Home Forums Humor Humorous Article in not-necessarily humorous column Reply To: Humorous Article in not-necessarily humorous column

• riva pomerantz

Administrator
    June 23, 2020 at 8:11 am

[quote quote=19173]I cannot believe that it has come to this.  But I must apologize profusely to you.  As hard as I’ve tried to come up with an idea for this week’s column, I have no Slice (name of column) to share with you. I’ve been wracking my brain for days and I’ve come up empty handed. The publishers of  (the publication) are unusually nice people.  They allow me to submit articles as often as I want and never pressure me in any way.  But I feel an internal pressure, a sense of responsibility to provide you, my readers, with a weekly submission.  I’m always on the lookout for an interesting story, place, or event, anything to give you some pleasant reading material for these long Shabbos afternoons. I’m ever poised to take a picture because I never know when I will come across something that will be the perfect photo to accompany my article. But ideas for submissions come from going to interesting places and experiencing human interaction, both of which have been somewhat curtailed these days.  I get out, but still not as much as I did in pre-corona days.  I did go to Kever Rachel which was as empty as I’ve ever seen it, but I care too much about all of you to write an article so similar to another one I wrote so recently. However, I will attach a photo of it because I can’t help myself.[/quote]

Mommy’s Writing, I think the idea is very cute and that your readers will appreciate it. Maybe you can rework the beginning to make it seem not like an apology (which would imply some kind of subpar work or something to be ashamed of), but rather an intentional reflection on your sink and your stove. All readers can relate to that now that we’re intimately familiar with lockdown and it would definitely elicit a giggle. If you rewrite the piece as a le’chatchila reflection on corona then you’ll put a different spin on things. Maybe start with a catchy sentence, something like:

Well, folks, you know how I like to bring you exciting, inspiring events and snapshots from my colorful life. Boy do I have news for you today! This week, I’ve got a whopper of a column, and you’ll never believe it: this hefty dose of insight and intrigue was obtained without ever leaving my house! Betcha can’t relate…

🙂

Skip to content