, Rebbetzin Kanievsky (several biographies!), As Long as I Live, To Remain a Jew, Go My Son. I could go on. I loved the biography of Rav Gustman, zt”l but for her, not yet.

Skip to content