Home2 Forums Reading Room Why and What I Read (A Bit of a Personal Post!) Reply To: Why and What I Read (A Bit of a Personal Post!)

• StoryLuver

May 24, 2020 at 3:48 am

I loved the book Code One by Yitzchak Goldman- he is an amazing writer,  his characters are witty, entertaining and well-developed and the plot is riveting. It’s the kind of book you want to reread as soon as you finish it. He’s written other books too, I just haven’t read all of them.

They say there 3 elements that books can be focused on: plot-based, character-based, and world-based (with a richly described, unique environment). HP is very strong in all three, which is I guess what makes it so popular.

Jewish books,  I feel like,  fall pretty much into one two of these categories: Male-oriented (usually plot-based) and female-oriented (usually character-based). World-based plots don’t seem to feature very much at all (except maybe in M. Kenan’s series- yes she is a she).

What I would love to see more of in Frum books is those that are very strong in both plot and character,  and better yet also in world.

Not that they don’t exist,  it just seems hard to find.

Skip to content